All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2014, 11:43 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great review, Frankie, I think Mama is one of the better recent horror films from the US as it isn't overreliant on cheap scares and actually has some substance to the subtext, giving the ending some semblance of an emotional payoff, something lacking from most mainstream horror films in the 21st century.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:02 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

A well written review Frankie, despite my disagreeing with you with regards to the merits of the film itself. I was one of the people who found Mama to be a trudge into boredom. Terrible CGI too, which drove me to distraction.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A well written review Frankie, despite my disagreeing with you with regards to the merits of the film itself. I was one of the people who found Mama to be a trudge into boredom. Terrible CGI too, which drove me to distraction.
I have quite a high tolerance of CGI, and in fact I think really shit CGI can bring something to a certain kind of awful microbudget horror... that said, the computer stuff in 'Mama' didn't grate at all for me, and looked pretty appropriate considering tone and atmosphere etc... I agree that the appearance of blunt CGI in otherwise well made upper tier movies can really sink things.
Old 27th October 2014, 01:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

More Napoleon outfit dodging viewing...

The Scarlet Claw (1944) – Fun Sherlock Holmes romp with Basil Rathbone. This is an enjoyable mystery thriller which engaged me right up to its conclusion. Recommended.

Under the Skin (2013) – A film where I’d convinced myself going in that I’d end up liking it more than I actually did. A minimalistically stylish experience which plays to my love of the strangely under-stated, yet mixed feelings congeal together as that familiar pang of connectivity is coupled with a slightly stale after taste, all the while leaving your mind wandering in a chasm like void. A generous 7 out of 10.

Confessions (2010) – Hits you like a juggernaut to the gut on several occasions, this revenge filled tale of a teacher, her class, and her murdered daughter is equal parts harrowing, equal parts disparately beautiful. My best ‘blind viewing’ of the year thus far.

The Long Goodbye (1973) – Superb (if at times comfortably bizarre) neo-noir. Elliott Gould is fantastic in this.

Bunny Lake is Missing (1965) – Mysterious and warped psycho-thriller which hit all the right buttons for me. Carol Lynley and Keir Dullea’s on screen chemistry along with Laurence Olivier’s turn as the superintendent really helps to boost the overall experience too.

The House of Fear (1945) – Another Rathbone Holmes film, and whilst this wasn’t quite as good as ‘Claw’, there was a lot of enjoyment to be had here.

The Unholy (1988) – Dem survives a potential pitchforking thanks to another enjoyable recommendation. Whilst the film takes a bit of time to get into the right gear and threatens to stall a few times, the ending more than makes up for it with it barmy effects and awesome creature design.

Bedlam (1946) – A really enjoyable Val Lewton production starring Boris Karloff, which up until now I had unfortunately never seen. Again thanks to Dem, I have plugged another hole in my cinematic jigsaw, and have all but put the pitchfork away.

Here Comes the Devil (2012) – A tour de force of unease and weirdness, Here Comes the Devil is the satanic take on Picnic at Hanging Rock. Mixed reviews seem to abound for this but I loved it and can’t wait to watch it again.

Graduation Day (1981) – Mid-tier slasher that would make a great double feature with Fatal Games. Whilst it wouldn’t win any prizes for originality, I enjoyed revisiting this entertaining ‘80s slasher and the Blu from 88 Films looked great.
Old 27th October 2014, 02:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[QUOTE=nosferatu42;423149]I dont think it is Nos, unless i 'm mistaken 'One on top of another' is another title for 'Perversion story', a Giallo.
Beatrice cenzi is a historical torture job i think. Never seen it though.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

Frankenstein's Castle Of Freaks (Dick Randall, 1974). Something Weird dvd.

This has it all. A necro dwarf, much boobage and a "plot" designed by Escher fans (imo!) and SAL BORIS.
Neeed I say more..?
Would make a lurid double bill with that other euro Schlocker Flesh For...... This is partnered on the dvd set with Meat is Meat[/B], another Randall romp better known as The Mad Butcher. Should be fun!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th October 2014, 04:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
You need to check out Zombie Flesh Eaters then.

And yeah, The House By the Cemetery is great in Italian, it's the English dub that's annoying.
Might check Zombie Flesh Eaters out this week. Like Dem I just can't stand the kid in Cemetery. As for dubbed films I always go for the original language track if it's optional
Old 27th October 2014, 05:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

MASSACRE AT CENTRAL HIGH - The blueprint for most of the violent teen flicks of the eighties ('Class Of 1984' et al) and obviously a big influence on 'Heathers', 'Massacre At Central High' is still less well known than many of its successors . That's a shame, because it's an excellent film which deserves wider exposure. It centres on David, a new starter at a school controlled by violent upper class bullies who drive around in a sinister van. The other kids are terrified of the dominant clique, but David, who resembles a young Boon / Michael Elphik, has an 'avenger' type mentality and, after the thugs cripple him, he offs them one by one. The nerds formerly living in fear then join forces to form a new ruling elite, and, shaking his head sadly as the old patterns reassert themselves, messianic David continues his revenge spree... 'Massacre At Central High' is an odd film in many ways. Its world is almost entirely self contained, made up of teenagers and their cliques - it's set in a high school, but we never see any teachers or parents (or a police investigation, for that matter). This, coupled with the increasingly unlikely nature of its escalating violence, gives the film a slightly surreal air and a feeling that it was almost certainly intended as an allegory (of the social indoctrination into violence). On the other hand, it plays like a lean exploitation flick, complete with cars rolling down hills and exploding to seventies TV-type music. It feels slicker and more dynamic than many similarly budgeted films made in 1976 - the performances are better, the cinematography more fluid, and it rolls along without any pacing issues and never bores. Whether the interest lies in its subtext, its oddness or its entertainment value, this is really good stuff and the film is arguably seminal in terms of pop cinema. 'Massacre At Central High' deserves far better than the full frame cheapo versions which are currently the only way to see it on DVD - there were rumours of a Cult Epics Blu-Ray earlier this year, so maybe there's still hope.
Old 27th October 2014, 05:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Breaking of Bumbo. (1970)

Whimsical social satire about a newly commissioned young officer in the Household brigade who discovers life outside the army when he meets Joanna Lumley - a ravishing snakeskin delight. Between them they rebel against society in the only way they know how - anarchy and protest marches.

The Breaking of Bumbo is a difficult film to recommend due to it's eccentricities and it's inability to fit into any real niches of cinema. It's not particularly funny, nor is it exactly revolutionary in it's story telling. More Spice Girls "Girl Power" than Rage Against the Machine "**** you i won't do what you tell me" . However, what it is, is a typically British film with boredom as it's subject matter at the arse end of swinging sixties London. Denied a theatrical release by EMI on the grounds of uncommerciality, The breaking of Bumbo is a bit of a lost gem which has now resurfaced on dvd.

Fans of unconventional British cinema will love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bumbopos.jpg (39.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 27th October 2014, 06:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yesterday I watched Criterion's Spoorloos/The Vanishing.

As always,they've did a great job.
It's easy to forget how mesmerizing this film is.
Especially Donnadieu's mild mannered,wimpish sociopath,the most unlikely killer ever to appear on screen.
As I said on another thread,hadn't seen it since VHS days!
Excellent and highly recommended.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th October 2014, 06:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Yesterday I watched Criterion's Spoorloos/The Vanishing.

As always,they've did a great job.
It's easy to forget how mesmerizing this film is.
Especially Donnadieu's mild mannered,wimpish sociopath,the most unlikely killer ever to appear on screen.
As I said on another thread,hadn't seen it since VHS days!
Excellent and highly recommended.

It's one of my all time favourite films. I'll be picking it up from blowitoutahere once they have it listed for a customs friendly price.

Like this? Share it using the links below!