Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2014, 09:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Halloween

A nearly pefect movie, script, direction,acting and music are all top notch. A true classic of the genre. Love the ending with the shots of familiar safe places that aren't safe anymore . 10/10

Amityville 2

For me superior to the original. Very creepy and atmospheric. Thanks to the great script, acting and of course Diana Franklin 9/10

Now watching nightbreed and a fantastic job has been done with the resoration and with the cuts/ changes it feels like a differnt move.
Old 1st November 2014, 10:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I can't wait to get hold of Nightbreed and see those extra scenes
Old 1st November 2014, 10:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Went to the cinema last night and watched Fury. It was superb! A rare film that has heart, humour and hell portrayed with such realism. Acting was brilliant by all and no one got out shone by another, top stuff. The use of surround sound was superb too and I can't wait to watch it again at home in 7.1, gonna be brilliant. Highly recommended

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 1st November 2014, 10:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well just finished nightbreed all I can say it's ****ing fantastic a vast improvement on the old version. The story flows better, the major changes are at the beginning and end with extra scenes at the beginning involving boons treatment and his relationship with lorie. But the major changes are near the end with big changes for a few characters who I Will not name as it will spoil the surprise. If anyone has not already ordered this, DO IT NOW! 9/10

Well all I want know is a sequel or even better a tv series, or you listening HBO? Oh and someone to do the same for the keep
Old 1st November 2014, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Is this region locked? If so does anyone know when a UK version is coming out? Desperate to see this. I Saw the original upon release in the Cinema and it blew me away at first, then later, after multiple viewings at home once rented/purchased, after the Clive Barker fan goggles had come off, you start to realise how many holes there are in it.

I leave a puddle of pee behind me everytime I read about it, and it has to stop!
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 1st November 2014, 11:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Is this region locked? If so does anyone know when a UK version is coming out? Desperate to see this. I Saw the original upon release in the Cinema and it blew me away at first, then later, after multiple viewings at home once rented/purchased, after the Clive Barker fan goggles had come off, you start to realise how many holes there are in it.

I leave a puddle of pee behind me everytime I read about it, and it has to stop!
Sadly like all scream factory stuff it's region locked. Not heard of anyone in the UK who's bringing out, if anyone doses I think it will be arrow and who ever does I will buy it again
profondo rosso likes this.
Old 1st November 2014, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Thanks, I guess it is just a waiting game then and more puddles.
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:07 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
Thanks, I guess it is just a waiting game then and more puddles.
Or buy a region A (or free but that is more expensive) bd player. I bought a cheap second hand bd player (25 Euro) and downloaded free region A firmware. Sounds complicated maybe but it was very easy to do. Worth considering.
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:27 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Thanks, its something I have been mulling over for a while and need pick out an xmas present off the missus so might plump for one. Ironically a new thread has just been started regards setting up a cinema system and including a region free BD player, so paying close attention to peoples knowledge/wisdom who already have one and who can recommend a good buy. I could then get Nightbreed.
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:40 AM
Cult Addict

I have the Toshiba BDX 1200 for multi region discs. Also have a media player on my PC called Aurora that plays region A with little difficulty.

Last night I watched...

WRONG.

Second viewing. The film was itching in my brain so I needed to watch it again. Still non the wiser, an aburdist vision of modern suburban life and misplaced affection. Frankly its hilarious but odd in an unfathomable way that may irritate some. The fact that its pretty tough to get now, (I had to trawl marketplace on amazon.com to get it at a decent price) is an obvious drawback but a film worth watching.

NOTHING BAD CAN HAPPEN.

Apparently based on a real case, and made in a horribly matter-of-fact way that makes that claim sadly believable. This is a film about a naive young outcast who is a member of a group called the Jesus freaks. Young outcasts living in squats who have appropriated punk and anarchist iconography and used it in conjunction with an American brand of evangelical Christianity.
For many of its members it seems to be a passing phase, but for the main character its a very real belief that is put to test when he finds himself living with a family out in the suburbs. Things seem off at first and gradually get darker as the protagonist finds himself living as a slave in the family's garden. As the film progresses the situation gets even darker and the film goes into some pretty nasty territory as things escalate. Not the happiest viewing experience, (tonally think snowtown) but a rewarding and well crafted film nonetheless.

JENNIFER.

Looking for something a little lighter in tone I stuck the kino lorber/scorpion blu-ray of Aip's Carrie knock off.
Switching a deranged religious matriarch for a patriarch and swapping the suburban high school setting to an exclusive boarding school, Jennifer also swaps out the Telekinetic mayhem for snakes as Jennifer is tormented by high school bullies of an even nastier and more sadistic nature than in the DePalma film.
While not as well crafted as Depalma's horror, Jennifer is still an entertaining slice of horror from AIP. Perhaps Jennifer s switch from victim to revenger is not as convincing, and the end scenes with the snakes run dangerously close to silly. The film is still an entertaining slice of schlock that looks marvellous on blu-ray.

Like this? Share it using the links below!