Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2014, 07:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

It's that time of year that turkeys fear the most, so it also time to watch one of the classic comedy's of the 80s.

planes, trains and automobiles

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116458.728582.jpg

Neal page ( Steve Martin) is trying to get home for thanksgiving when he lumbered with the loud and annoying but lovable Del griffin ( the late great John Candy in perhaps his greatest role). what can go wrong does go wrong, in a genially funny and moving comedy classic. Thanks to the great script and characters brought to life by Candy and Martin. Those aren't pillows!!! 10/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116816.316040.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116825.416489.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116833.774220.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116842.429613.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116850.483037.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116859.197238.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116872.314200.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116894.473092.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116908.658702.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116917.284139.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116926.430670.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417116883.315513.jpg

Now watching dracula untold

Edit

Anyone seen a fim called alien abduction incident in lake county

Last edited by trebor8273; 27th November 2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 27th November 2014, 08:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Now watching dracula untold
There was me thinking you buy your films when you actually download them.
Rik, PaulD, trebor8273 and 1 others like this.
Old 27th November 2014, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'll be honest I have download stuff but that if someone won't go to the pictures with me( or it got slated) or it's something hard to find. Once I'm done it gets deleted and if I like it I will by it when it comes out to buy.
JoshuaKaitlyn and troggi like this.
Old 27th November 2014, 09:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I'll be honest I have download stuff but that if someone won't go to the pictures with me( or it got slated) or it's something hard to find. Once I'm done it gets deleted and if I like it I will by it when it comes out to buy.
Nothing wrong with that, it leads to purchases you otherwise might not have made.
Old 27th November 2014, 10:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

My 220th visit of 2014 to the cinema was tonight and it was a good one. A retro screening of David Cronenberg's Videodrome. Long live the new flesh!
Old 27th November 2014, 11:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
In the case of Dracula untold its like stealing dog leavings.

sonno Proffondo

Almost wordless modern Giallo similar in construction to Amer. Personally I preferred this as in spite of lower production values I felt it managed to capture more of the sleazy charm of the genre. Certainly I felt it was more successful in its purpose than the messy patchwork strange colour of your bodies tears.

Interstellar.

Great popcorn movie that falls somewhere short of classic status. Perhaps my second favourite sci-fi this year behind Guardians of the Galaxy. A controversial opinion perhaps but it lost me the minute it started talking about love as a measurable, quantifiable force that decades of physics were silly to miss because their not spiritual enough... bollocks.
It's got one of the best scores this year, looks phenomenal, is perhaps a little too long winded and up its own rectum to be enjoyable. Certainly not as good as Inception, Memento, Dark knight or the Prestige.
I salute its tribute to the pioneers of space flight and the need for humans to go into space (read Warren Ellis Orbiter which has some themes nicked in this film) I Think I preferred GOG because it made me want to go right out and watch it again, (rare for a popcorn flick to even impress Kermode! ) again not a bad film, just not a classic.

Royal space force.

Set in an alternate universe, this is a classic era anime film from a time when the Japanese did their own stuff in-house with hand drawn animation and beautiful character design and art. This ones a tale of a Pilot who didn't have the grades to get into the airforce so instead joins the space force, a ragged band of drop outs who dream of going into space. As the nation of Honnamise draws itself ever closer to war with it's neighbour and military spending grows for weapons of mass destruction, the space forces rocket offers a symbol to mankind of a better way to use its resources other than killing. Beautifully made and still as poignant as it was when I caught it on VHS many, many years ago the blu-ray is a beautiful restoration of a genuine classic (know also as wings of the honnamise) I watched this one almost straight after a 4k screening of interstellar and personally I still prefer it.
Old 28th November 2014, 12:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

In the mood f' some fine fantasy last night and all I could find in one of my "unwatched" boxes was "Snow White and the Huntsman" (2012). I must say that I was very impressed, an actual effort had been made to give a new spin to an old, old tale without making it into a pantomime. Charlize Theron played a really great "evil stepmom" and avoided being seen as an "evil stepmom." I could almost have empathised with her character and see her side of the story as the "right and proper path!"

Kristen Stewart was almost overlooked as she played Snow White so pathetically and passively. Then she met the White Hart and was transformed into a force of nature, proactive and arousing!

Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman was, as his characterisation of Thor is, strong and wily. He has almost got the "jock" role sewn up for keeps.

Of course, you can't have Snow White without seven persons of restricted growth now can you? The mini documentary in the one of two available extras on the disc went into the creation of the Dwarves, and a very likeable documentary it was! My only gripe about the whole film is that the dwarves were almost used as a gimmick and glossed over when so much attention had been paid to their creation. This is only a minor gripe and was probably the result of post-production cuts.

All in all a fun way to spend a couple of hours that I thought would have been more of a drag! A creditable 16/10 for a novel take of a classic story.

WOW! Where did all that come from?

Monster Magnet
Old 28th November 2014, 09:36 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Interstellar.

Great popcorn movie that falls somewhere short of classic status. Perhaps my second favourite sci-fi this year behind Guardians of the Galaxy. A controversial opinion perhaps but it lost me the minute it started talking about love as a measurable, quantifiable force that decades of physics were silly to miss because their not spiritual enough... bollocks.
It's got one of the best scores this year, looks phenomenal, is perhaps a little too long winded and up its own rectum to be enjoyable. Certainly not as good as Inception, Memento, Dark knight or the Prestige.
I salute its tribute to the pioneers of space flight and the need for humans to go into space (read Warren Ellis Orbiter which has some themes nicked in this film) I Think I preferred GOG because it made me want to go right out and watch it again, (rare for a popcorn flick to even impress Kermode! ) again not a bad film, just not a classic.
I saw Interstellar a couple of weeks ago and was engrossed from first minute to last, with my brain occasionally playing catch up and trying to figure out what was actually taken place. That's not a bad thing because I sometimes like to be challenged by films, made to think, ponder the bigger picture and exercise the grey matter.

I agree about the score and cinematography, which are both brilliant, but I had no problem with the length as it never felt long – always the sign of a good film. Guardians of the Galaxy is certainly a great deal more fun, and I think I'll need to see Interstellar a couple more times to make a proper judgement on where it stands amongst Christopher Nolan's other films but, at the moment, it is one of the best films I've seen at the cinema this year and the only one which has made me cry! (It's the first since WALL-E to have that effect on me as well.)

Both Guardians of the Galaxy and Interstellar will be in my collection at some point, but I've spent so much on Criterion Collection BDs at Barnes and Noble and recently in the Black Friday sales that the former will have to wait, probably until January.
Old 28th November 2014, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Guardians Of The Galaxy. A film that insists upon itself methinks. Interesting to see Dani Filth in a Marvel film

Die Frauenhaus (JF, 1977).
Cthulhu damn that fish tank!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th November 2014, 01:56 PM
Active Cultist

The Wolfman, 1941. 9/10

The Invisible Man, 1933. 10/10

Dracula, 1931. 10/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!