Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Culture Vulture 27th February 2012 03:30 PM

Last night I watched Bulworth, which was weird, entertaining and thought-provoking. Recommended if you like entertainment that offers up something deeper. As I type this I am watching Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell.

Edit: I know, I know, neither are horror, sorry!

James Morton 27th February 2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 220186)
Just watched Slashers this film is so so bad in every sense that its entertaining..

I enjoyed Maurice Devereaux' $LA$HER$
low budget fun horror, got the R1 well R0 really
his last film END OF THE LINE is very good too

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th February 2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture Vulture (Post 220313)
Edit: I know, I know, neither are horror, sorry!

This thread doesn't just have to be about horror movies as it just asks 'What films any have you seen recently?', not 'What horror films', so no need to apologise and feel free to post about any film you watch.

On that note (pardon the pun), I've just finished watching Tommy, the Ken Russell rock musical with the Who and the great cast of other musicians.

Culture Vulture 27th February 2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 220316)
This thread doesn't just have to be about horror movies as it just asks 'What films any have you seen recently?', not 'What horror films', so no need to apologise and feel free to post about any film you watch.

On that note (pardon the pun), I've just finished watching Tommy, the Ken Russell rock musical with the Who and the great cast of other musicians.

I'd just noticed that it was in the horror lucky dip section so added the edit ;)

I've just started watching Uwe Boll's Blackwoods. It's been on a few minutes so far. As a Boll virgin I'm curious to see what the alleged worst director ever is actually like as a director.

Wish me luck, ladies and gentlemen - I'm going in...

Rik 27th February 2012 04:47 PM

3 films for me yesterday.
1) The Wicker Man, pretty self explanatory
2) Coming To America, classic Eddie Murphy comedy and finally
3) The Midnight Meat Train. Excellent Clive Barker adaption featuring probably Vinnie Jones's finest performance, plenty of gore and well directed by a Japanese guy who's name I can't spell let alone pronounce. I watched it on Netflix to see what all the fuss with this service is all about and have to say I won't be subscribing once my free month is up as there just isn't enough content to warrant £5.99 a month, sticking with the excellent Lovefilm.
Tonight's viewing is going to consist of Zombies, Sex and Guns, according to the cover of Dellamorte Dellamore that was sat waiting for me when I got home. First time seeing this so it's fair to say I'm a tad excited :)

gag 27th February 2012 06:45 PM

Just watched Hannah for some reason the film just didnt grab me and also bored me. i would have been quite happy to turn it off at some point if it wasnt for 2 other people watching it as well as me.

Handyman Joe 27th February 2012 07:45 PM

Bedevilled - A little frustrating this one. For the most part it's an inspired hybrid of The Profound Desire of the Gods (city dweller heads off to weirdo island) and I Spit On Your Grave (revenge, guts). There's great character development, a fascinating central relationship and it's all beautifully shot (perfect blu ray transfer this one). Shame then that the movie runs 30 mins or so too long and lapses into grand guignol absurdity. All the subtle touches, the great acting, are sacraficed at the altar of excess. The director tries to repair the damage right at the end but it's too late, he just didn't know when to stop (a common fault of Korean cinema for me). I would still recommend this, especially at a fiver for the blu on Amazon, but sadly it's not the stone cold classic it should have been.

DaveJ.W 27th February 2012 08:06 PM

10 to Midnight (1983)

*** out of ****

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th February 2012 08:14 PM

Some recent viewings:

Enter The Void: Noe is one of my favourite directors working today, and ETV is one of his best works to date, imo. I've heard people complain about the length of this one (it clocks in at almost 3 hours), but it is time well spent as your senses are assaulted by some great imagery which intertwines the story of a brother and sister who's parents are killed when they are very young, and their struggle to cope in an ugly world.

Melancholia: I watched this again recently, and it is still as brilliant the second time around. Not only my favourite film from 2011, but one of the best I've ever seen: period. Such a beautiful and mesmerising film, although I understand that many won't share my love of this masterpiece!

Four Lions: Very funny, very 'Un-PC' film from Chris 'Brass Eye' Morris about inept but try-hard wannabe suicide bombers. Very well written and acted throughout; despite its subject matter this is highly enjoyable stuff.

Vengeance: Fairly decent action-revenge film from Johnnie To with plenty of gun play and a pretty decent, even if at sometimes strung-out plot. One thing that bugged me a bit was that every time someone was shot, it would be accompanied with a puff of bright red mist, which was a bit off-putting.

The Gorgon: Not top-tier Hammer, but still very enjoyable nonetheless; The Gorgon puts an interesting spin on the original Greek myth, to pretty decent effect. Cushing is on hand to play the stern doctor, whilst Lee plays a suitably OTT professor character. Predictable, and a tad bizarre in places but this is definitely worth a watch.

Repo Man: It's been years since I last saw this, so I cracked open my Eureka BD Steelbook with glee on arrival and was extremely impressed with the transfer (and the package as a whole). The film itself has also held up really well over the years and is a nice slice of deliciously dark comedy / sci-fi drama. Great score, too.

Pete 27th February 2012 08:15 PM

Despite being a fan of Alex Cox I've never seen REPO MAN. :shocked:

Rik 27th February 2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 220418)

And there was me thinking I was the only one on here who hasn't seen it

VicDakin 27th February 2012 08:43 PM

recent viewing

4 Attachment(s)
my recent watches

Hawkmonger 27th February 2012 08:43 PM

@Bizzare
Four Lions is rather great isn't it.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th February 2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 220418)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 220422)

It's definitely worth checking out. :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 220433)
@Bizzare
Four Lions is rather great isn't it.

Definitely! :thumb:

Rik 27th February 2012 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dellamorte Dellamore- Can't believe I've waited this long before seeing this absolute classic of a film, I enjoyed every minute of it. And I couldn't care less if Anna Falchi's breasticles are fake, they looked bloody great to me, just in case you need convincing
Attachment 45562

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2012 10:13 PM

What did you think of Clash of the Titans Vic?

I watched it myself a couple of weeks ago for the first time as i wanted the poor reviews out of memory when i watched it .

I quite enjoyed it, seemed a pretty fun monster flick. If it had a different title more people would have been reasonable with it i feel. It is however not a patch on the original classic film.

Rik 27th February 2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 220452)

I watched it myself a couple of weeks ago for the first time as i wanted the poor reviews out of memory when i watched it .

I quite enjoyed it, seemed a pretty fun monster flick. If it had a different title more people would have been reasonable with it i feel. It is however not a patch on the original classic film.

I rented it for me and my son to watch a couple of weeks back as we are both huge fans of the original, needless to say we both really liked it and I will be taking him to see the upcoming sequel Wrath of the Titans next month. Just goes to show, not all reviews are right.

pedromonkey 27th February 2012 10:33 PM

Viewings for the last Two weeks...

RENEGADES: Fun action buddy film with Keifer Sutherland and Lou Diamond phillips about an undercover cop who teams up with an Indian to retrieve a sacred spear from bad guy Teabag (off of Prision Break)

PHANTOMS: Underrated horror from writer Dean Koontz about an evil presence in a small deserted town and the people who have to stop it. The Cast is better than it has any right to be, Ben Affleck, Liev Schreiber, Rose McGowen and Peter O'Tool star.

UNTHINKABLE: Michael Sheen plays a terrorist who has planted 3 nukes in three different U.S cities and it's up to Samuel L.Jackson and Carrie Anne Moss to find out where they are. Jackson plays one of the most ruthless interrogators i've ever seen. A very good thriller.

REAL STEEL: Surprisingly uplifting sci-fi sport film that comes across as Rocky meets Transformers for what is pretty much just Rock'em Sock'em Robots the movie. Great fun.

IN TIME: Original if flawed Sci-fi from the guy who made Gattraca about a future where everyone stops aging at 25 and the only way to continue living is to pay for everything in Time. Justin Timberlake stars and he's actually pretty good. Also stars that girl off of Mama Mia, you know the one that looks like Steve Buscemi....

ASSASSINATION GAMES: Lackluster action film starring Van Damme and Scott Adkins with next to 0 action and the same old tired 'hitmen join forces' plot that we've seen hundreds of time before. Adds nothing new to the action genre.

FINAL DESTINATION 5: For me the best since the second. Innovative kills and some pretty good uses of 3D mixed with a good script and a kick ass twist made this a pretty fun watch.

THE WARD: Welcome return for John Carpenter. An interesting take on the haunted Asylum plot with some great performances. Was good if a little too easy for Carpenter. Jarred Harris and Amber Heard are both great in this.

MOTHERS DAY (2011): Really really enjoyed this so-called 'remake' of the old Troma movie. Had sod all in common with the original but was a brutal, well shot and very well acted, by Rebecca De Mornay, Home Invasion thriller. Defo worth a look.

THE DEAD: Stunning Africa shot Zombie films from Britain's The Ford Brothers, with some great old school Fulci and Romero zombies. Not so heavy on the action but very very well acted and paced. Highly recommend this.

SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD: By far Romero's worst zombie film. Nicely filmed and well acted by Kenneth Walsh as O'Flynn and by Alan Van Sprang as Sarg. Over use of CGI in a Romero film and some really really bad ideas such as a zombie riding a horse and the god awful music. Still watchable but surely it's time he gave it a rest.

REPLICANT: Jean Claude Van Damme playing two versions of himself in the same movie, wow never seen that before in one of his films...;) in all seriousness though this was actually pretty decent. I think it helped that JCVD was starring opposite Michael Rooker who just nails everything he's in. Good direction from Ringo Lam too.

COMMAND PERFORMANCE: Dolph Lundgren plays Joe, ex-member of a biker gang turned drummer for some Euro rock band playing a benefit concert in Russia that gets taken over by some very nasty men. Dolph teams up with a presidential security agent to take them down and save the day. Actually found this film to be a great fun action film in the mould of Die Hard. It was written and directed by Dolph and it's well made even if some of the russians have american accent. Good rainy afternoon popcorn entertainment.

HURT LOCKER: Finally got around to watching this and i must say it is indeed a brilliant film. Incredibly well directed by Katherine Bigalow and written by Mark Boel with an intense performance from Jeremy Renner. It's pretty obvious to see why this was loved by all the awards ceremonies.

APOLLO 18: Now i know alot of people really hate this film and it is very very flawed but it had a very interesting idea behind it. It's well made and acted but the shooting style became quite annoying as it cut back and forth from 4x3 to 16:9 due to the changes in cameras. It's biggest flaw is how how the video footage is uploaded to the net for the film when it was apparently, according to the film, never recovered...AS IT'S IN SPACE!!!!. Worth a look if you can get it for free.

Frankie Teardrop 28th February 2012 12:43 AM

SQUARE ROOT OF 964 PINOCCHIO- Much as I'm in favour of films based around the idea of a failed sex robot screaming whilst running down a street backwards, I have to say that watching this just put me to sleep. Well, I thought you were only ever allowed to watch harsh Japanese underground cyberpunk at 04.00 in the morning - evidently this notion is total bollocks. When I did emerge from my slumber at one point, the wonders of hypnagogia made me believe for a split second that I was watching a really bad eighties action flick featuring Jigsaw's Mr Noseybonk. I really wish that that had been the case, and now feel incredibly frustrated and angry that no such film actually exists. If it did exist, it would probably make explicit all Mssr Noseybonk's latent perviness and be hugely questionable or something, but it would be better than having a dream about a massive dog eating a very neat cucumber sandwich, which is what happened to me after I turned my DVD player off. Anyway, I'm just letting you know all this to make it clear that trying to watch this movie did not in any way make me a better or more worthwhile person, OK?
ZOMBIE FLESHEATERS 2 - A sensible film, at last. Although not a very good one, unless you're into the setting sun of late 80s Italian horror. I am, so I take it all back, it's great on a fun level and contains at least two jaw droppingly over the top moments involving flying zombie heads and a really vicious undead womb dweller. It's not Fulci at his finest, but it rattles and spurts along well enough for me.

Gojirosan 28th February 2012 07:16 AM

Carny - really enjoyed this particularly dark SyFy effort. Some masterful Lou Diamond Phillips brooding (of course!) and some surprisingly gruesome gore scenes. I'd recommend this one. Plus, The Jersey Devil is a fine monster.

I started watching Timber Falls too, but after a quarter of an hour I couldn't bear the tedious familiarity of the set-up, and went to bed. I'll give it another go later or tomorrow, if only for Beth Broderick.

darthelvis 28th February 2012 07:25 AM

DYLAN DOG 2/5
TUCKER & DALE VS EVIL 5/5

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th February 2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 220417)
Repo Man: It's been years since I last saw this, so I cracked open my Eureka BD Steelbook with glee

You now, there is a way of opening them quite easily so you don't have to resort to cracking the tin!

Prince_Vajda 28th February 2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 220417)
Repo Man: I cracked open my Eureka BD Steelbook with glee on arrival

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 220490)
You now, there is a way of opening them quite easily so you don't have to resort to cracking the tin!

http://files.rakuten.de/0d130fea3eea...da1851ac83.jpg

:lol:

Greetings!

Demoncrat 28th February 2012 10:34 AM

Your Highness.
one of the better "spoofs" ive seen, very rude etc. McBride is an acquired taste, and im not a fan of everything he does, but i like a laugh (hey, D'amato fan etc) so sue me. and Ms Portman's bum is always a welcome bonus.

antmumford 28th February 2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 220422)

I haven't seen it either, don't even know the plot :blush:

Baseball Fury 28th February 2012 01:42 PM

All you non Repo Man viewers need to remedy this ASAP.

antmumford 28th February 2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 220543)
All you non Repo Man viewers need to remedy this ASAP.

I guess I'll have to just wait for the Blu-ray to turn up on Lovefilm then as I have no money to buy it. Although I may have a massive clear out of my DVD's and Blu-rays soon as I'm slowly losing interest in collecting stuff now (except for Arrow Video stuff and certain steelbooks) :(

VicDakin 28th February 2012 04:59 PM

Bubo the Mechanical Owl

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 220452)

I agree,i didnt watch on its release because of the usual anti remake propaganda (which im also guilty of) and really enjoyed it,top notch cast,good effects (apart from the underwater bit at the end) obviously not as good Mr Harryhausen,Sam Worthington is quite a capable action man,but his accent wobbled on accasions,i did'nt realise the Aussies came from Argos ( you think they realised that its a chain of catalogue shops,and not ancient city),I luv the original and i really liked the cameo from Bubo the Mechanical Owl.All in all not bad way to pass the time away,and much better than the Conan remake (only my opinion of course.i reserve the right to be wrong)

Handyman Joe 28th February 2012 05:34 PM

In a Glass Cage - Is this the most disturbing movie ever made? You know what, I think it pretty well could be. Cinemas 2 greatest taboos child abuse/murder and Holocaust atrocities collide, not in a tacky, gory way but in a cold, clinical, beautifully shot movie which, needless to say is far more terrifying than an Isla type campfest. I struggled to get through this, yet was blown away by the cinematography, acting and music. The art direction is almost Suspiria like with all the bold blues and reds. Blu ray picture is amazing. Tough to recommend then, but tough to ignore - the choice is yours!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th February 2012 05:50 PM

In a Glass Cage is really uncomfortable viewing. I keep meaning to pick up the Blu-ray.

Hawkmonger 28th February 2012 05:57 PM

Is it worse than Solos?

nekromantik 28th February 2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 220628)
Is it worse than Solos?

They both dark and uncomfortable viewing but slightly different kind of movie.
If you can sit through one then you should be able to sit through both.

I keep meaning to pick up the US blu also.

Handyman Joe 28th February 2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 220628)
Is it worse than Solos?

It's the old turn of the screw factor - children being involved - that makes it that bit worse IMO

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th February 2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 220627)
In a Glass Cage is really uncomfortable viewing. I keep meaning to pick up the Blu-ray.

I haven't seen but, like you, keep meaning to order the US BD. I imagine it's the sort of film which has the most impact on first viewing when you know little about what happens.

nekromantik 28th February 2012 07:24 PM

Its quite a surreal experience watching In a Glass Cage.

Make Them Die Slowly 28th February 2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 220660)
I haven't seen but, like you, keep meaning to order the US BD. I imagine it's the sort of film which has the most impact on first viewing when you know little about what happens.

Nope, it's still shocking on second and third viewing. I recently watched it up scaled on my fancy new telly and the clarity of image made the opening scene even worse to see. The same director's "El Mar" is another excellent film with a shocking opening scene but in a very different way to "In A Glass Cage".

keirarts 28th February 2012 09:15 PM

Just watched an anime movie called GYO.

Its an adaptation of the manga by junji ito. If the name sounds in anyway familiar he also authored uzamaki which was turned into a pretty decent horror movie and museum of terror (which spawned the tomie movies). He's one of the best horror authors in japan imo and the live action adaptations of his work while good fun sometimes fail to capture some of the downright unnerving and disturbing imagery from his books. GYO being animated has none of the constraints of live action and is a fantastic experience for an ito fan such as myself, at the same time its a genuinely disturbing and outright scary movie as well!

Three young girls head out to a country house on one of the okinawan islands to celebrate after graduating college. One night walking back to the house they smell something revolting. Later that night they get attacked by a weird creature that turns out to be a foul-smelling fish walking on strange mechanical legs. The next day more and more walking fish begin to emerge and bgin attacking the local population and... well I dont want to give the whole plot away suffice to say as daft as the premise sounds there is some genuinely disturbing moment in the movie, some truly disgusting imagery incorporating body horror at a level that might even creep out david cronenberg!

Theres no sign of a western release yet but hopefully western distributors will decide to give this one a release. Even horror fans not normally used to watching anime are reccomended this movie. A great slice of horror!

Scyther 29th February 2012 02:18 AM

Watched this Italian sex comedy from Andrea 'Burial Ground' Bianchi. Didn't even know it existed before it arrived at my door to review...couldn't even find much information about it on the internet, either, strangely enough!

Even stranger, I really enjoyed it, and I'm quite picky with my Italian sex comedies! Of course, Femi Benussi made the viewing all the easier...:woot:

Andrea Bianchi's 'Cara Dolce Nipote' is an Italian sex comedy gem - Boston Movie | Examiner.com

The leading lady here, from what I gather, made this film, and promptly disappeared from sight! Perhaps she had her fill of Bianchi's obsession with Malabimba-esque incest? :eek:

Baseball Fury 29th February 2012 11:57 AM

Watched Cell 211 last night, a Spanish prison riot film. I liked it, believable characters and good performances. A bit light on tension though.

Scyther 29th February 2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 220674)
Its quite a surreal experience watching In a Glass Cage.

Dude, that movie doesn't get any easier to watch! Totally downer, but brilliant nonetheless! The blues there are totally striking.