Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2015, 10:02 AM
Cult Addict

Bird first, then Flies and lastly Cat for me.
keirarts and choptop like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 1st June 2015, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Bird first, then Flies and lastly Cat for me.
Same for me too.
nosferatu42 and choptop like this.
Old 1st June 2015, 10:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cthulhu, I'm bored. Hand nearly up to scratch, but am nae taking any chances yet ahem.....

Twixt (2011, Coppola!!!)
A hard drinking novelist finds a lack of interest in his latest tome...but picks up collaborators in the shape of E A Poe and the local sherrif. This is the same man who gave us The Conversation??? ODDITY. See for yourselves, as THC will nae doubt repeat it.....

See No Evil (Gregory Dark, 2005)
Stupid stupid stupid Lionsgate drivel. Twist ending telegraphed at beginning cough. Wrestlers in films??? Give me strength......excluding Roddy Piper natch.

Fast & Furious 7 (James Wan, 2015)
Stafam playing a villain? At this stage?? I viewed this in the aftermath of rereeading JG Ballard's Crash, therefore I spent the film imagining the Diesel and The Rock locked in a sweaty embrace. Just saying!!!

Next up......The Human Centipede 3. Line up to see what I thought...you'll be surprised...or maybe you won't

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st June 2015, 10:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

And they totally waste having Tony Jaa in F&F7 btw!!!
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st June 2015, 10:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Tod Browning's 'Dracula', and William Peter Blatty's 'Exorcist III', both great movies and both looked very decent in HD.
Demoncrat, keirarts, Vipp and 1 others like this.
Old 1st June 2015, 12:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choptop View Post
Had the pleasure of watching the bird with the crystal plumage for the first time, and I quite enjoyed it. I prefer it over Cat O nine tails and look forward to watching Four Flies on Grey Velvet, in order to complete Argentos Animal trilogy.

Whats your favorite of the trilogy?
Bird is my favourite Argento. Though I've only watched a few of his films.
Old 1st June 2015, 07:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Warlock III: The End of Innocence (1999)

When a young woman, Ashley Lawrence, inherits a mansion she never knew existed she goes to check it out with a few friends and all hell breaks loose in an orgy of bad effects, worse acting, witchcraft and S&M.

The entertaining Bruce Payne replaces Julian Sands as the Warlock, and produces a performance streaked with so much ham i'm sure you can hear him grunt from time to time. From the rest of the cast Ashley Lawrence always makes for an appealing heroine and former Playmate Angel Boris adds even more sex appeal.

Hidden amidst all the nonsense is a quietly effective Gothic horror hidden deep in the film which occasionally breaks through onto the screen, mainly in the first third, with one or two decidedly creepy sequences. All this gives way in the final third though to dodgy effects and an often charming daftness.

Whilst this second sequel isn't a patch on the Richard E Grant led cult film from the 80's, it's still a lot of fun and quite gory with it, especially if your willing to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy it for what it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warlock_III_-_The_End_of_Innocence_(1999).jpg (85.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 2nd June 2015, 01:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

You lost me at Bruce Payne

.......and

The Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence (Tom Six, 2014)

If I wanted to be shouted at for over a hour, I'd listen to Crass' Yes Sir, I Will.
Udo Kier is the very model of restraint compared to Laser's "performance".
Eric Roberts looks like he wandered in from a shampoo commercial.
Burroughs did the centipede schtick far more effectively anyhow.
Still say it should have been 3D........

Black Magic (1975, Ho Meng-hua) Image US dvd.

"love, exciting and new...come aboard, we'll be cursing yooooou!"
Ahem.
The Shaw Brothers 1st attempt at a horror film since their earlier vampire tale, which I've forgotten the name of, this ain't Super Infra Man! A scheming widow desires young and reckless engineer, he is betrothed to another sadly. A gigolo has his own eye on said griever, so naturally he speaks to a sorceror, who shortchanged him spellwise as he reckons him untrustworthy!! After cursing the gigolo for nonpayment, the widow decides to see if he can work his magic on the engineer......keeping up?? Well, noo you're on yer own as I aint giving away the ending

Quite the hoot, now I have to get this sequel, which is even madder by all accounts!!

[B]
Old 2nd June 2015, 02:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Quite the hoot, now I have to get this sequel, which is even madder by all accounts!!
It is indeed... I prefer it to the first installment.
Old 2nd June 2015, 04:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Dark Skies – UK Netflix
What a shocker! An alien flick that managed to deliver the goods, I have been scarred with films like ‘Signs’ which I enjoyed but in the same way I can enjoy looking at a food menu, it’s not really truly worthwhile unless you’re in the restaurant and know that the food is cooking… but then sometimes the chef is crap… But I enjoyed this little venture into the world of ‘visiting aliums’ my only wish is that the walkey talkie at the end could be edited out to make the piece solid and leaving the audience with a handful of unresolved questions.

Frailty – USA region free Blu-Ray
Forum member Keirarts has written a superb review of this film that you can read The Cult Labs Members' Review Club, so i won’t try to do that but after watching the film I can say he is right, it seems it hasn’t quite found it’s cult following yet and very much deserves one. Now I have experience in ‘Unreliable narrator’ narrative I can look for more films like this. My only dig at the movie would be the finale, I wish it had a slightly altered ending, however I’m looking forward to re watching it and Paxton is fantastic as are the young male actors who all do a fantastic job.

When the wind blows – PAL/DVD
I have been meaning to watch this animation for years, it was fantastic. The film is quite short but gives us all a great idea of just exactly where we would stand in our government’s eyes IF there was a nuclear bomb attack on the UK. If you like anti-government/anti-war stories this will be right up your street.

Paranorman – PAL/DVD
A great animation from the makers of Coraline (I think) it has an original story/plot twist and has a lot of comedy for adults and youngsters alike. Enjoyed the film and will watch it again sometime. Watch this if you liked The Boxtrollz.

The Passion of Joan of Arc – Eureka Films - PAL/Blu-Ray
I had been wanting to watch this film for a very long time and Fopp had it for £10 so I grabbed it. It hasn’t changed my life nor do I think it’s one of the best films ever made ever but I enjoyed watching it with both musical accompaniments that came on the special addition Blu. It seems to be based on actual court documents so it’s incredible to see what Joan may have been like but ultimately she died by burning at the stake because she believed God spoke to her directly and as a non-theist I can’t help but think, she wouldn’t have been famous had she told the truth. The final act is shocking but in this day in age it’s hardly offensive anymore. I don’t know if I will keep hold of the film if I’m honest.

Braveheart – PAL/Blu-Ray
My other half loves this film so we picked up the blu-ray for £5 at asda. It’s not my cup of tea but it looked and sounded good.

Like this? Share it using the links below!