Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2014, 11:47 PM
Cult Addict

So a few nights ago i watched Subspecies, not bad but nothing special.
Then Wednesday night we went to the pics to watch The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. I enjoyed it but it does have some of the worst cgi of the whole trilogy. Also my mate ended up coming with us and his bloody wife started texting him about every 5 minutes for the second half of the damn film. Which meant he kept leaning across me to show my wife his wife's bleeding texts about what time to order the soddin chinese! Last time he comes to the cinema with us.
Lastly tonight i watched Let The Right One In. The original Swedish (?) adaption of John Ajvide Lindqvist's vampire novel.
I've not read the novel but this is in many ways superb. By having the central characters of the story be two 12 year olds the shocks and gore going on around them seems all the more visceral. Did find myself wanting to know more about Eli and her history though.
Old 27th December 2014, 08:27 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Lastly tonight i watched Let The Right One In. The original Swedish (?) adaption of John Ajvide Lindqvist's vampire novel.
I've not read the novel but this is in many ways superb. By having the central characters of the story be two 12 year olds the shocks and gore going on around them seems all the more visceral. Did find myself wanting to know more about Eli and her history though.
Let the Right One In is a modern-day masterpiece, superior in every way to Hammer's remake, Let Me In, and the book is a terrific read. It is slightly different to the film, but they are both brilliant – I think I read the book in two days.
Frankie Teardrop and J Harker like this.
Old 27th December 2014, 09:20 AM
Cult Addict

Judex.

A wealthy but crooked businessman is sent a letter from the mysterious Judex (latin word for judge or justice apparently) advising he must reveal his secrets or face the consequences. What follows is a pulpy, twisted tales of deception and double crosses in the tradition of french pulp adventure stories from the turn of the century. Beautifully directed and full of imagery that crosses into the surreal at certain points it's a film that certainly lingers in the memory and deserves a watch.

Nuites Rouge

The second on the Eureaka double bill this one has a fantomas like master criminal with hypnotised zombie like servants attempting to seize the treasure of the templars, Plenty of high adventure, weird science double crossing and more pulp adventure. This ones in colour with a very vivid palette and the weird science stuff would not be out of place in a classic era Dr Who. Genuinely great fun and makes a wonderful double bill with Judex

Goal of the dead.

50p in cash gen. Bargain. Pretty much sums up modern football for someone who has never been at all interested in the sport. Greed, corruption, media hysteria and zombie viruses...... errrm

Actually that last part works well within the film as a parody of tribal fantacism among fans. I got the impression this french effort was made by someone fond of football but dismayed by the weird cash bloated carnival it has become.
Old 27th December 2014, 05:04 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Let the Right One In is a modern-day masterpiece, superior in every way to Hammer's remake, Let Me In, and the book is a terrific read. It is slightly different to the film, but they are both brilliant – I think I read the book in two days.
Curious Nos, whats your take on the genital scene?
Old 27th December 2014, 06:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Birdman.

A real triumph. Incredible on a narrative, performance and technical level. An absolute must-see film which is one of my favourites of the year.
Old 27th December 2014, 06:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Curious Nos, whats your take on the genital scene?
SPOILER:
It basically shows that Eli used to be a boy and was castrated.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th December 2014, 07:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Deathcheaters

A very entertaing Australian Action/exploitation movie by Brian Trenchard-Smith, partially shot in the Philippines I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STlwNUZrcx8

(Sorry, couldn't find a better video.)
Old 27th December 2014, 07:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Little Deaths (2011)

Little Deaths is a three story British horror anthology with a running theme of sex and death.

The first story House and Home, concerns a YUPPIE couple who invite a homeless girl into their home where both parties end up with more than they bargained for. This was a decent opening half hour to the film let down by some poor acting by the couple and a homeless girl who when seen naked had the scars of at least two boob jobs. Perhaps they cost that much she ended up homeless? Anyway the film redeems itself in it's final moments, showcasing some excellent strong gore effects ultimately providing us with an enjoyable pay off.

Story two Mutant Tool is by far the best of the three. A plot featuring prostitutes, Nazi experiments, and mind altering drugs produced by a mutant human jizz cow. Nicely acted, rather gross and with a well written story, Mutant Tool would have made a very good full length feature.

The final act - Bitch - is quite boring. It's storyline about a guy in an abusive relationship where his girlfriend dominates him with BDSM activities forcing him to act like a dog before pegging him and such like. You can see the ending from a long way off making this a disappointing final third.

All in all Little Deaths is merely ok with one segment head and shoulders above the others. I'd still recommend the film though as it's certainly different to much of today's horror output and definitely achieves it's theme of sex and death.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Little_Deaths_Poster.jpg (18.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 27th December 2014, 07:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Little Deaths (2011)
Sounds interesting. I guess the title is a play on 'La petite mort", which is French for 'the little death", and is a slang term for an orgasm.
Old 27th December 2014, 08:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Sounds interesting. I guess the title is a play on 'La petite mort", which is French for 'the little death", and is a slang term for an orgasm.
it is .

saw it a while ago a pretty decent film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!