Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2015, 08:28 PM
Cult Addict

If thats how you feel about the first one (i love it by the way) then i wouldn't even bother with the sequel, its utter poo.
Old 27th May 2015, 08:35 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Schalcken the Painter (1979)

Based on the 1839 story "Strange Event in the Life of Schalken the Painter" by Sheridan Le Fanu.

In the vein of the classic Ghost Stories for Christmas this creepy little slowburning tale which went out on the 23rd December is perhaps more a study of the Dutch masters thanks to Charles Gray's narration than it is a ghostly spectacular.

Having said that the ghost, if it is indeed a ghost, is a deathly presence which has a shocking, ghastly face that sticks in the memory long after the credits have rolled. Directed by Leslie Megahey, the production is beautifully filmed and the horrifying final encounter is classic twisted Gothic material.

This was a second viewing for me and it's a film that's getting better all the time.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Th0R5jEAL._SY300_.jpg (17.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 27th May 2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 27th May 2015, 08:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
If thats how you feel about the first one (i love it by the way) then i wouldn't even bother with the sequel, its utter poo.
The car chase in Paris was brilliant.

Can't remember a thing about the sequel...only saw it in December as well.
J Harker likes this.
Old 27th May 2015, 08:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Missus JK is watching it now....Me...about to go upstairs to watch ep 4 of 12 Monkeys.
Old 27th May 2015, 10:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The car chase in Paris was brilliant.

Can't remember a thing about the sequel...only saw it in December as well.
The sequel is the oddest sort of film. Its pretty much non stop action all the way. And yet completely boring.
Old 27th May 2015, 11:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Other (1972)

A horror film from the director of To Kill a Mockingbird, that at first appears to be too pleasant to considered as one, much to do with the beautiful scenery, 1930's rural setting and how it is shot, but which very much eerily and slowly builds to a very disturbing third act (There is certainly one image in the last ten minutes which will stay with me for a long while). Crucially it does it in an effective a way so as to make the tranquil, dreamlike feel of the first act seem even more disturbing, like a cruel reverse of one of Leatherface's masks.

Definitely recommended. Certainly one of my best blind buys.

8/10.
Old 28th May 2015, 07:26 AM
Cult Addict

Human centipede 3

Dieter Laser plays prison warden Bill boss. Bill spends a lot of time in his office ranting about medieval torture, in-between sexually harassing and assaulting his secretary Daisy played by Bree Olsen. He also enjoys chewing on clitorises he keeps in a jar declaring "god bless Africa, God bless female circumcision". When he's not ranting and being a c*** in his office Bill heads down to spend quality time with his inmates, breaking arms, waterboarding with boiling water and a lot of general Racial abuse directed to pretty much every race, creed and religion imaginable. Part of the reason he's so uptight is that his inmates keep threatening to rape him, however its a chicken and egg situation as if I was in Prison under this a******* then I'd probably want to inflict some pain as well. Bills getting especially agitated after discovering that castrating his inmates does little to subdue them. Plagued by nightmares of being raped in the kidneys (no, really) he takes to wandering the prison with an assault rifle and a bottle of cheap bourbon ranting about things like feeding pork to Jews and covering arachnophobes in deadly spiders. To make matters worse the governor, played by eric roberts might fire him, though god knows why!
His accountant Dwight Butler, played by Laurence R. Harvey is getting agitated. He's seen Human Centipede 1 & 2 and thinks its a great idea for getting the prison under control. Bill thinks otherwise and gets incredibly angry when he finds Dwight has invited the director tom six to visit. However he eventually decides to go ahead, telling the entire prison his plans and causing a full blown riot. Once things are back under control then the creation of the centipede begins.
It's really hard to adequately put across how outright vile and sleazy this film is, the sets are cheap and look like 70's BBC sets, the acting from laser is totally OTT and insane, as if someone had been spoon feeding him coke off screen before takes. The closest in tone and quality I can equate this to is the really, really cheaper end of the Italian Nazi death camp films combined with some really vile and outrageous comedy. This is one that will either see a release uncut or be banned. Given reactions elsewhere I doubt many will care. Perhaps however, I'm some kind of sick degenerate bastard as I actually enjoyed it. Dont watch it with friends or family, theres stuff to offend almost everyone from s*** eating, rape of comatose rape victims and more racism than I could imagine possible. Plus we get to see Dieter laser in a prison tower naked and screaming.
Old 28th May 2015, 08:51 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The sequel is the oddest sort of film. Its pretty much non stop action all the way. And yet completely boring.
That is the worst kind of boring. Being slightly distracted when watching (for example) a quiet, philosophical, black-and-white Swedish film is understandable – I've found my mind wandering when there are quiet periods in films like that – but when balls to the wall action is tedious and dull, you know the director has failed spectacularly.
Old 28th May 2015, 09:02 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Human centipede 3

This is one that will either see a release uncut or be banned. Given reactions elsewhere I doubt many will care. Perhaps however, I'm some kind of sick degenerate bastard as I actually enjoyed it. Dont watch it with friends or family, theres stuff to offend almost everyone from s*** eating, rape of comatose rape victims and more racism than I could imagine possible. Plus we get to see Dieter laser in a prison tower naked and screaming.
It was passed uncut by the BBFC.

THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE III (FINAL SEQUENCE) | British Board of Film Classification
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th May 2015, 09:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
S.O.L.D.

Ahem.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!