Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 20th February 2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 217915)
about to sit down and watch paranormal activity 3. Not holding out much hope of it being good buts its cost me nowt to rent it from work!

Me and my son watched this other night bored us both sensless dull slow boring and thats at its best so no dont hold out to much hope...done get me wrong it isnt shite just not up to much,

Also watched Final Destination 5 again saw this in 3d at pics higlhy enjoyed think its one of the better ones even tho i enjoyed them apart from 3 wasnt that keen on but still pretty decent ...liked the twist at the end ..

Im working away in Ireland this week and on way over on ferry saw Johny english reborn, so so just sometimes i think the humour etc goes a bit of scale or ott and doesnt become funny ands up being plain stupid but it was ok..

PaulD 20th February 2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 218160)
trying to sum my thoughts up about the film, well here goes.....

Ok, from a plot point paranormal activity 3 is pretty stupid. For those unfamiliar with the movies the series is going back in time, revealing more and more background to the events in the first film. So we are basically supposed to believe that all these events (which I wont go into detail with to avoid major spoilers) were somehow forgotten or at least dismissed by the central character of the first movie, and worse yet theres a wealth of vhs and digital evidence clearly supporting the characters claims of being 'haunted' and more yet none of it is referred to at all. In terms of plot and continuity and logic I suspect the filmmakers are making this s**t up as they go along!

That was my main issue with it, although having watched the first 2 again before seeing the 3rd there were a few references to things picked up on in the3rd film (like the videotapes and stuff). Still, the impression in the first films is that something did happen in their childhood but not on the scale you see in the 3rd film. And the house still didn't burn down! (other than in the trailer)

There's a 4th one on the way so I guess there'll either be more answers or more questions. Rumours that the whole film is another prequel and takes place in the form of found-footage ultrasound scans of the 2 sisters is currently unfounded.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th February 2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 218143)
*Damn - double post, and I can't see any way of removing the original. Damn you, Sunday afternoon Vodka!

I've deleted the first post - it had nothing to do with your Sunday afternoon vodka!

DaveJ.W 20th February 2012 10:46 AM

Machete (2010)

*** out of ****

snipsmovies 20th February 2012 11:09 AM

Woah ... I've not finished watching it yet, but so far ADAM CHAPLIN is just mental ! Its a mix of Japanese splatter-gore and live-action anime... yet its Italian. It came out today via Scanbox, and its on Amazon for just over a fiver. Its not perfect, but man, it woke me up this morning.

darthelvis 20th February 2012 11:13 AM

The Artist 5/5
Loved the movie and very much worth the awards and praise it has been getting, a beautiful piece of work with fantastic performances. Catch it while you still can.

The Woman in Black 3/5
I really wanted to love this but at the end was disappointed. It had it's moments but I think suffered due to the 12A rating and some weak effects. I liked Daniel Radcliffe in it, but I think the rating was lowered so the Potter audience could get in to see it.

Demoncrat 20th February 2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthelvis (Post 218272)
The Artist 5/5
Loved the movie and very much worth the awards and praise it has been getting, a beautiful piece of work with fantastic performances. Catch it while you still can.

The Woman in Black 3/5
I really wanted to love this but at the end was disappointed. It had it's moments but I think suffered due to the 12A rating and some weak effects. I liked Daniel Radcliffe in it, but I think the rating was lowered so the Potter audience could get in to see it.

also admired The Artist greatly, echoes of Hitch, Lynch, Argento even IMO.
Also watched Maximum Overdrive...it hasnt aged well....at all....and was cut as far as i could see...:mmph:

Demoncrat 20th February 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 217396)
"Dagon" is shite and has as much to do with Lovecraft as my arse.:tongue1:
"The Call of Cthulhlu" is the Lovecraft film to watch.

Thank You.
The love for Dagon on this site just befuddles me.:crazy::eek::mmph:
greatest Lovecraft story turned into a comedy maybe......

keirarts 20th February 2012 05:30 PM

went to see chronicle. Actually better than I expected, plenty of cliche as anyone will guess the character arcs in the film but certainly a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be. Wisely never explains the cause of the teens power, its just some glowing thing they find in the ground that gives them telekenetic powers and the final 3rd act telekentic rampage is highly entertaining. Not sure if it needed to be a found footage movie though.

And in defence of dagon, sure lovecraft would have hated it, he would have hated the stuff made by the lovecraft historical society as well. Lovecraft despised the medium of film and in all fairness the style of his storytelling, relying on implication and suggestion are not at all suited to the medium. That said Dagon takes the material and creates a very entertaing slice of horror cinema. Could I have lived without the gore? certainly but then that was always more a commercial consideration. Its also worth noting dennis paoli, stuart gordons long time collaborator on his lovecraft projects did his masters thesis on lovecrafts fiction!

Make Them Die Slowly 20th February 2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 218391)
went to see chronicle. Actually better than I expected, plenty of cliche as anyone will guess the character arcs in the film but certainly a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be. Wisely never explains the cause of the teens power, its just some glowing thing they find in the ground that gives them telekenetic powers and the final 3rd act telekentic rampage is highly entertaining. Not sure if it needed to be a found footage movie though.

And in defence of dagon, sure lovecraft would have hated it, he would have hated the stuff made by the lovecraft historical society as well. Lovecraft despised the medium of film and in all fairness the style of his storytelling, relying on implication and suggestion are not at all suited to the medium. That said Dagon takes the material and creates a very entertaing slice of horror cinema. Could I have lived without the gore? certainly but then that was always more a commercial consideration. Its also worth noting dennis paoli, stuart gordons long time collaborator on his lovecraft projects did his masters thesis on lovecrafts fiction!

That's the thing that really pisses me off about Gordon et al, they have a genuine passion for Lovecraft but due to commercial pressures, budget etc they just mangle the man's work. Yet at the same time I appreciate the blatant exploitation of the Lovecraft name to make a few bucks. In my opinion outside of CoC, the best Lovecraft films are the ones that don't attempt tell his stories but rather take themes and ideas to create something informed of his work yet also outside it.

Nordicdusk 20th February 2012 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 44896

Attachment 44897

Finally getting around to watching all the films in the great Hammer Box Set Quatermass and the Pit will be to nights viewing.

James Morton 20th February 2012 07:26 PM

saw UNDER SIEGE 2 and SOUTHERN COMFORT on tv last night
got the latter on dvd, brilliant film from Walter Hill and his homage to Peckinpah was easily seen
the former was a fun action sequel from Seagal, should be released uncut

keirarts 20th February 2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 218435)
That's the thing that really pisses me off about Gordon et al, they have a genuine passion for Lovecraft but due to commercial pressures, budget etc they just mangle the man's work. Yet at the same time I appreciate the blatant exploitation of the Lovecraft name to make a few bucks. In my opinion outside of CoC, the best Lovecraft films are the ones that don't attempt tell his stories but rather take themes and ideas to create something informed of his work yet also outside it.

I agree... sort of. I think the real danger in adapting lovecraft to the screen is to be far too slavish to the origional text. The best lovecraft adaptations, from beyond, re-animator, and the ressurected (dan o'bannens adaptation of charles dexter ward) take the sort of libertys with the text needed to make the films work as films. Even the recent lovecraft society's whisper in the darkness takes some liberty's with the text.
I find the best way to approach any of these films is not to be to expectant on having the stories told in celluloid exactly the way they are in the written stories.

Baseball Fury 20th February 2012 10:45 PM

Just got back from The Woman In Black. I really liked it! The tension ramping was very well done, there was only one little bit that I thought was shitty. Well worth a watch, 4/5

Frankie Teardrop 20th February 2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 218435)

Lovecraft is hard to nail on film not because of any narrative aspects, but because the elements that mark him out ie his hyperinflated prose style and depressing cosmic nihilism, have no real cinematic equivalent. It's difficult to get the feeling of encountering words like 'squamous' or 'cyclopean' or 'eldritch' in the context of a movie. Half of Lovecraft is his style. As for the other half... it's easier to evoke the ontological unease that runs through most of Lovecraft in prose, a medium which lends itself to abstraction more than film. 'Reanimator' probably worked because the story it was based on wasn't all that 'Lovecraftian' in the scheme of things. So I agree, a literal approach to this stuff probably isn't going anywhere.

Hawkmonger 21st February 2012 07:08 AM

Watched Chronicle last night. I would be lying if I said I wasn't pretty bloody immersed. After the genre killer that was Quarantine, Chronicle breaths new life into the home video genre. But wheres't Cannibal Holocaust used it for shock and gore and The Last Broadcast and Blaire Witch used it for scares, Chronicle gives utilized the home recordins system to convey to us the emotions of three very ordinary school kids who are thrust into a situation where they have little understanding of what they are capable of. Interestingly the movie provides some genuinely funny moments in it's first act, followed my some great character building scenes later on. The movie makes a noticeably darker turn towards the end of the movie as one of the characters slips into evil, brought about not through his own misguided action but through the desire to help his mothet get, of all things, a pot of pills that could save her life. One thing I really loved about the movie was how the built up your hate for some characters. The school bullies, the local low lifes, the abusive father (whom, I think was clearly not alright in the head. Thinking he spends money on his kids education and pills for his wife when he clearly only spends it on Beer and Cable TV) all get the medicine soon enough.
But what I loved most where the three main leads, kudos the the three new found actors for making them not just your usual greedy teenagers but genuinely funny and entertaining guys who clearly cared for each other.
Over all, a great movie only occasionally flawed by a sudden continuity error, but they are few and far between, no movie is perfect, but chronicle is a great example of a movie that could well stand the test of time and become a favorite for fans for years to come. ****

Demoncrat 21st February 2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 218391)

well as i cant speak for Howard, im really just speaking for myself here where i thought Dagon was taking the piss out of HPL.
for a start it isnt Dagon! it's The Shadow Over Innsmouth....:laugh:

Unlike the rather funny The Last Lovecraft: Relic Of Cthulhu (2009 , Henry Saine) which took various HPL themes and grafted a Jay & Silent Bob vibe onto it, NOT for everyone i'd say, but it didnt annoy me as much as the D film.

Baseball Fury 21st February 2012 10:02 AM

My thoughts exactly Hawkmonger, I thought it was incredibly well done. And for fans of The Wire, one of the kids is played by the guy that played Wallace!

VicDakin 21st February 2012 05:23 PM

tonight im looking into my black hole

3 Attachment(s)

sawyer6 21st February 2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 218693)

Be careful :tongue1:

ReturnToZero 21st February 2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 218693)

No, you're looking into a black oval as you stretch all your films ;)

VicDakin 21st February 2012 06:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
just finished probing my black hole,now im off to the Madhouse.

Hawkmonger 21st February 2012 07:06 PM

I feel unclean! :mmph:

keirarts 21st February 2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 218565)
well as i cant speak for Howard, im really just speaking for myself here where i thought Dagon was taking the piss out of HPL.
for a start it isnt Dagon! it's The Shadow Over Innsmouth....:laugh:

Unlike the rather funny The Last Lovecraft: Relic Of Cthulhu (2009 , Henry Saine) which took various HPL themes and grafted a Jay & Silent Bob vibe onto it, NOT for everyone i'd say, but it didnt annoy me as much as the D film.

DAgon the movie is a hybrid of the short story dagon AND shadow over innsmouth!

The opening takes some ideas very loosley from the short story Dagon with the black sticky landmass emerging from the sea and then moves straight into the innsmouth story. It was appropriate to use both stories as they both refer to dagon, the first directly while the events in innsmouth are a result of dagon worship. Theres plenty changed (dagon was set in the first world war, innsmouth some time in the twenties) but the key story about the town reverting to the old gods in hard times, the cult of the esoteric order of dagon and the interbreeding between elder gods and humans are all straight from the stories.

mercury 21st February 2012 08:06 PM

No strings attached
House of the Devil(Ti West)....Saw this on the horror channel and I liked it. It was made to look like it was filmed in the 80's I think, and in most parts it looked that way. Over all it could have had a few more scares in it, but otherwise was quite good:)

James Morton 21st February 2012 08:08 PM

TRUE LIES
never get tired of watching this action comedy thriller from Cameron
fun entertainment

Handyman Joe 21st February 2012 08:08 PM

Dream Home - Funny how one scene can ruin an entire movie. The set up is promising - an anti heroine slashing her way into the HK property market. Bit of satire, bit of gore. Why ruin it then with a repulsive bit of business with a pregnant woman? All sympathy for our leading lady's plight goes out the window and we're left with a pretty pointless succession of gore scenes. The SFX are good and the violence inventive but I felt this could've been so much better.

Nordicdusk 21st February 2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 218793)
No strings attached
House of the Devil(Ti West)....Saw this on the horror channel and I liked it. It was made to look like it was filmed in the 80's I think, and in most parts it looked that way. Over all it could have had a few more scares in it, but otherwise was quite good:)

I love the 80s feel to this movie.

Gojirosan 22nd February 2012 01:10 AM

The Nun - yet another water themed horror film from the Fantastic Factory. It's not very good (awful plotting, stilted acting) but it is extremely likeable for some reason. I didn't feel I had wasted my time with it.

Demoncrat 22nd February 2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 218764)
DAgon the movie is a hybrid of the short story dagon AND shadow over innsmouth!

The opening takes some ideas very loosley from the short story Dagon with the black sticky landmass emerging from the sea and then moves straight into the innsmouth story. It was appropriate to use both stories as they both refer to dagon, the first directly while the events in innsmouth are a result of dagon worship. Theres plenty changed (dagon was set in the first world war, innsmouth some time in the twenties) but the key story about the town reverting to the old gods in hard times, the cult of the esoteric order of dagon and the interbreeding between elder gods and humans are all straight from the stories.

Whatever. I was merely refering to the tone of the film Dagon. Kooky isnt a word i associate with HPL imo. Dagon the entity is all over the canon. why not use The Thing on The Doorstep then? it has more in common with TSOI....

Rant Over. ;)

AAAnyway....rewatched Maniac (Bill Lustig, 1980) this just gets better and better after time. why o why o why did i leave it so late? c'est la vie and all that...must get The Last Horror Film!!!

Scyther 22nd February 2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 218882)
Whatever. I was merely refering to the tone of the film Dagon. Kooky isnt a word i associate with HPL imo. Dagon the entity is all over the canon. why not use The Thing on The Doorstep then? it has more in common with TSOI....

Rant Over. ;)

AAAnyway....rewatched Maniac (Bill Lustig, 1980) this just gets better and better after time. why o why o why did i leave it so late? c'est la vie and all that...must get The Last Horror Film!!!

The Last Horror Film is great! Definitely worth picking up. :) I enjoyed Dream Home quite a bit, although I wouldn't consider it a classic. House Of the Devil on the other hand....man nothing happens in that movie. I was profoundly bored and didn't really feel the atmosphere, other than the killer 80s title sequence, which was definitely awesome.

Just felt it didn't deliver on the promise. :(

DaveJ.W 22nd February 2012 12:36 PM

The Mummy (1959)

**** out of ****

nekromantik 22nd February 2012 01:25 PM

My last 20 movies I have seen :)

http://i.imgur.com/OyKQR.jpg

The second one at the top is War Boys, the title was way too small to read on that picture. :lol:

Hawkmonger 22nd February 2012 01:44 PM

I had the miss-fortune of watching Moulin Rouge last night for the first time.
How can people like this movie? It's and over rayed piece of dog poopy. Big thumbs down.

sawyer6 22nd February 2012 04:38 PM

Watched Two Evil Eyes,a strange entry for Argento and watched Back To The Future trilogy blu-ray

Susan Foreman 22nd February 2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 218930)
How can people like this movie? It's and over rayed piece of dog poopy. Big thumbs down.

Presumably you are talking about the musical version?

I have tried to watch it many times, and failed. The same goes for Baz Lurmann's Romeo + Juliette thing

Bordom personified!

Handyman Joe 22nd February 2012 07:47 PM

Watching Nightmare again - same old trajectory, brilliant first 30 minutes, full of deranged atmosphere, sleazy locations and a great shock kill scene, then a rank rotten next 40 mins or so haunted by that little shit CJ, a bearded lothario and some dull psychiatrists. Thankfully things perk up again in the closing straight and we're soon knee deep in raspberry sauce. It's part of a great horror movie this but falls way short of the classic status bestowed on it by nostalgia struck horror buffs.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd February 2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 218930)

I was submitted to that once and hated the ridiculous musical versions of songs like Smells like Teen Spirit. As you can imagine, it's not a film I've revisited recently!

I actually quite liked Baz Luhrmann's Australia and, though I've only seen it once (and that was years ago), thought Romeo + Juliet worked quite well - it's a film I'd like to see again.

I'm open to different interpretations of Shakespeare's plays and, on the stage, I've seen Macbeth where the soldiers wear army fatigues and carry machine guns and a weird version of Romeo and Juliet where the the titular couple were in wheelchairs!

Gojirosan 23rd February 2012 08:41 AM

I think Moulin Rouge is excellent. But I digress...

Destroy All Monsters - always one of my favourite 60's God zilla flicks, to see this on Tokyo Shock's wonderful Blu-Ray was glorious. Excellent "mod" futuristic fashions and sets, and a some top SF action ("Fire the maser cannons!"). And monsters. Loads of monsters. Wonderful.

The Return Of Godzilla - by 1984 things were different at Toho. This reboot of the series is dark and bleak, in a Cold War setting with some discussion of nuclear weapons issues that you may find harrowing if you lived through the 70s and 80s (the Russians and Americans trying to get the Japanese to agree to allow a nuclear strike on Godzilla on Japanese soil, I found genuinely moving - evoking the spectres of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and with some very dignified acting from Keiju Kobayashi as the Japanese Prime Minister). Comic relief is very light on the ground, and even the single "clown" character ends up making a deep impassioned speech. It's a powerful entry to the series and is (intentionally) very reminiscent of the original "Godzilla" from 1954. Very highly recommended.

Demoncrat 23rd February 2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 219051)
Watching Nightmare again - same old trajectory, brilliant first 30 minutes, full of deranged atmosphere, sleazy locations and a great shock kill scene, then a rank rotten next 40 mins or so haunted by that little shit CJ, a bearded lothario and some dull psychiatrists. Thankfully things perk up again in the closing straight and we're soon knee deep in raspberry sauce. It's part of a great horror movie this but falls way short of the classic status bestowed on it by nostalgia struck horror buffs.

Burn the heretic!! :laugh:

AAAnyway......watched Centurion (Neil Marshall, 2010).
liked. lovely use of scenery belies the savagery portrayed in this actioner, historically forget it but some great skirmish scenes make up for this, a slightly draggy romantic subsubplot slows it up for a second but i still recommend this, great to spot all the english thesps as well ;);)

BETTER THAN DOOMSDAY imo.

tonight either The Woman in Black or Jess Franco's Count Dracula....