Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2015, 03:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I recently watched -

H.G Wells First men in the moon -
I picked it up for £3, i assumed that for £3 it would be worth it seeing the Harryhausen creatures but it wasn't what i expected - The synopsis makes out the film is a Sci-Fi epic with extraterrestrial creatures, the U.N attempt a lunar landing and what they find is more horrifying than ever imagined... So i was wanting some Sci-Fi cheese with stop motion creatures and i got a poor mans bedknobs and broomsticks without the signing, the characters are unwatchable the storyline is.... there isn't one and... just don't buy this film, i know why it was in CEX now...

Drew Struzan: Man behind the Poster -
I won this movie from Kyle's Competition corner here at cult labs, I am a visual learner so most things i see i take something from it so movie art work combines two things i like a lot. The film shows how this guy, like most of us was a hard working under appreciated guy being ripped off by fellow human beings in some way or other but he had a strong relationship with his wife and made something of the life he had which lead to the life he is now famous for having lived. It's a fantastic film and unlike some documentaries (i have watched/own a lot) it has replay value. Well worth keeping your eye out for this one if you like doc's that have good production value and a subject that is worth caring about.

Mama -
A horror movie about a ghost who killed a child then decides... sh*t, i fell asleep at the keyboard... Another film to contribute to that crazy poop storm of crap horror films still trying to cash in on the paranormal gravy train which it's self was still milking the long dead cow of 'Cheap to make, found footage films' started by the Blair Witch film, which i actually enjoyed at the time... save your money and time and youtube a clip of the woman (Ghost) in her full glory at the end of the film and watch something else.
Old 12th March 2015, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
I recently watched -

H.G Wells First men in the moon -
I picked it up for £3, i assumed that for £3 it would be worth it seeing the Harryhausen creatures but it wasn't what i expected - The synopsis makes out the film is a Sci-Fi epic with extraterrestrial creatures, the U.N attempt a lunar landing and what they find is more horrifying than ever imagined... So i was wanting some Sci-Fi cheese with stop motion creatures and i got a poor mans bedknobs and broomsticks without the signing, the characters are unwatchable the storyline is.... there isn't one and... just don't buy this film, i know why it was in CEX now...

Drew Struzan: Man behind the Poster -
I won this movie from Kyle's Competition corner here at cult labs, I am a visual learner so most things i see i take something from it so movie art work combines two things i like a lot. The film shows how this guy, like most of us was a hard working under appreciated guy being ripped off by fellow human beings in some way or other but he had a strong relationship with his wife and made something of the life he had which lead to the life he is now famous for having lived. It's a fantastic film and unlike some documentaries (i have watched/own a lot) it has replay value. Well worth keeping your eye out for this one if you like doc's that have good production value and a subject that is worth caring about.

Mama -
A horror movie about a ghost who killed a child then decides... sh*t, i fell asleep at the keyboard... Another film to contribute to that crazy poop storm of crap horror films still trying to cash in on the paranormal gravy train which it's self was still milking the long dead cow of 'Cheap to make, found footage films' started by the Blair Witch film, which i actually enjoyed at the time... save your money and time and youtube a clip of the woman (Ghost) in her full glory at the end of the film and watch something else.
Been there haha. Great reviews!!
Vipp likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th March 2015, 05:49 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Nice to see some approval for 'Unhinged'. It gets some heat for being boring by the few people who can be bothered to watch it these days. It is boring, sort of, but also really strange. Maybe I'm being subjective, but I find it quite eerie in a way that I can't really put my finger on... possibly something that follows from those odd editing choices you mentioned. Interesting to hear about the GVS connection.
Apparently Don Gronquist and his wife appear in MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO. There was even a wager on how cheap a 35mm film could be made for that van sant was involved in with Gronquist that was how unhinged came about. Once he gets going he's got some interesting tales but the commentary tracks on the code red edition really needed a moderator.
Old 12th March 2015, 07:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mirrors (2008)

French director Alexandre Aja seems to have a knack of revisiting other people's work and adding a refreshing new spin on things. (Perhaps Dean Koontz would beg to differ though.) I thoroughly enjoyed The Hills Have Eyes, and Piranha was ok as well. Mirrors is a remake of a Korean supernatural horror which i haven't seen, titled Into The Mirror, so any comparisons are redundant.

Fortunately Mirrors ,which stars Keifer Sutherland, is an absorbing, chilling tale with startling gore effects. Although for stretches the pacing is a little off and the film runs about 20 minutes too long.

However the film's overall concept about your reflection causing you harm is well played and creates a spooky and at times jaw dropping narrative.

Easily the best movie about haunted mirrors to date. Then again the competition isn't that strong.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poster2.jpg (84.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 12th March 2015, 07:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Two movies; Hellraiser IV: Bloodline and God Told Me To. One documentary - Fantasm.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 12th March 2015, 09:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Mirrors (2008)
I really didn't care for Mirrors as I consider Into the Mirror to be one of the best lesser-known J-horrors and the remake to be a pale imitation.
Old 12th March 2015, 10:59 PM
Cult Master

o_silent-assassins-dvd-80s-ninja-exploitation-film-be56.jpg

A Bio-chemist /scientist i cant remember its not really explained is kidnapped along with a little random Japanese child how this came about is even more stupid than the fact that they decided to take her along for the ride in the first place. The Bio terrorists that kidnap the scientist want a formula he has been working on so they hold the world to ransom with a bio weapon. If you like Biology you will love this

I only picked this up because Linda Blair was in it and looking at her holding that gun on the cover i was led to believe she would be kicking ass but she just spends half movie moaning about not getting to spend enough time with her cop boyfriend and the other half in bed with him and you guessed it still moaning about how she does not get to spend time with him

At times it can be extremely cheesey but over all its a fun film with some really good action. The gang of bad guys were the highlight there were a strange mixture of ninjas in camo cloths wearing balaclavas and using what looked like medieval weapons.

Very enjoyable way to pass 88 minutes if you are in to that sort of thing.
Old 13th March 2015, 09:30 AM
Cult Rookie

Finally got around to watching The Others recently. Thought it was a nice tribute to movies like The Haunting and The Innocents, though those are certainly better in my opinion.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."

- Edgar Allan Poe
Old 13th March 2015, 03:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I really didn't care for Mirrors as I consider Into the Mirror to be one of the best lesser-known J-horrors and the remake to be a pale imitation.
(Korean)
Old 13th March 2015, 03:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
(Korean)
I know – I'm using the term 'J-horror' to refer to the whole Asian horror selection of films from the 1990s and early 2000s.

Like this? Share it using the links below!