Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179015Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2015, 01:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
That is a great film! i love H.S.T, he was a great writer.
I love his work too. But at college it was kind of the goto film while getting stoned. God that was a big mistake on my part
Vipp likes this.
Old 16th April 2015, 01:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I have the same disc. Odd wee thing isn't it?

AAnyway....Watched Eclipse (David Slade, 2010). Or tried to. Why might you ask?? My next blog will answer all cough.......

American Gothic (1987, John Hough). Hey, let's go on holiday......While this has been reviewed elsewhere, I felt I had to put in my tuppence worth....Mama Munster and Mr Joyboy have three "kids". They have been brought up "proper". Tough luck on the hapless group who make a forced landing on their island then......Somewhat thematically linked with The Slayer (features someone recently traumatised and in no shape to go on a break imo), this is an oddity, played straight mostly, as modernity comes a poor second to the good, old gawd fearing ways of the 20s.Still don't see why it had to have an 18 rating though....unlike....

Witchcraft (Fabrizio Laurenti, 1988?). The Hoff as a free spririted photographer? Linda Blair encased in maternity wear? It must be Witchery!! Interesting to watched in this multi media age, as a disparate group are stranded on a island due to foul play. so with nae GPS or iWombs in sight, they are literally stranded. Sadly so is this film, straddling betwixt all out gore (lips sewn together in close up ouch!) and a non existant atmosphere of "otherworldiness". Reminds me of various 80 AOR videos. Don't ask why.
Blog now up....don't judge me too harshly cough...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th April 2015, 01:58 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Took my new Cannibal Holocaust blu up to my cave last night for a quick browse of the quality and features. Was already gone midnight but i ended up watching the whole film. Brilliant, I'd only seen it twice prior on an old poor vipco dvd and then the Australian Deluxe dvd. The transfer on the Grindhouse Release blew me away and really improved the film for me.
That said am i the only one that doesn't find this film aywhere near as shocking as its rep suggests?
When I watch these films I try put myself in the era they were released and see it through the eyes of someone watching it then. By today's standards it make appear tame but when this was released first I'm sure it was horrifying to people.Very little shocks now because we are used to seeing death on the news and internet.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th April 2015, 04:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
When I watch these films I try put myself in the era they were released and see it through the eyes of someone watching it then. By today's standards it make appear tame but when this was released first I'm sure it was horrifying to people.Very little shocks now because we are used to seeing death on the news and internet.
Wasn't this Deodato's reason for the film in the first place?
Personally there is still something unpleasant about the film for me, which was the point I believe. Just saying!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th April 2015, 04:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Wasn't this Deodato's reason for the film in the first place?
Personally there is still something unpleasant about the film for me, which was the point I believe. Just saying!
Now that I think of it that was exactly the point of the film

I was just trying to to make the point and badly I might add that I understand people watching it now for the first time may not be shocked by it because of how modern society is. The film is no walk in the park and still gives me a grimy feel.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th April 2015, 04:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Now that I think of it that was exactly the point of the film

I was just trying to to make the point and badly I might add that I understand people watching it now for the first time may not be shocked by it because of how modern society is. The film is no walk in the park and still gives me a grimy feel.
I can only retell the tale of when a mate appeared at my door clutching CH. Which he had never seen. Obligingly I stuck it into the VHS player, and off we went.....about the time of the turtle scene, another mate turned up....eating a hamburger....since I had stopped the tape for the interruption, I went to make another brew, and then stuck the film on again...now I've heard people say that they've gone "green" at something unpleasant...but this genuinely made him change colour, though he didn't rush to the toilet or anything spectacular....after it had finished I then stuck on Targets (1968)..which has quite a nasty opening scene....to which hamburger matey said "don't you have any nice films?"

Something that still makes me laugh to this day.

[B]
Old 16th April 2015, 05:01 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
I can only retell the tale of when a mate appeared at my door clutching CH. Which he had never seen. Obligingly I stuck it into the VHS player, and off we went.....about the time of the turtle scene, another mate turned up....eating a hamburger....since I had stopped the tape for the interruption, I went to make another brew, and then stuck the film on again...now I've heard people say that they've gone "green" at something unpleasant...but this genuinely made him change colour, though he didn't rush to the toilet or anything spectacular....after it had finished I then stuck on Targets (1968)..which has quite a nasty opening scene....to which hamburger matey said "don't you have any nice films?"

Something that still makes me laugh to this day.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 16th April 2015, 09:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Late Phases (2014)

Well this was a surprise!

A very original and dare say it, profound, take on the werewolf film. Great acting by a very complex and interesting main character.

In fact I think this has become my fav werewolf film ever, I would defo recommend other members on this forum check this one out.

9/10.

So annoyed that there doesn't appear to be a Region 2 blu of this, only a DVD. Seems that this happens to so many other great and not so great recent horror films!

Last edited by Buboven; 16th April 2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 16th April 2015, 10:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Signal - (Won this dvd from Cult Labs recently)
A bunch of mates hack into various government agencies but are constantly chased by a user called 'Nomad' no matter how fast these guys manage to hack a place 'Nomad' is waiting and usually with a photo of them on thier laptops doing the hacking... well 'Nomad' gives them coordinates and tells them to meet him/her and things go a little wrong. they meet at a house at night time, the house is very much like the house in 'The blair witch' it's dark and the two male friends go into the home only to hear thier third friend (the girl) scream, they race through the darkness to get back to the car just in time to see her body fly vertically up into the night sky...

The three actors are young but can act, i blooming ditest young actors that have no idea that acting is more that a symetrical face, orange skin and a well maintained phisique. but these guys do a great job, the movie is matched very nicly with a super stylish soundtrack, it reminded me of a band called the antlers, sort of classical music but modern in style, very nice indeed, then laurence fishburne turns up and makes the movie double in awesomeness.

in short the film is about aliens, our three have been abducted and wake up in quarenteen, fishburne is a detective trying to work out where they have been but all is not what it seems. are they on earth and in quarenteen or are they still with little green men pretending to be agents?

Watch this movie is you enjoy sci-fi along the lines of The Maze Runners and the Hunger Games. Nothing major here folks but even hardened Sci-Fi film fans may not see the twist at the end of this flick. highly reccomended for a sunday afternoon watch.

The Great Outdoors (Netflix UK)
I love John Candy and don;t mind Dan Aykroid so i thought this would be a good flick but man i was wrong. Terrible editing and a deperate attempt to condense a john hughes style story arc and a lampoons comedy into one film. it doesn't work at all. Candy goes on a vacation to find his brother-in-law (Aykroid) has followed him, uninvited of course. Candy bites his lip and puts up with the terrible disaterous events that his brohter-in-law puts him thourgh untill the pay of at the end of the film when candy tells him where to stick it. mean while a tedious and sometimes risky love story 'of sorts' begins between the oldes son and a town girl. it seem massily innapropriate and some of the situations they have the young actress in are questionalble in todays society.

avoid it, Candy has better to offer and the film is dull and sometimes offensive.
Old 17th April 2015, 12:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fathers day.
Everything about this film was rubbish, the film, acting, dialogue, but after all what do you expect from Troma, so bad their good but at times you cant decide if you like or disliked it. After all if you go into a troma film expecting anything more then clearly your dillusional and dont know much about Troma films. The way the film was made and the feel of it and tones of colour would give you the expressions it was a 80s throw back and not something thats been made quite recentish. But certain parts made you feel like you was watching. Another one of the A U films
Troma have made so many films and have a cult statues im actual surprised there isnt a channel on sky dedicated to just troma films etc.
keirarts, trebor8273, Vipp and 1 others like this.

Last edited by gag; 17th April 2015 at 12:48 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!