Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179412Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:19 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Ooh thanks Nord, i didn't realise that. Dunno why, sure I'd read somewhere some of the films were locked.
I think the special features DVD is region locked the Blu Rays are region free.
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:25 PM
Cult Addict

Cool my blu player plays region 1 dvds. Not blu rays though.
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:30 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Cool my blu player plays region 1 dvds. Not blu rays though.
They were made for each other
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:48 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
They were made for each other
Sorry not region A blus!
Old 23rd June 2015, 06:28 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Sorry not region A blus!
It will play the region free blu rays an the region 1 DVD so you will be able to rnjoy the whole set.
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Oculus: another film (like the Babadook) that had come highly recommended from online hype and reviews that was a major letdown.
Think I'll stick to Poundland specials, at least they're so bad they're good!
5/10
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:35 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
And i'm enjoying reading the fruits of your efforts.
As am I.

Great review of Angst by the way, Frankie. It's a film that has a strange duality to it what with being visceral and mean yet also contemplative and almost serene in how it utilises various cinematic effect to peer into the life of our atagonist when he is not viciously killing or raping. As you pointed out, there is also a bizarre vein of comedy running beneath the surface of the proceedings and like you, despite the despair Angst exhumes, I also find it to be not as bleak a film overall as it would first appear on paper. It's also one that I really need to revisit soon hopefully in the form of the upcoming Cult Epics Blu-ray (released August this year I believe).
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:37 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Oculus: another film (like the Babadook) that had come highly recommended from online hype and reviews that was a major letdown.
Think I'll stick to Poundland specials, at least they're so bad they're good!
5/10
I recently watched Oculus and actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought I would - I do enjoy a bit of supernatural/demonic mind-****ery though. Still, I do find that a lot of these type of films rarely live up to their potential so my initial bar is more often than not set fairly low.
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:59 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
But then again, I don't find 'Combat Shock' to be all that bleak either. Yeah the events it shows are, objectively, depressing on any human level, but it just doesn't get there atmospherically. Like, having a really crummy eighties synth tune bouncing away in the background during that bit with the dole queue. Things like that I find a bit undermining. I'm being picky and / or desensitised. I do really rate 'Combat Shock' actually. But again, I tend to respond to atmosphere a lot more than I do narrative events, if that makes sense? So conversely there are loads of films which aren't particularly harrowing in terms of the events they show or the stories they tell, but which really get under my skin.
I know what you mean about the competency of the film making undermining the on-screen events that, at least for me, it is unrelentingly bleak and downbeat with some genuinely shocking moments – particularly at the end. However, as you pointed out, the strange score and technical shortcomings undermine the overall effect.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 23rd June 2015, 08:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I recently watched Oculus and actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought I would - I do enjoy a bit of supernatural/demonic mind-****ery though. Still, I do find that a lot of these type of films rarely live up to their potential so my initial bar is more often than not set fairly low.
I went in knowing little about it, apart from the fact that it was really good and really scary, neither of which it lived up to IMO. It's well made and everything, but it just lacked something for me and didn't stand up against films like Insidious, The Conjuring and Sinister, which I really like.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!