Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

horror art 16th February 2012 11:45 AM

Recently i watched 555 after getting the limited dvd release and Video from
Massacre Video ...

Craptastic stuff !! if you like your horror 80's, straight to video, casio key boardesc sound track , Blood and breasts bad acting with lashings of gore all rapped up on a wonderful release of love for the film..
! yes its brilliant Cult fun !

Crimson Blade 16th February 2012 03:12 PM

watched the classic Spanish vampire film The Blood Spattered Bride last night, starring the gorgeous Maribel Martin. Absolutely superb!
Great European style, and highly atmospheric.
Wish they still made vampire films like this.

Gojirosan 16th February 2012 03:39 PM

Beneath Still Waters - I can imagine the artificial appearance of this film and its dream-like atmosphere alienating some viewers and making them dislike this Brian Yuzna film, but it was exactly those things that made it for me. It has a similar Lovecraftian sense of apocalyptic insanity to Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness, though is less polished, presumably for budgetary reasons.

It's not a superb film, but I did like it and I can see myself getting the Blu-ray of it and watching it again in HD. It also feels oddly like a companion piece to the Fantastic Factory's other water horror Dagon.

I would recommend it if you have a taste for such illogical, oneiric horror.

Handyman Joe 16th February 2012 03:40 PM

Had a BU Blu ray double bill last night of Torso and Night Train Murders. My first viewing of both these movies and, given their respective reputations, I was surprised by my reactions. First Torso - I thought this was a poor effort. I found the directing style really strained - every other shot was the camera peeping behind something - a statue, a chair, a bed knob - this got old real quick. The gore was unexpectedly brief but maybe that's a good thing because what there was was laughable. Everytime the pace lagged (often) the director threw more and more breasts at the problem - OK for a leer but not my idea of a classic horror movie. I kept waiting for the 20 minutes of 'pure cinema' Eli Roth promised in his introduction but it never arrived. Maybe the fact that this movie was the inspiration for his career speaks for itself. Now, the positive, Night Train Murders - what a brilliantly directed and gripping movie! I expected this to be a down at heel affair with a fair load of the red stuff but it turned out to be a highly impressive piece of work and barely explicit at all. Great lighting, memorable villainess (that psychic out of Inferno) and first rate use of sound/location. Only downer was some sledgehammer 'social comment' scenes but apart from that a highly recommended from me - didn't see that coming!

mercury 16th February 2012 07:59 PM

Blade Runner:cool:

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th February 2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 217349)

Ah, but which version?

sawyer6 16th February 2012 09:02 PM

Watched Francesco,a realistic view of the life of St-Francis of Assisi starring Mickey Rourke(when he had a face)and Helena Bonham Carter(when she didn't have Burton!)and While The City Sleeps,good film noir by Fritz Lang with an impressive cast:Dana Andrews,George Sanders,Thomas Mitchell,Vincent Price,John Barrymore jr and Ida Lupino wow! Also rewatched Munich and the fantastic The Lives Of Others which I enjoyed Even more the second time, starring the exceptional and sadly gone too soon Ulrich Mühe

Frankie Teardrop 16th February 2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 217280)
Beneath Still Waters - I can imagine the artificial appearance of this film and its dream-like atmosphere alienating some viewers and making them dislike this Brian Yuzna film, but it was exactly those things that made it for me. It has a similar Lovecraftian sense of apocalyptic insanity to Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness, though is less polished, presumably for budgetary reasons.

It's not a superb film, but I did like it and I can see myself getting the Blu-ray of it and watching it again in HD. It also feels oddly like a companion piece to the Fantastic Factory's other water horror Dagon.

I'm not familiar with this one, nor do I rate Brian Yuzna all that highly, but on the basis of your description I'm thinking of giving it a go as it seems to tick a lot of my favourite boxes, particularly if it stands up well beside Dagon.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th February 2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 217388)
I'm not familiar with this one, nor do I rate Brian Yuzna all that highly, but on the basis of your description I'm thinking of giving it a go as it seems to tick a lot of my favourite boxes, particularly if it stands up well beside Dagon.

It really doesn't stand up alongside Dagon. The greatest Lovecraft film ever.

It is enjoyable enough though and a fun watch, it just doesn't compare to Dagon.

Frankie Teardrop 16th February 2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 217390)

It is enjoyable enough though and a fun watch, it just doesn't compare to Dagon.

I'll keep an eye out for it, but now I've got Dagon in my head I might just rewatch that instead!

Make Them Die Slowly 16th February 2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 217390)

"Dagon" is shite and has as much to do with Lovecraft as my arse.:tongue1:
"The Call of Cthulhlu" is the Lovecraft film to watch.

James Morton 16th February 2012 10:59 PM

[QUOTE=Make Them Die Slowly;217396]"Dagon" is shite and has as much to do with Lovecraft as my arse.:tongue1:
"
DAGON is one of Stuart Gordon's best fims, underrated
and I know its based on Lovecraft's novella SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH
very good adaptation

Nordicdusk 16th February 2012 11:09 PM

Just watch Hostel 2 for the first time i enjoyed it up until the penis part no sleep again tonight so.:)

Make Them Die Slowly 17th February 2012 06:01 AM

[QUOTE=James Morton;217398]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 217396)
"
DAGON is one of Stuart Gordon's best fims, underrated
and I know its based on Lovecraft's novella SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH
very good adaptation

Other than having Deep Ones in it "Dagon" is nothing like "Shadow" or Lovecraft's "Dagon". What Gordon misses out on is the sense of dread and cosmic horror instead filling his films with sex and gore which would have Lovecraft spinning in his grave.

Gojirosan 17th February 2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 217414)
Other than having Deep Ones in it "Dagon" is nothing like "Shadow" or Lovecraft's "Dagon". What Gordon misses out on is the sense of dread and cosmic horror instead filling his films with sex and gore which would have Lovecraft spinning in his grave.

I kind of see where you coming from, but to me there is some level of cosmic horror, but it is implied rather than spelled out. There is the feeling that this is Ground Zero for Dagon's assault on the world, a brooding tension, a dark cloud ready to spread.

Lovecraft would certainly have disliked the nudity and gore, but then I see no reason for any any film adaptation to remain absolutely true to its source. The best versions of Dracula are sod all like the book!

My one caveat to this is the dreadful film version of Constantine - they can sod off casting Keanu Reeves as a character meant to be a blond Scouser! :lol: However, had Constantine itself been any good, I might have been perfectly willing to overlook the changes to the caharacter!

I like Dagon a lot, as a film and as a Lovecraft film. I also like The Call Of Cthulhu a lot, but mostly as a Lovecraft film. Its attention to detail and respect for the source sometimes seems a little too academic, but, I don't mind that so much.

Susan Foreman 17th February 2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 217349)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 217351)
Ah, but which version?

'Blade Runner' is one of those films that I have tried to like, but failed

I saw the 'original' version the first time it was on television, and it bored me senseless. It seems that everyone I knew was telling me that it was a good film, so when the 'directors cut' was released, I decided to give it another go, but this time on the big screen at the cinema. Again, I was bored to tears, but people still told me it was the greatest film ever made, so I put my reaction down to "not being in the proper mood"

When the DVD box set was released, I got a copy of it, and watched all five versions of the film, but nothing happened to change my opinion of the movie

Visually, it is incredibly impressive, but the story and execution leave me cold

Oh - I know that I am alone in my thoughts about this film, because enough people have said it is a masterpiece, and the greatest movie ever made!

Gojirosan 17th February 2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 217417)
Oh - I know that I am alone in my thoughts about this film, because enough people have said it is a masterpiece, and the greatest movie ever made!

Nope, I'm with you. I admire the film greatly, but find it a chore to get through. I wouldn't say I disliked it, but I have never enjoyed it - in any version. Harrison Ford doesn't help, as I can't stand him or his limited acting skills and lacking charisma. Rutger Hauer is so good in it that the scenes they share seem unbalanced to me.

Whilst I can "see" it's a good film, I can't get excited about it. I find this a lot with Ridley Scott, to be honest. Only Alien and Thelma And Louise have ever grabbed me totally.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th February 2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 217280)

As I do have a taste for illogical, oneiric horror films, Beneath Still Waters sounds really interesting and something I should definitely check out.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th February 2012 10:52 AM

A few pics for it here Nos.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/170408-post1464.html

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th February 2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 217396)
"The Call of Cthulhlu" is the Lovecraft film to watch.

So your arse is a load of cosmic bollocks and too terrible to be described is it?;)

gag 17th February 2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 217417)
'Blade Runner' is one of those films that I have tried to like, but failed

I saw the 'original' version the first time it was on television, and it bored me senseless. It seems that everyone I knew was telling me that it was a good film, so when the 'directors cut' was released, I decided to give it another go, but this time on the big screen at the cinema. Again, I was bored to tears, but people still told me it was the greatest film ever made, so I put my reaction down to "not being in the proper mood"

When the DVD box set was released, I got a copy of it, and watched all five versions of the film, but nothing happened to change my opinion of the movie

Visually, it is incredibly impressive, but the story and execution leave me cold

Im slightly with you on this i tried 2 3 times to watch this and could not anyway shape form get into it but saying that .that was years ago i suppose i could try again ..

VicDakin 17th February 2012 08:16 PM

Cornish rednecks and Cockney psycho's

6 Attachment(s)
Cornish rednecks and Cockney psycho's.
No not a night out in Bristol,but my viewing double bill for tonight

Handyman Joe 17th February 2012 08:28 PM

I've seen over 50 movies so far in 2012 and I've just seen the best - Fish Story. Words fail me, but if you take my advice on one thing, make it this - see Fish Story, as original and intricate a story as you'll ever see with added comedy, horror pastiche, kung fu, killer music, pathos, satire and end of the world tension. Genius plain and simple, thank God for Third Window Films.

Make Them Die Slowly 17th February 2012 09:49 PM

"Romance and Cigarettes" a musical comedy about infidelity and lung cancer! Fantastic cast: James Gandfolfini, Christopher Walken, Susan Saradon and Kate Winslet all acting and singing their socks off. Perhaps too quirky for it's own good at times and fairly disjointed at others, but over all worth a look if you see it dirt cheap or on the telly.

wongfeihung62 17th February 2012 10:39 PM

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/taj-hob/g1-1.jpg http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/taj-hob/g2-2.jpg

Rik 17th February 2012 10:52 PM

Finally got around to watching the Shameless disc of HOTEOTP last night, I must say they've done a fine job, the cuts are hardly noticeable.
Seeing as my gig tonight got cancelled I decided to give my Day of the dead BD a spin, I don't think the film could look any better, especially the gore scenes and Bub's make up

Demoncrat 18th February 2012 10:47 AM

Watched 2entertain's Horror Express....lawdy this Severin one cant hurry up enough, still a great wee chiller though.

Mega Monster Ultra Battle Galaxy (?) excuse if title slightly wrong, as im in a bit of a hurry today, if you like blokes in rubber suits kicking the crap outa each other, this is recommended.
if on the other hand you prefer measured plot, symbolistic dialogue, unusual camera angles etc....what are you doing on this site??:lol: seriously though, a HOOT, even if younger mate seemed "bored"...but then Drive "bored" him, you cant help some people it seems.....

James Morton 18th February 2012 12:04 PM

THE BANK JOB, a very entertaining Brit heist thriller
saw GHOST RIDER on tv last night, corny fun

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th February 2012 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 217739)
"Romance and Cigarettes" a musical comedy about infidelity and lung cancer! Fantastic cast: James Gandfolfini, Christopher Walken, Susan Saradon and Kate Winslet all acting and singing their socks off. Perhaps too quirky for it's own good at times and fairly disjointed at others, but over all worth a look if you see it dirt cheap or on the telly.

I picked up an original one sheet for this when it was first released, then saw the film on dvd and loved it.

mercury 18th February 2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 217351)
Ah, but which version?

The Final cut Stephen. I really liked it, although if there is a better version to watch I'm all ears:)

Watched Mr Majestyk.... I am usually a fan of most things Bronson; but I found this a tad boring:(

James Morton 18th February 2012 03:49 PM

Watched Mr Majestyk.... I am usually a fan of most things Bronson; but I found this a tad boring:([/QUOTE]

boring??????????
MM is a brilliant Bronson film

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th February 2012 03:59 PM

Gotta agree there, Mr Majestyk is a fine Bronson film, i didn't find it a bit boring.

wongfeihung62 18th February 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 217823)
Watched 2entertain's Horror Express....lawdy this Severin one cant hurry up enough, still a great wee chiller though.

Mega Monster Ultra Battle Galaxy (?) excuse if title slightly wrong, as im in a bit of a hurry today, if you like blokes in rubber suits kicking the crap outa each other, this is recommended.
if on the other hand you prefer measured plot, symbolistic dialogue, unusual camera angles etc....what are you doing on this site??:lol: seriously though, a HOOT, even if younger mate seemed "bored"...but then Drive "bored" him, you cant help some people it seems.....

Youngster's these days have no appreciation for Ultraman.

Rik 18th February 2012 05:34 PM

Just got home from taking my 8 year old son to watch Star Wars Episode 1:The Phantom Menace in 3D. I know these films cause masses of online debates but I thought it was amazing in 3D, especially the Pod Race. Definitely worth going to see IMO and I might be tempted to fork out for the BD boxset in the near future :)

keirarts 18th February 2012 05:39 PM

about to sit down and watch paranormal activity 3. Not holding out much hope of it being good buts its cost me nowt to rent it from work!

DaveJ.W 19th February 2012 04:03 PM

The Mechanic (2011)

*** out of ****

Susan Foreman 19th February 2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 217915)
Originally posted Yesterday (Saturday, 18th March 2012), 06:39 PM - about to sit down and watch paranormal activity 3. Not holding out much hope of it being good buts its cost me nowt to rent it from work!

Reply today (Sunday, 19th March 2012) 05:15pm

Hmmm

You haven't been back online to say what you thought of it, so presumably you have now been possessed by 'something', and are unable to give any feedback!

*Damn - double post, and I can't see any way of removing the original. Damn you, Sunday afternoon Vodka!

Nordicdusk 19th February 2012 04:21 PM

Death Wish 2 and now right into Death Wish 3 dont you just love Sundays nothing to do just watch films.

keirarts 19th February 2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 218143)
Reply today (Sunday, 19th March 2012) 05:15pm

Hmmm

You haven't been back online to say what you thought of it, so presumably you have now been possessed by 'something', and are unable to give any feedback!

*Damn - double post, and I can't see any way of removing the original. Damn you, Sunday afternoon Vodka!

trying to sum my thoughts up about the film, well here goes.....

Ok, from a plot point paranormal activity 3 is pretty stupid. For those unfamiliar with the movies the series is going back in time, revealing more and more background to the events in the first film. So we are basically supposed to believe that all these events (which I wont go into detail with to avoid major spoilers) were somehow forgotten or at least dismissed by the central character of the first movie, and worse yet theres a wealth of vhs and digital evidence clearly supporting the characters claims of being 'haunted' and more yet none of it is referred to at all. In terms of plot and continuity and logic I suspect the filmmakers are making this s**t up as they go along!

If you set that to one side, paranormal activity 3 is actually pretty decently executed as a scare-fest, and actually has some genuinelly disturbing moments. (wait for the stuff with the babysitter) the ending is perhaps a step too far but taken on its own Paranormal activity 3 is certainly worth a look. Again, anyone whose been following these movies from the first will wonder why noone broke out the family tapes for answers right at the beginning. (or simply sold them for a ton of cash.) But an ability to SERIOUSLY suspend disbelief will be a plus for an otherwise decent entry into the found footage sub-genre.

At any rate its way better than the dreadful apollo 18.

VicDakin 19th February 2012 08:06 PM

tonights viewing pleasures have been

4 Attachment(s)
Irish gangsters and a drunken copper