Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2014, 04:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched WHTDTYD. Seeeeedy film. Looks nice sitting next to the rest of them.

Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984, Charles E Sellier)
To put it mildly, this has to be the pinnacle of the "traumatised kid grows up baaaaaaaaad" genre imho. As a youngster Billy is, shall we say, somewhat put off of Xmas by a madman. Growing up, he has to face this nightmare by................becoming the Store Santa. Go figure. Truly a hoot from beginning to end, mainly due to the cast, who aren't all cardboard cutouts.

Still sticking with Christmas Evil and Sint for boxing day methinks.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th November 2014, 10:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Hugo (2011)

Martin Scorsese's glorious love letter to the birth of cinema. Uplifting, touching and joyous, this is a near perfect family film. Beginning as a mystery / fantasy film due as much to it's lush visuals as the story, the film slowly but surely transforms itself into a classy take on the history of the earliest days of silent cinema and one film maker - Georges Méliès, wonderfully portrayed by Ben Kingsley - in particular.

Finally the greatest director of our generation got to work with his great friend Christopher Lee and a fine array of British acting talent, from Jude Law and Helen McCrory to Frances De La Tour and Richard Griffiths, as well as outstanding child stars Asa Butterfield as Hugo and Chloë Grace Moretz who fit in seemlessly among them. Most surprisingly Scorsese gets a stand out turn from Sacha Baron Cohen, at first seemingly doing an impersonation of 'Allo 'Allo's Officer Crabtree but evolving it into a witty and charming portrayal of romance with the lovely Emily Mortimer.

Hugo isn't a film to simply watch. It's a film to immerse yourself in, to allow yourself to be swept away by a piece of cinema unlike anything that's been on our screens for more than half a century. As Hugo says at one point "Movies are our special place." and Hugo the film, celebrates this.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugo-poster.jpg (98.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 26th November 2014, 10:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hugo (2011)

Martin Scorsese's glorious love letter to the birth of cinema. Uplifting, touching and joyous, this is a near perfect family film. Beginning as a mystery / fantasy film due as much to it's lush visuals as the story, the film slowly but surely transforms itself into a classy take on the history of the earliest days of silent cinema and one film maker - Georges Méliès, wonderfully portrayed by Ben Kingsley - in particular.

Finally the greatest director of our generation got to work with his great friend Christopher Lee and a fine array of British acting talent, from Jude Law and Helen McCrory to Frances De La Tour and Richard Griffiths, as well as outstanding child stars Asa Butterfield as Hugo and Chloë Grace Moretz who fit in seemlessly among them. Most surprisingly Scorsese gets a stand out turn from Sacha Baron Cohen, at first seemingly doing an impersonation of 'Allo 'Allo's Officer Crabtree but evolving it into a witty and charming portrayal of romance with the lovely Emily Mortimer.

Hugo isn't a film to simply watch. It's a film to immerse yourself in, to allow yourself to be swept away by a piece of cinema unlike anything that's been on our screens for more than half a century. As Hugo says at one point "Movies are our special place." and Hugo the film, celebrates this.

Highly recommended.
Great movie, I saw this when I was also seeing some of Méliès early stuff, it gave the experience of seeing both that extra bit of special!
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 26th November 2014, 04:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hugo (2011)

Highly recommended.

Will have to watch this then. Just didn't appeal to me thought it was just some godawful kids film!
troggi likes this.
Old 26th November 2014, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Batman under the red hood.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031211.394396.jpg

5 years after the brutal killing of the second Robin by the joker batmans greatest failure comes back to haunt him.

when a new figure calling himself the red hood appears and starts taking over the underworld of Gotham with brutal efficiency. You don't need to be Albert Einstein to figure out who the red hood is, but is a none stop ride which is very bloody and brutal leading up to a showdown between batman, red hood and the joker. Another good animated movie from DC shame there live action films can't be as good. 8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031735.802466.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031744.609665.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031754.326145.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031774.138252.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031789.402341.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031797.885640.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031807.302384.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031817.846351.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031827.518948.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031833.388522.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031844.014205.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031852.693286.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417031864.414462.jpg

Now watching raw force hope it's as good as the artwork makes it look

Last edited by trebor8273; 26th November 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 26th November 2014, 08:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron" 2007
"Ninja Apocalypse" 20-who cares!!!

"Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron" One of the best animated films I have seen for a long time. No, not for the quality of the art or animation but for being true to the "Hellboy" mythos. Great story + great extras = a very nice package! 17/10

"Ninja Apocalypse" I would really like to get that time back, please! I would have been better off cleaning my fishtank with nothing more than a bendy straw and my mouth! This film is almost the exact antithesis and a bit to the previous film, it is so bad that I don't want to give it even one of my ludicrous scores but here goes, -22/10 (obviously this means that others will totally love it and it will become a cult classic)!

Monster Magnet
Old 26th November 2014, 09:30 PM
Cult Addict

Guardians of the Galaxy. May be it was all the hype but I was slightly disappointed with this, sure it was funny and full of action but it lacked something for me that I can't quite put my finger on. Not a patch on any of the recent DC animated films.
Old 26th November 2014, 11:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Incendies (2010)

9/10.
trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 27th November 2014, 03:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
"Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron" 2007
"Ninja Apocalypse" 20-who cares!!!

"Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron" One of the best animated films I have seen for a long time. No, not for the quality of the art or animation but for being true to the "Hellboy" mythos. Great story + great extras = a very nice package! 17/10

"Ninja Apocalypse" I would really like to get that time back, please! I would have been better off cleaning my fishtank with nothing more than a bendy straw and my mouth! This film is almost the exact antithesis and a bit to the previous film, it is so bad that I don't want to give it even one of my ludicrous scores but here goes, -22/10 (obviously this means that others will totally love it and it will become a cult classic)!
Mate was in same frame of mind after he watched this......hug!!
troggi likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th November 2014, 04:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Gonna watch Nightcrawler in an hour.
keirarts, trebor8273 and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!