Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2014, 07:01 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) Following my admission of not really liking the Lucio Fulci movies that I've seen a number of you recommended a few other movies by him and I took the opportunity to watch sjconstable's recommendation of 'Zombie Flesh Eaters'. This was my first viewing of this, it wasn't one one of those that I would have watched when I was younger, I was more a Sci-Fi fan in the early 80's rather than a Horror one although I loved the Universal Monster series, (and still do). The film wasn't as bad as Manhattan Baby which sent me to sleep, (The Black Cat was another that did this.....twice!). The Gates of Hell Trilogy were three films that also failed to impress me as much as I wanted to like The Beyond. Zombie Flesh Eaters seems a little more polished than the other Fulci movies that I've seen, whether this is down to Arrows presentation or not I don't know but I did quite enjoy this one. I can't say it bored me, nor did I find my self falling asleep nor doing anything else. The underwater zombie attacking the shark was a new angle for me and the eyeball piercing did make me grimace. But having said all this I still don't feel the love that a lot of you have for this movie or the director.
I'm quite partial to a bit of Fulci, although ironically ZFE isn't one of my favourites from him. I adore the 'Gates of Hell' trilogy, but it is his gialli where I feel Fulci really shone as a director; Don't Torture a Duckling, A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, and Seven Notes in Black (The Psychic) are all fantastic and well worth your time.
Old 29th October 2014, 07:57 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I'm quite partial to a bit of Fulci, although ironically ZFE isn't one of my favourites from him. I adore the 'Gates of Hell' trilogy, but it is his gialli where I feel Fulci really shone as a director; Don't Torture a Duckling, A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, and Seven Notes in Black (The Psychic) are all fantastic and well worth your time.
I second those recommendations, adding the other gialli Perversion Story/One on Top of the Other (Una sull'altra) to your list of Fulci films to watch.
Old 29th October 2014, 12:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

'Gator Bait (1974)

'Gator Bait is prime hicksploitation crammed full of gun-toting, dumb-talking rednecks, swamp water and 'gators. Oh, and Playboy Playmate Claudia Jennings as the self-sufficient and savvy swamp dwelling 'gator poaching Desiree Thibodeau.

What starts of as a simple, shady stalking quickly blows up out of all proportion as the local sheriff's son, deputy Billy Boy and his cohort Ben Bracken are shadowing Desiree through the swamp with the notion of some quick and easy sexual satisfaction on their minds. However, when the two parties confront each other all hell breaks loose leading to Billy accidentally sinking his pa's boat and shooting Ben dead in the process.

Distraught Billy Boy blunders back to town and blames Desiree for the murder leading to the sheriff to round up a posse consisting of himself, Billy Boy and the Bracken men. They then all set off for the swamps with the intention of catching Desiree and bringing her to justice.

They instead stumble across Desiree's residence, where she lives and looks after her younger siblings and the out of control hicks exact revenge on her family. Desiree then proceeds to take it upon herself to ensure that the men won't leave her swamp alive...

Whilst decidedly tongue in cheek throughout, 'Gator Bait exhibits a cold, nasty streak below its murky surface, which gradually rises up like a 'gator from the depths of a swamp as the bodies start to pile up, and acts to balance out the often screwball redneck capering somewhat. Certainly worth a look for exploitation fans.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 03:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

ASYLUM (1972)

Dr Robert Powell arrives at an asylum in the hopes of securing a post there. In order to see that he is qualified for the post, he is giving the task of identifiying Dr Starr, the head of the intitution from the patients upstairs. Dr Starr is now one of these patients and has taken on a new personality......

Excellent compendium horror from Amicus Studios. Four stories.THE FROZEN FEAR, THE WEIRD TAILOR, LUCY COMES TO STAY and MANNEQUINS OF HORROR. My favorite story being 'The Frozen Fear'. That dismembered head in the brown paper at the top of the stairs breathing is a real creepy scene. Robert Powell ascends the stairs of the asylum to classical music as he looks a various pictures of mental patients is very well done and a good start to the horrors to come.
Old 29th October 2014, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Halloween 2 (rob zombie)

Didn't enjoy this as much as the first as I found it all a bit weird with the unicorn and the dead mother. 7/10

The blob (remake)

Forgotten how much I enjoyed this movie. A favourite rental when I was a kid which used to have me and my friends in stitches with its over the top gore. The picture quality is good but like all twilight time I'm disappointed at the lack of extras for something of its price. Still a great movie that I will revist often. 8.5/10

Now watching tremors followed by deliver us from evil or don't be afraid of the dark( both not seen)
keirarts and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 29th October 2014, 09:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Freaks (1932) A real exploitationer, Tod Browning's tale of circus folk is a little uncomfortable to watch. The characters aren't the product of make up artists such as Jack Pierce these are actually handicapped people, (for lack of a better word). For the most part its little more than an excuse to showcase these people and in some cases see how they cope with every day tasks. The revenge and chase through the storm is quite effective however even today, playing on our primal fears of being chased by something not too human.
Old 29th October 2014, 09:35 PM
Cult Addict

I don't know wether i'd call freaks an exploitation pic myself. Apparently todd browning grew up with this stuff so he's trying to make us sympathetic to the 'freaks' in my mind. The real bad guys are the norms.
I really don't think he was trying to exploit, in my mind the title is sarcastic.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 29th October 2014, 10:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I don't know wether i'd call freaks an exploitation pic myself. Apparently todd browning grew up with this stuff so he's trying to make us sympathetic to the 'freaks' in my mind. The real bad guys are the norms.
I really don't think he was trying to exploit, in my mind the title is sarcastic.
I don't know! With the success he had with Dracula his next film Iron Man wasn't as successful. I wonder if he tried to repeat his earlier success by using what audiences of that time might have considered to be real horrors! With the country wracked by the Great Depression audiences may have paid simply to see these people and perhaps Browning knew this, and that I think is exploitation.
Old 29th October 2014, 10:28 PM
Cult Addict

Fair point, maybe your right, but i still think Browning is on the 'Freaks' side in the film, so maybe he was being ironic.

Old 29th October 2014, 11:01 PM
Cult Addict

I hold my head in shame and say i've seen no films recently, or bought anything for that matter, been watching American Horror story on netflix.
Still as close to a horror film as Tv comes i suspect. Just basically takes everything from the films we love, throws it at the wall and see's what sticks.
Particularly liked the boy/ghost/psycho kinda reminded me of a young Malcolm Mcdowell,Clockwork orange n' all that.
Started the seconds season now, it's got a possessed nun,so everythings good with me.
I know this should go on the TV thread but nobody looks at that and it's got the production values surpassing many actual films,so what the hell.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!