Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179515Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:54 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Oh yeah, I also had a serial killer biopic binge:

Ted Bundy: excellent. Another winner from Matthew Bright. Stylish and close to the facts. A superb film. Excellent lead performance.

Citizen X: A top notch HBO police procedural about the difficulties of catching Andrei Chikatilo under the Soviet regime. Great cast and a fine production all around.

Karla: a harrowing depiction of the Paul Bernardo/Karla Homolka case from Karla's (not necessarily trustworthy) perspective. Laura Prepon is amazing as Homolka. Difficult to watch at times, but there are some creaks in the actual film-making - possibly the ambitions outstripped the budget. Recommended though.
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Necromentia" - I got this due to the blurb that said it was based on the works of Clive Barker. What a load of old tosh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Necromentia.jpg (3.1 KB, 4 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:47 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Went to see Avatar in 3D last night and luved every moment of it! Believe the hype! It was such a great film. Not just visually but also intellectually, besides the story (which itself is nothing new) being told superbly with enough excitement and tension to kill an elderly person, it also has very strong messages behind it, including anti-war, enviromental, hegemonic, hyper-reality, racist allegories (or any other minorites) to name but just a few. The acting is brilliant, always great to see the incredibly Sigourney Weaver on the screen. It is visually stunning and the CGI is the some of the best I've seen.

A truly other-worldly and magical film that I can see becoming a timeless masterpiece. What it lacks in narrative originalitiy it makes up for well in mind-blowing spectacle.

Try and catch it in 3D at an IMAX cinema too for the full impact of this film.
Old 2nd January 2010, 11:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
Saw The Box tonight really enjoyed it. If you liked Donnie Darko I suggest going to see this. It has a creepy twilight zone atmosphere and is complex enough to leave you asking questions as you leave the cinema.

SAw box few wk back be honest did u realy fully understand it
You def right about it leaving u Q? more Q than answers
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:22 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I saw Paranormal Activity!!!

It was utter shit!!!

I think it may even have been worse than The Blair Witch Project...about on a par of gashness with Cloverfield. The marvellous Rec remains the only effective horror film I have seen to use this format.
I've not seen it yet, but Mark Kermode - a big fan of Blairwitch - said it paled in comparison to other films which use the format.

I'm actually a fan of BW, so I will check this out, despite the warning sign of massive hype.
Old 2nd January 2010, 01:30 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I never even watched all of Paranormal Activity.Another case of a movie being so completely over-hyped that all it could do was disappoint me.
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i watched comedy zombie western UNDEAD OR ALIVE yesterday, terribly good fun, reminded me of Cannibal the musical. worth a view, some good gore FX too.
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Strange View Post
I've not seen it yet, but Mark Kermode - a big fan of Blairwitch - said it paled in comparison to other films which use the format.

I'm actually a fan of BW, so I will check this out, despite the warning sign of massive hype.
It's nowhere near as frightening as the hype makes out, but as low budget horror films go it is enjoyable enough. It actually helps seeing this in a cinema with an audience up for the frights. Made it a lot more fun for me anyway.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My first film of 2010:
Spasmo, solid giallo from Umberto Lenzi, with typically nice photography and an interesting, if slighty barmy, plot.

A huuuuuuuge improvement over my first film of 09; I Spit on Your Corpse, I Piss on Your Grave.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That the one I traded you Looper?
I never even watched it.....flog it on Amazon-last time I looked they were going for crazy money!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!