Old 1st February 2015, 02:23 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Kick Ass is brilliant, still need to see the sequel
Set your expectations low, because I found it to be extremely disappointing. Whereas Kick-Ass was fresh, original, audacious and a joy from beginning to end, the sequel is pretty mediocre and doesn't have the vibrancy which made the first film such a standout action film.
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st February 2015, 03:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (Blue Underground).

As we know probably one of Dario's best films, but watching this from Blue Underground is like watching it for the first time, compared to the Arrow release this is 100% better. Correct AR, colour well saturated and grain intact. In a word fantastic.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage | Blu-ray: UK vs. Blu-ray: US

Fully agree, in its correct ratio it's a much better experience.

Already mentioned elsewhere but for those here without the (currently) £80+ to burn on the BU release the VCI release is the way to go.
tele1962 likes this.
Old 1st February 2015, 07:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Jess Franco's Jack the Ripper (1976)

A police inspector enlists his daughter to help him out by playing a hooker and visiting the bars and gin joints of London's East End in a bid to capture the notorious serial killer Jack the Ripper.

Franco goes all Victorian Gothic in this stylish and fairly slick horror. The sets are lavish and the mood is highly atmospheric as the one and only Klaus Kinski goes about slashing and mutillating prostitutes in vividly gory detail.

However the film, also written by Franco, is completely inaccurate factually regarding the Ripper case and is played totally for exploitation rather than historical precision, so anyone with the remotest interest or knowledge of the infamous serial killer will at no doubt have their head in their hands throughout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack_the_Ripper_dirnenmoerder-plakat.jpg (92.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 1st February 2015, 09:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Had an evil child/parent film sort of day

Mommy (1996)

Patty Mcormack & Brinke Stevens star in this badly acted low budget film about a prudish snob who will let nobody and nothing stop her daughter gaining the finest of life & takes it upon herself to slaughter anyone who dares cause her or her daughter the tiniest of inconveniences. 7/10

Mommy 2 (Mommy's Day) 1997

Stevens & Mccormack return

supposedly reformed killer mother is out,however when the murders start uo again... the detective lt March/Marsh whatever is now played by another actor,but an equally as bad one. vicious skating boot scene is worth a view alone 6/10

Mikey 1992?

Ashley Lawrance is amongst the cast in this evil little barsteward flick. Mikey is basically an evil little brat who wants his own way... so basically the same as all the other films of this sort however this one has some LOL moments & is good fun/ Try track down the OOP R1 dvd if you can 8/10

Daddy's Little Girl (1996)

Another spoilt lil shit played by redhead Gabrielle Boni (who as an adult now scrubs up rather well ) anyhoo... William Katt (House I & Iv) is daddy,little girl wants daddy all to herself,so all teachers,other relatives & neighbours must encounter "accidents" 6/10

The Bad seed 1956

Before being an evil mum in the 90's Patty Mccormack was an evil child in the 50's shocking for it's time. must check out if you haven't already go for the DVD version the Blu strangely comes off worse for wear in comparison 9/10

The Children Aka Children of Ravensback (1980

This film is never going to win any awards for acting or style,but I love it I am biased as this was the first horror VHS I ever got when I was just 12. Back then it scared the life out of me,now I scold myself & laugh at that fact. It may be crap but it's the finest crap like a bottle of wine kept in the cellar to age well. Which it certainly hasn't but I still love it.

Lil shits go through a nuclear radiation cloud & get black fingernails when said fingernails are black they are gifted with the amazingly cool talent of barbequing their parents & siblings into a charcoal roast. the only way to stop them is chop off their hands (which even by today's controversial beliefs) was probably daring & deserves recognition for going with that.

It's available by Troma on DVD,however I watched my DVD-R which is actually a much better print sadly than the official one. to most this is probably 2/10 but for me it is 9/10 as it holds special memories this film.
Old 1st February 2015, 09:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
The Children Aka Children of Ravensback (1980

This film is never going to win any awards for acting or style,but I love it I am biased as this was the first horror VHS I ever got when I was just 12. Back then it scared the life out of me,now I scold myself & laugh at that fact. It may be crap but it's the finest crap like a bottle of wine kept in the cellar to age well. Which it certainly hasn't but I still love it.

Lil shits go through a nuclear radiation cloud & get black fingernails when said fingernails are black they are gifted with the amazingly cool talent of barbequing their parents & siblings into a charcoal roast. the only way to stop them is chop off their hands (which even by today's controversial beliefs) was probably daring & deserves recognition for going with that.

It's available by Troma on DVD,however I watched my DVD-R which is actually a much better print sadly than the official one. to most this is probably 2/10 but for me it is 9/10 as it holds special memories this film.
I really liked it too.

...and I agree: The Bad Seed is a must!
Old 1st February 2015, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2012)

Although it's not Cult Labs material, this is a charming, witty, brilliantly acted piece of British cinema with a fine cast on top of it's game.

Highly recommended when you want something a bit different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-best-exotic-marigold-hotel.jpg (50.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 1st February 2015, 10:11 PM
Active Cultist

Kill That Bitch, 2014. 5/10

Cool mask, as you can see and Haley Jay so cute and tiny. : ) But thats about it. I can't get into a film that show the start of a brutal act, then switches the camera away, or puts a table or chair in front of the torture/kill/stabbing, then go back and see the aftermath. That does not make a horror film, unless there is a great amazing build up that your mind can..imagine the scene, well that didn't happen. This film will reside next to Easter Casket. Oh, alot of naked women, but that doesn't make a horror movie either.. I just can't get into Dustin Wayde Mills' films.

Maniac, 1980. 10/10

Redeemed myself by watching this masterpiece. : ) ****. Such an amazing piece of cinema, it does everything right. Joe Spinell is just perfect. I can feel his insanity. The score...beautiful. I love this movie.
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:23 AM
Active Cultist

Oh god, I'm still doing sword and sorcery, does this count as self-harm? More "I found it in poundland" crappiness this time around again.

Crusade of Vengeance (2002) is one of those really unassuming films that you wonder why it was made. A basic storyline, low budget production (Lithuanian forests standing in for the English countryside), it feels more like a lost TV pilot than an actually film.

The storyline is set during the Crusades and sees a woman team up with three other women to fight the evil Lord Grekkor (a classic English name there) to get back her son whom he kidnapped. The fact that they are women doing the fighting never really seems to bother the plot and they could mostly be played by male actors without any problems.

The only highlight is that Grekkor is played by perennial cult favourite Rutger Hauer and his second in command as Arnold Vosloo.

You can tell that the producers got a little desperate to try and find a market for this film as they add in a very gropy, naked, rape scene and some close-up boobs during a later love scene that do not sit will in this otherwise PG rateable effort.

Not worth watching except for the most die-hard Hauer fans.

My full review of Crusade of Vengeance (2002).
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched The Final Terror (83). Brought back memories did this one! Mainly of tin can lids cough....

Without Warning (80). Not one I've have had the pleasure of seeing, Palance chews what Landau has left of the scenery, recommended!

Blood Glacier aka The Station (2013)
German "tribute" to The Thing etc. Better than that sounds, but the rather tacked on ending made me frown a bit...still worth a look!!

Shoah (part2) (1985). Ouch.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd February 2015, 03:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE STEEL BAYONET (1957)

A handful of British soldiers are tasked with holding an desert farmhouse,using it as an observation post to fend off advancing German forces in Tunis.

Hammer Films go to war in this explosive action film. Featuring many Hammer regulars, this is a great boys own adventure story with well staged action scenes as outnumbered British troops fight off overwhelming forces.

Like this? Share it using the links below!