Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2014, 08:32 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Blazing Saddles really is a classic Gene Wilder is perfect in it. I only have to look at him and im already laughing he is a comedy legend.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 9th December 2014, 08:49 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As someone who hasn't seen any of the TV show and only a couple of films, I think that's a fairly generous score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which is one of the most boring films I've ever seen!

As you said, some of it is really good looking, but the script is terrible and it is very slow.
Old 9th December 2014, 08:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As someone who hasn't seen any of the TV show and only a couple of films, I think that's a fairly generous score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which is one of the most boring films I've ever seen!

As you said, some of it is really good looking, but the script is terrible and it is very slow.
It's probally more of a five, but they did fix it for the next movie the wrath of Khan, sadly it's the gene Roddenberrys story that let it down. Painfully slow and a bit preachy with very little action. It is my least favourite trek movie even the final frontier was better as that had one thing the motion picture didn't it was fun.

It's not hard to see why some call it the MOTIONLESS picture
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:18 PM
Cult Master

Dallas-Buyers-Club-Feature.jpg

Set during the AIDS outbreak in the 80s Dallas Buyers Club tells the story of Ron Woodroof ( Matthew McConaughey ) an Electrician and rodeo bull rider. After an accident at work Ron wakes up in hospital where doctors inform him he has tested positive for the AIDS virus and even more shocking is that he only has 30 days to live. At first Ron being a homophobic racist alcohol womanising drug abuser refuses to accept the news because only gays get AIDS. When all his friends turn on him he is left alone to confront his own mortality and to search for anything that will keep him alive.

Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto are nothing short of amazing first off the crazy weight loss which especially with McConaughey is often frightening many time throughout the film i forgot it was even him until he spoke.

Jared Leto plays gay cross dresser and drug addict Rayon who becomes business partners with Ron to bring drugs to other AIDS victims in Dallas. The partnership between both characters is often very funny with Rons homophobia making for some very uncomfortable scenes.

Dallas Buyer Club is dark, gritty, sometimes funny and very moving. It really is a must watch both actors give the performances of their lives to bring this story to life and both deserve all the praise and rewards they got for this film.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It's probally more of a five, but they did fix it for the next movie the wrath of Khan, sadly it's the gene Roddenberrys story that let it down. Painfully slow and a bit preachy with very little action. It is my least favourite trek movie even the final frontier was better as that had one thing the motion picture didn't it was fun.

It's not hard to see why some call it the MOTIONLESS picture
Of the original Star Trek films, I've only seen the first two, with The Wrath of Khan being a really solid sci-fi movie. I really like the two from the rebooted franchise.
Old 9th December 2014, 09:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well last night I got around to watching the Aussie Blu of The Burning. I've seen the film numourous times as I'm sure have many people on here but the Aussie disc is really nice, strong colours and detail. Well as much detail as an 80's slasher film can have. I think the transfer is the same as used on the US disc, I got it fairly cheaply from fishpond which I would certainly use again.
Old 9th December 2014, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Ron being a homophobic racist alcohol womanising drug abuser
Really?

On the Buses must be one hell of a bad influence.
Old 9th December 2014, 10:12 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Really?

On the Buses must be one hell of a bad influence.
Listening to Russ Abbott would drive anyone over the edge.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th December 2014, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Reel Evil (2012)

Three struggling filmmakers finally catch the break they were looking for when they are hired to shoot a 'behind-the-scenes' documentary for a major studio production - a horror film set in an abandoned hospital.

The movie begins quite well with a couple of rewarding blink and you'll miss em' spook appearances and then it's all pretty much forgotten as we get to know the cast and a haze of foggy boredom envelops all.

What makes it worse is that nothing remotely interesting actually happens to our intrepid extra features crew until the last few minutes as we are subjected to endless hackneyed shaky-cam wanderings down green tinted corridors for what seems eternity.

The occasional close up of a naked breast in no way makes up for the rest of the tedious non-events this film has to offer.

I had to smile because the whole film was summed up in just two lines of dialogue. One actress on the main movie says "Is everyone in this film a dick?" and a second character suggests "This is shit".

Dreadful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91NBfEBne4L._SL1500_.jpg (95.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 9th December 2014, 10:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Reel Evil (2012)
I'm pretty sure I've seen that and, as you said, it is terrible.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!