Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2014, 08:19 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
No it's not. No awful teen angst and it's very dark in places. As said before both the young actress playing Selina and copplepot are excellent, especially the actor playing copplepot. Im really enjoy it Gordon is ok as he just starting out and the events in the series will mold him into the Gordon we know. The only one I can't get into is Sean pertwee as Alfred.
"MARSTER BRUCE YOU SLAAAAAAAAAAAAGG!"

All kidding aside I rather like gotham so far. Even if its a run of the mill police procedural show set in gotham city with tons of Police corruption.
Old 14th October 2014, 08:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
"MARSTER BRUCE YOU SLAAAAAAAAAAAAGG!"

All kidding aside I rather like gotham so far. Even if its a run of the mill police procedural show set in gotham city with tons of Police corruption.
That actually sounds about right. He would be more at home on Eastenders. If it was not set in Gotham and had characters like copplepot etc it would of been a average police procedural show but the charcters and setting add the extra something
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th October 2014, 08:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Haven't posted on this thread in ages, but with exams coming up, any excuse to procrastinate will kick my ass into gear.

Rec 2 - Great improvement upon the first, and the first was great. 2nd one went immediately straight into the action and investigation, and getting the back story to the situation was very nice. This was a solid 7 or 8, right up until the end, when the night vision cameras come on. The walls and doors appearing and disappearing in the dark was a great concept, and the freaky thing with the hammer was awesome. 9/10

The Skin I Live In - A tad slow, but once the back story starts 40 minutes in, this seriously disturbing revenge story kicks into gear. Extremely interesting concept and well executed, just a bit of pacing problems. 8/10

One Missed Call (Japanese) - No matter how desensitized I've become, Japanese horror movies always manage to scare the shit out of me. Case in point right here. Had to turn it off at the hospital scene and finish the next day (Don't judge me, it was a late night and I was alone.) While some think it's a rip off of other earlier J Horrors, I love the concept, with great twists, ridiculous kills and very good suspense. 9/10

The 'Burbs - Fantastic. What a great time I had watching this. Ridiculous concept with ridiculous performances by a fantastic all round cast (Tom Hanks, Corey Feldman, Carey Fisher!!!). Absolute hoot, even if it got a bit too silly at end. Loved the score as well.

Nightmare - Grimy, gritty, sleazy, and famously, nasty. Didn't hold the impact second time around it had first time (I honestly thought the kid had gotten stabbed). Very interesting slasher, with a unique take on things. Fantastically brutal gore effects, and some nice tense scenes. Sadly, performances are a bit cheesy and writing is too, but what's to be expected from a 80's slasher? 7/10

Goto, The Isle Of Love - Fairly slow at times, but what an interesting concept. Loved the fly traps. 9/10

Blanche - Super slow and tedious at first, but by the time the page got walled in, things became very very interesting, and almost felt worthy of Shakespeare. Also noticing Borowzyck's earlier works are all very front on, almost like watching a play. 7/10

The Theatre of Mr and Mrs Kabal - God this was tedious. If all the different bits (ie, the beach, inside Mrs Kabal, etc.) were individual short films, it'd be great, but all lumped together, with minimal dialogue or explanation, or anything really, got very very old very quickly. 4/10

Immoral Tales - First time watching erotica of any kind (if it's even considered that, idk), and was quite excited as the concept interested me greatly. Watched the L'Age D'Or cut. For the most part, I really really liked this. But the long lingering explicit shots of bodies detracted for the film experience in my opinion, and the second segment was almost a bit too much. As for the Beast segment, that was so stupid and explicit I completely understand why it got it's own movie instead of ruining the mood of this film. I look forward to seeing more of his work (and eventually the Beast if I get a chance) 9/10

No Country For Old Men - Slow, quiet, but simply fantastic. The menace brought by Anton Chigurh's character, and great honest performances by Josh Brolin and co, made this a very very enjoyable film. Ending and twist were rather... Interesting, but I felt they defined the characters 10/10

The Raid 2 - Amazing action sequences, but a weak plot, and a bit overlong. Not to mention the prison yard fight's levels of brutality were maybe a tad too much. 8/10

Pink Floyd's The Wall - A sobering emotional experience. A favorite of mine, seen many times, I took my girlfriend to see it with me in 70mm. Rude shock when the black opening was, ironically, pink. The print had faded to extreme levels in the first reels, but luckily it fixed mostly for the rest, retaining a slight pink/orange feel to it. Girlfriend thought it was great, but frightening. 10/10

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 14th October 2014, 10:28 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'StageFright' - I'm not as big a fan of Italian flicks as most(all?) here at CL, but I really liked this. From the 1 hour point until the end was particulary good, and the sequence that starts with Alicia(?) walking down the hallway of closed doors and ends with her hiding in the shower was damn near perfect. Could have done without the final scene, but I guess it was a bit of a tounge-in-cheek tribute to Jason, Michael Myers, Freddy etc?
Great overall package from Exposure, will be looking out for the next title in the series.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

DERANGED - Frankie's Poundland adventures continue with 'Deranged', which, needless to say, isn't the Alan Ormsby classic, and isn't all that deranged either. It probably doesn't feature very often on Craig Fairbrass's resume - need I continue? OK, well actually, it's not all that bad, but those looking for a novel plotline won't be happy - three foul mouthed Brit women team up with their college chum in the latter's Spanish villa and, before they can get down and party, bad stuff unfolds in a slasher cliché fashion. Maybe that's a bit unfair, as 'Deranged' does try to play it a bit twisty, but its narrative and aesthetic essences are summed up by the DVD cover. Anyway, there are some plus points which push it up a couple of notches - the ridiculous 'death of the host' scene, where one of the Brit chicks flounces around on E and ends up shagging a stripper, Craig Fairbrass going cockerny overkill in a room full of dismembered doll parts, some nicely bad acting by murderer girl. But it's all a bit lite at the end of the day. Will I ever watch it again? I doubt it, but there are far worse pick ups out there in the Poundland.

I also got hold of 'Sleep Tight' for a princely £1, which I was really pleased about - I watched it on Lovefilm originally, and have to say that it was one of the best horror tinged thrillers I'd seen in a while. I won't review it again, but do get hold of it if you clock it in a £land near you, it really is a good film.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:30 AM
Cult Rookie

I watched Cabin In the Woods last night after the guy at HMV sold it to me for £1.50, I didn't mind...

Decent flick, not at all what i expected, it has the usual horror movie cliches to it at the start but SPOILER ALERT:

It takes a complete left turn towards the end, it gets hinted at I suppose throughout, but you're not entirely sure where it is going to go. My missus didn't think it was that good, but I found it enjoyable enough and the 'twist' if you like was a complete surpise.

Not your typical cliched affair after all.

I'd give it a 7/10.
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th October 2014, 12:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
DERANGED -
I picked this up around this time last year and saw it in January. it was one of those with a gorgeous slip case which tempted me to part with a fiver.
What Films Have You Seen Recently?
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 14th October 2014, 03:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Witchboard (1986, Kevin S Tenney)

More or less a drama about two estranged friends. I always rememebered the VHS cover from back in the day. Am glad it sat on the shelf ahem. Dryly dull and rushed is a hard act to pull off, but this film managed it in spades

Hound Of The Baskervilles (1978, Paul Morrissey)
Laugh? Well, I did actually, more at the toecurling nature of the gags than at anything else. They also crowbar in the "One Leg Too Few" sketch, which shows the state of Cook's muse at the time...watched the 71 minute version (both are on the Prism dvd etc). Will peruse the longer cut at weekend.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th October 2014, 03:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Equinox (1970)

Equinox is a curious little film, which shares more than a few similarities with its 11 year junior The Evil Dead.

Two couples take a road trip into the woods one day to have a picnic with the intention of meeting up with a professor friend. They arrive to find the professor's cabin has been crushed and that there is no sign of him. Exploring the area for clues leads the quartet to stumble across an insane old man living in a cave who hands them an old book - which just happens to be The Necronomicon (or a variation of)...

As you can expect, the book is opened and passages recited which conjures up all manner of beasts - all of which are depicted via wonderful stop-motion model effects. It is here where the film really shines as our quartet of teens are assaulted from all angles by otherworldly creatures having also to contend with strange invisible barriers and a park ranger who isn't all he seems to be.

The film's main failing lies in its narrative structure which unfortunately takes the form of the sole survivor recanting the tale of what happened on the ill-fated picnic via flashback sequences to a psychiatrist. This device in many ways takes a large chunk of the mystery away from the tale and instead of building suspense and the viewer working towards who will live and who will die, this has all been neatly resolved for you in the first ten minutes. However, the ending does at least provide a little counteractive nudge more towards the mysterious, albeit if not entirely unexpected.

Overall, despite its low budget trappings, Equinox is highly enjoyable, both as a dark magic fueled tale of the supernatural and as a precursor to the raw and atmospheric The Evil Dead.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 06:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

CURSE OF THE CRIMSON ALTAR
A real curio that seems to be a hybrid of old fashioned gothic horror, with groovy late 60s psychedelia.
A number of horror greats are here, including Boris Karloff, who turns in a wonderful performance ( particularly when you realise how ill he was at the time ).
Not only that, but this is the full uncut version of the movie.
Picture quality is fantastic too.
It's not a classic, but definitely recommended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!