Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2014, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
MTDS i am sure i read your review of the owl tv show thing a while back! i might go back into the review thread and see if i can get a Folk Horror thread going.
I think I started one but can't remember what I called it. I'll have a look and bump it up if I find it.
Old 14th October 2014, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Oh and if Dem recommends The Wicker Tree...ignore him!

I'd recommend The Witches and Ghost Stories for Christmas as ones that haven't been mentioned yet.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I'd recommend The Witches and Ghost Stories for Christmas as ones that haven't been mentioned yet.
Thanks Dem, I have some 'borrowed' episodes from the Ghosts stories for christmas and i really really love them. Whistle and i will come to you is brilliant. it's £25 on dvd in Fopp at the moment so i hope after dropping hints to the other half that she will pick it up for me for christmas.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:18 PM
Cult Addict

Vipp, the folk horror reviews start on page 172 of the CLMR thread.
Vipp likes this.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

RAGE - Part three of the Teardrop Poundland saga. 'Rage' is a sort-of 'Duel' rip-off about a philandering writer who is victimised by a disgruntled motorcyclist. His past follies come home roost when his wife is brutally raped and his elderly neighbours are chainsawed by motorpsycho guy. I can't really recommend 'Rage', although I tried to like it. The bedroom violation scene is, whilst not explicit, fairly grimy and harrowing and I suppose the last twenty minutes on the whole are possessed of an OK level of nastiness which would've made 'Rage' more of a proposition had the rest of it shown similar tendencies. But 'Rage' is mostly about build-up - not a problem in itself, but the backstory here is clichéd and fumbling, and the man-against-cyclist pursuit is tension free. It put me in mind of 'Duel again and made me want to watch it, and I feel I'm being very generous in saying that maybe that's where my pound really went in this case.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
RAGE - .
Shame as i quite like the cover.

Oh well it's a pound towards something else.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 15th October 2014, 01:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Julie Darling Julie(Isabella Mejia), is a disturbed teenage girl who has a bizarre infatuation with her dad (Antonio Franciosa) who we all know from Tenebrae. Julie is so obsessed with her father that woe betide anyone who comes between them, including her own mother who she lets die when attacked by a rapist in her own home.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, eventhough it has a tv film kind of feel to it.
The Code Red dvd is pretty solid as well.
Old 15th October 2014, 04:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Frozen Ground - 2013. (Currently on Netflix UK)
Nicolas Cage and that dude from High Fidelity are just brilliant in this movie. I watched a documentary on the serial killer this film is based on and the movie really does a great job of re telling (briefly) the story of the victims and the one woman who survived his attack.

If you haven't seen this film but have an interest in films based on real events i would highly recommend this hidden gem. I will say i can't stand N.Cage i think he can't act but this movie changed my mind about him. he can be great in films.

Another interesting fact for those interested, the serial killer this film is about died just 2 months ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FGround.jpg (31.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 15th October 2014, 04:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Fog (1980)

John Carpenter's classic exercise in supernatural horror. A sinister mist coming in from the sea envelops the sleepy coastal California community of Antonio Bay. From out of the fog come decaying corpses of mariners, armed with hooks, pikes and other weapons to tear the flesh, seeking retribution and vengeance for past deeds steeped in greed and murder.

Director Carpenter who co-wrote the script with long time collaborator Debra Hill, and also has a small cameo, plays on our innermost fears of the dark and the unknown, delivering atmospheric shock after shock as the fog slowly consumes the town.

Still frightening today. The Fog is a masterpiece of horror cinema.

This is an abridged version of a review that appears here. https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/mem...tml#post421478
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thefog.jpg (97.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 15th October 2014, 05:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Evil (1978)

Overall, The Evil is a pretty formulaic haunted house flick in as much as we have a psychologist and his group of co-workers trapped inside an old mansion courtesy of a malevolent force of some kind.

Supernatural events start to occur gradually increasing in frequency and severity, in turn tormenting the various bell-bottom trouser sporting cast members, all of which leads to some creative kills and spills (and a spectral sexual assault) along the way.

However, the final act tilts more towards the bat-shit insane end of the paranormal scale, as our resident supernatural entity grows tired of playing little ghastly games in favour of revealing themselves and inflicting some truly torturous terror on the remaining members of the cast.

Evil by name, evil by nature indeed.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!