Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2015, 01:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Awesome stuff, fuzzy. These are my (brief) thoughts on the ones I've seen, and a couple of the ones I haven't:

We're The Millers
I recorded this from Sky Movies and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

Citizen Toxie
Easily my favourite of the Toxic Avenger sequels because, as you said, it is so politically incorrect and out there. The commentary by Lloyd Kaufman is superb and definitely worth a listen.

Inherent Vice
I'm a huge fan of Paul Thomas Anderson and I don't even think this was at the cinema (Cineworld), so I missed it. I have bought it on Blu-ray so I'm really looking forward to watching that.

Focus
Your write-up was interesting as most reviews I saw dismissed it as silly, implausible rubbish, so I'd love to add it to my Lovefilm rental queue, but it's not available.

Faust: Love of the Damned
It's been far too long since I watched the films in the Fantastic Factory Presents boxset, but I quite remember enjoying this, so will give it another watch over the weekend.

Princess
Sounds great, and also now trying to find it at Lovefilm or on Netflix.

Turkey Shoot
Like other 'Ozsploitation' films, I really like this one and should watch it much more frequently than I do.
Toxic Avenger 2 just beats out Citizen for me, primarily because of the fantastic Japan scenes.

Inherent Vice and Princess are well worth watching if you can get the chance, and Focus is definitely worth a rent, not sure about a purchase.

I do wish there were a lot more nice editions out there of Ozploitation films. The blu rays so far all seem to have at least one thing wrong with them from memory, from colour timing, being a bonus feature on a remake, 1080i, or barebones.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 25th June 2015, 02:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I found Princess, so that's now high priority in my Lovefilm queue.

I went to the cinema twice this week to watch Jurassic World, which was pretty good, certainly no where near as good as the original Jurassic Park, but much better than I feared it would be. It was a shame the children were such 'cardboard cut out' characters and the narrative arc involving their relationship, and their relationship with their aunt was so telegraphed early on – you knew what was going to happen in terms of the character dynamics.

I did like the idea of building the lack of 'shock value' of dinosaurs into the plot, so creating a new dinosaur was essential for the audience at the theme park and the viewing audience because, as they said, seeing a dinosaur is now like seeing an elephant at the zoo. There was a lot of good stuff in the film, but the whole part with Bryce Dallas Howard running around in high heels – including outrunning a large carnivorous dinosaur – was even more preposterous than the idea of bringing dinosaurs back from extinction!

I went back that evening to watch The Terminator, which was great until just after Kyle Reese appeared and then then there was a power cut – perhaps it was the electrical charge from the teleportation – which knocked out the projectors and meant the main lights (which must be on a different circuit) came on and the whole cinema was evacuated. It was a one off showing, but I hope Cineworld repeat it at some point in the future because there was a massive audience.
Old 25th June 2015, 03:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

VAULT OF HORROR
Amicus multi - tale flick featuring many familiar faces from 70s film and tv. Regarded as a step down from the excellent TALES FROM THE CRYPT, this is actually a lot more enjoyable than I remember from all those years ago, particularly as we are now able to finally see the full uncut version on US Blu ray.

X RAY
Barbi Benton stars as a woman trapped in a hospital, which is being plagued by a series of gruesome murders carried out by someone in a surgeon's outfit. But who is the killer and why is someone so desperate to keep her from escaping?
I always thought this was one of the more entertaining slashers, with the eerie hospital setting, surreal moments and excellent soundtrack. My favourite of 88 Films slasher releases so far.
Old 25th June 2015, 03:21 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

X RAY
Barbi Benton stars as a woman trapped in a hospital, which is being plagued by a series of gruesome murders carried out by someone in a surgeon's outfit. But who is the killer and why is someone so desperate to keep her from escaping?
I always thought this was one of the more entertaining slashers, with the eerie hospital setting, surreal moments and excellent soundtrack. My favourite of 88 Films slasher releases so far.
I can't decide whether or not to buy it, I very almost did and then I read on the cover it was a Cannon film and I thought again haha! Especially after watching the recent documentary film about Cannon Films

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th June 2015, 03:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I can't decide whether or not to buy it, I very almost did and then I read on the cover it was a Cannon film and I thought again haha! Especially after watching the recent documentary film about Cannon Films
It is a Cannon Film, a Golan-Globus production.
Old 25th June 2015, 03:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Some excellent reviews today guys.

Good work.
Old 25th June 2015, 05:30 PM
Active Cultist

Gonna be watching unrated Pray for Death tonight, so it's gonna be some ass kicking, throwing stars and nunchakus with Shô Kosugi against some mean gangsters.'80's B-movie heaven, better than any Cannon effort.
Old 27th June 2015, 10:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Red Sun (1971)

'When East Meets West, there's gonna' be one hell of a mess' - So goes the chorus to the song East Meets West from 80's German metal band Warlock.

True to the lyrics there really is a mess, blood shed wise, when Toshiro Mifune's Samurai hooks up with Charles Bronson's outlaw and Ursula Andress's hooker as they go in search of gang leader Alain Delon.

As well as culture clashes the mismatched trio clash with Comanches in some brutal battles in this thoroughly entertaining western. The film is on the whole set on location and boasts some innovative cinematography and settings together with nicely realized action sequences.

Delon isn't in the film that much but proves charismatic when on screen, and Andress is there largely as eye candy but the real highlight is the match up between one of The Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven. Both Bronson and Mifune own the screen and their sparring is a joy to behold.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 936full-red-sun-poster.jpg (100.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 27th June 2015, 10:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Soylent Green (1973)

9/10.

I may not agree with his political leanings but damn was Heston a fine actor in his day.

Now one of my fav sci-fi's.
Old 27th June 2015, 11:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Soylent Green (1973)

9/10.

I may not agree with his political leanings but damn was Heston a fine actor in his day.

Now one of my fav sci-fi's.
Add this to The Omega Man and Planet of the Apes and he has one hell of sci-fi CV.
g053584398, keirarts and Buboven like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!