Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2015, 08:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Beneath the planet of the apes

Not as good as the first but in some ways I enjoy this more . We only see Heston at the begining and the end the story this time evolves around another unfortunate astronaut to crash land on the planet of the apes and a group a mutant humans who worship a nuclear bomb. 8/10

The explorers

An enjoyable joe Dante film about a group of boys( including a young river Phoenix and Ethan hawke ) that build a spacecraft and set off into outer space, through strange dreams that they share. 7.5/10

Dracula (1958)

The first and still the best of the hammer dracula's. Greats job has been done on the restoration, only downside it's over before it begins. 9.5/10

Now watching the whip and the body, can someone tell me why Lee has been dubbed it's a little off putting. After that might watch one of the most bonkers and confusing movies I have seen the visitor and see if I can make any more sense of the plot this time around
If I remember correctly, it goes into Lee's dubbing in the quite good making of extra feature in Odeon's release, shame about the actual transfer of the main feature.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Dracula (1958)

The first and still the best of the hammer dracula's. Greats job has been done on the restoration, only downside it's over before it begins. 9.5/10
Sounds like you watched the trailer Treb.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The French Connection 2

5/10.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:30 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
The French Connection 2

5/10.
What did you think of the first one.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
What did you think of the first one.
9/10

As soon as the score kicked in for the second one i knew I wasn't going to like it as much as the first one and once it got to the part where Doyle is fighting his addiction from getting injected to the police cell the pace just completely got destroyed and i couldn't finish it!
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th April 2015, 11:22 PM
Cult Addict

The first one took me 3 attempts. First twice i feel asleep. Third time i watched it in a Sunday afternoon and loved it.
Old 7th April 2015, 06:34 AM
Cult Master

Yeah the second one is no where near as good as the first it has some good point but overall it's not one I would revisit often.
Buboven likes this.
Old 7th April 2015, 09:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Tenebrae - 1982;

Haven't watched an Argento flick in ages, so I put that right last night. My personal favourite remains "Suspiria", but I decided to give the Tenebrae re-mastered Blu edition from Arrow a spin. Reviews elsewhere had said that this particular release from the mostly reliable, Arrow Video, featured a first class transfer; and they were absolutely spot on.

The entire movie was a joy to watch. I just could not take my eyes off the screen. Hard to believe this movie is over thirty years old. One of the best releases yet from Arrow, in terms of PQ. Checked out all the extras, with the exception of the two commentaries. Great interviews with Nicolodi, Argento and Simonetti from the late and great, Goblin.

Take a bow Arrow!
Old 7th April 2015, 10:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Rewatch of Leon on Blu

One of those extremely rare films I can easily watch over and over again. Noticed Mathilda's awesome Roy Lichtenstein trousers this time. Wish I could give an extra half star for that. And as ever, the ending never fails to move me.

I think we will always be alright Mathilda and Leon.

10/10

keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 7th April 2015, 12:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) * * * ½
After so many years, this masterpiece (part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in NYC) is still compelling and powerful. Although (or maybe because?) most of the violence and menace is not shown explicitly, the ubiquitous ghastly atmosphere and Daniel Pearl’s skilful cinematography make this Hooper-directed flick a prime example of successful low budget filmmaking. Highly recommended.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2 (1986) * * *
Apart from a few characters (including Leatherface) and some basic ingredients (e.g. chainsaws), this sequel, once more directed by Tobe Hooper, has not very much to do with the original film. It’s an outright disgusting and totally silly Horror film spoof with lots of gory moments and just as many laughs. This is probably not to everybody’s taste, but definitely right up my alley.

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) * ½
This remake of Craven’s 1977 original is a great disappointment. Director Alexandre Aja created a lifeless cardboard replica without any originality. The names of most characters, several individual scenes, bits and pieces of dialogue, clichés – apart from the remake's very own appalling carnage at the ‘ghost town’, this is (co-producer) Craven’s film transferred to 2006. Skip this film and watch the original instead; it’s far from being perfect and its ‘mutants’ are mostly funny instead of frightening, but at least you are spared the preposterous anti-nuclear propaganda of this failed remake. Half a star for the quirky gas station attendant.

Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (1990) * * ½
After the first sequel’s comedic approach, the franchise’s producers wanted the third part to be a merciless Horror film again, but with more gore and violence than the original. However, this did not happen. Wishy-washy financial backers, the MPAA, and to some extent the hair-raising pre-production turned the shooting of this film into a mess. After countless cuts, the final R-rated version was a box office bomb. Luckily, in 2003 the uncut original version was used for the home video re-release. Despite its problematic production, the film is surprisingly good. Convincing gore, lots of totally absurd scenes, quite a bit of action, and a badass Ken Foree make this sick film quite enjoyable. Much better than expected.

Graduation Day (1981) * *
Apart from a few editing and soundtrack experiments (including a pretty neat opening sequence), this is pretty much a standard Slasher film. Most of the genre’s weaknesses (silly dialogues, foreseeable plot) and strengths (cheesiness, inventive murders) can be found in Graduation Day. Unfortunately, the film drags on quite a bit. It’s by no means unwatchable, though, especially as it stars Christopher George - always a plus in my book.

Like this? Share it using the links below!