Watched today:

Trick 'r Treat

The Hills Run Red

Demonium

The Burning

Old 7th January 2010, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I haven't seen Trick or Hills but I have seen the other two. I thought The Burning was excellent and Demonium really silly but fun at the same time (no doubt some will disagree with that!)

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 7th January 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 7th January 2010, 08:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I havent seen Trick or Hills but I have seen the other two. I thought The Burning was excellent and Demonium really silly but fun at the same time (no doubt some will disagree with that!)
I hadn't seen Trick or Hills either loops. Both were good though; especially Trick. The Burning is an excellent film, one of my favourite slashers. I (finally) got the MGM R1 release for Xmas, so thought I'd give it a spin. Demonium is very silly, but has some great gore set-pieces in it, and as you say - is a lot of fun. I hadn't seen it in a while and it seemed to jump out at me when I was browsing the shelves for something to watch!
Old 7th January 2010, 08:30 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I havent seen Trick or Hills but I have seen the other two. I thought The Burning was excellent and Demonium really silly but fun at the same time (no doubt some will disagree with that!)
You should give Trick R Treat a viewing if you get the time, Loops. It's a great film (although slighly overrated IMO) - definetly a horror film to watch annually on the 31st of October! No question about it!

Watched another cannibal film last night; Umberto Lenzi's Eaten Alive. Compared to the likes of Deodato's cannibal films this is, I felt, a much more lighter film (possibly due to the darkness and grimness that Deodato's films focus on), besides the too-be-expected animal cruelty, there's nothing else that was too shocking really. The story was quite a bit different as well, with it not focusing purely on the cannibal tribes, but an over religious group as well. The stars in this film are great namely Ivan Rossimov, the excellent Robert Kerman and of course Ratman's Janet Agren.

The biggest problem with the film was the amount of footage it 'borrows' from other cannibal films, including [spoiler] steeling Me Me Lai's death infamous death scene from Jungle Holocaust and some animal killings and castration from Mountain Of The Cannibal God [/spoiler] But then again, I guess that's all part of exploitation films! I luv how one of the stolen scenes shown in the trailer in played as the intertitles 'Directed by Umberto Lenzi' come up! In this sense, I guess you could call it the Hell Of The Living Dead of cannibal films.

The ending was pretty cool too, with, on the one hand, [spoiler] the religious tribe being tricked into mass suicide [/spoiler] to the much more frankly strangly optimistic [spoiler] ending with Kerman not bothering that he risked his life for nothing - money wise [/spoiler] which was bizarrly cool!

Still I'll highly recommend this film, it's a lot of fun, mixed with (always) disturbing animal violence (that poor monkey!) and annoying accents from the two female leads.

Thing I learnt from this film: Poka dotted cannibals are all the rage, darling.

Oooooh spoiler boxes! Fancy!
Old 7th January 2010, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'll check it out then.

Eaten Alive is so much fun (aside from the monkey), its one of the few cannibal films I can revisit more than once.

Lenzi also used footage from his own Deep River Savages!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 7th January 2010, 08:47 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Ooooooh yeah! Wasn't the music used in Cannibal Ferox too mate? I could swear it was!
Old 7th January 2010, 10:56 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
Watched another cannibal film last night; Umberto Lenzi's Eaten Alive.

The biggest problem with the film was the amount of footage it 'borrows' from other cannibal films
Yes it liberally borrowed footage from 3 previous cannibal films and wove a wafer-thin feeble story around them to hold it in place. Even trying to bring in elements of the recent Guyana/Jonestown massacre to make itself seem like an 'important' film.

Personally I thought it was cheap, abysmal rubbish.
Old 8th January 2010, 03:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

TICK R TREAT suffered due to all the hype about the movie but it's still a fun movie and yes it is definitely one to pull out each year around Halloween.
Old 8th January 2010, 07:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm still waiting for Lovefilm to send me my rental of Trick R Treat.

Bodyguard: A New Beginning - A cliché filled gangster film with some cool fighting and brutal violence. A lot of this is more about character than the action and the pacing is sometimes slow but Richard Ng, better known for his comic roles is quite impressive playing it straight as the old triad boss who gets betrayed by his son. I believe this is a HK/Brit co production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bodyguard A New Beginning.jpg (8.6 KB, 3 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 8th January 2010, 10:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Richard Ng is a personal fave of mine! Loved him in Young and Dangerous - among many others!

Like this? Share it using the links below!