Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2015, 09:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE – The remake. The original ISOYG was a memorably nasty piece of exploitation which bludgeoned viewers with its 'double dehumanization', featuring rape-as-spectacle, then the reconstitution of victim of said rape as unstoppable killing machine. A strange film as well, in that you couldn't argue that it wasn't misogynistic in a sneeringly opportunistic kind of way, although at the same time you could sort of see it sitting in Valerie Solanas's video collection (none other then Julie Bindel partially defended it against sanitised Hollywood accounts of rape and reparation a la 'The Accused'). I always feel uneasy about 'revenge' dynamics in films – whatever injustice they tackle, they always seem to play on Daily Mail type fantasies. The remake of ISOYG is perhaps similar to the 'Last House On The Left' refurb, both being much slicker renderings of yesterday's viciousness which ratchet up the gore whilst jettisoning the (accidentally, cos of budget, incompetence etc etc) raw approach of the old stuff. Difference being, whilst the remake of LHOTL was for the most part less nihilistic, ISOYG 2010 seems every bit as uncomfortable to watch as the original. Principally this is because of the rape scene, which is extremely long and drawn out, and arrives only after an endless stretch of equally daunting verbal and emotional humiliation. As in the original, a mentally handicapped man is forced into the proceedings. If that's not bleak, I don't know what is (apart from vicious rape). The inevitable switch occurs, and before long the female lead is back for vengeance, which is delivered in a pretty gruesome manner – we witness fish hooks through eye lids, facial makeovers via bleach, a shotgun enema. The film seems to blare “they had it coming to them” at us, but how often are those words uttered in other, far creepier contexts? Those circular, rage driven dynamics coming home to roost, as always. Someone's got to pay. We can't always count on cinema giving us sober analyses of why this kind of thing happens and why the system produces rapists, then fails the women they attack. And well, it wouldn't be much of an exploitation film if the lead character went off and became a feminist crusader fighting sexual inequality and its structural antecedents instead of violently murdering her persecutors, and on this score ISOYG 2010 delivers. Like I said, the brutality, the fear and loathing, the in-your-face gore, they're all there in grimly fascinating abundance. So on that level, it hits home and manages to be quite aggravating, especially considering that this is well made, above ground essentially mainstream product. The pacing is off, and the characters are sketchy and poorly drawn, but I doubt that'll deter would be viewers.
Old 29th June 2015, 10:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw the 1960 thriller The Flesh and the Fiends last night, which I've never seen before, and which turned out to actually be pretty damn good on all levels, from production to performances. Based on the real-life Burke and Hare case in the 1800s, it stars Peter Cushing as the Doctor so devoted to his studies of anatomy that he doesn't really give a toss where the corpses he studies come from, and a young(ish) Donald Pleasance giving a very creepy performance as Hare, who turns from grave-robbing to murder without so much as a blink once he realises that the fresher the corpse, the more money he gets paid. It was surprisingly dark and frank for a film of its vintage, and I really rather enjoyed it.
Old 30th June 2015, 05:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

key_art_night_of_the_demons.jpg

Its Halloween night and there are two choices go to the Halloween dance or go to the old abandoned possessed funeral home for a party. The choice is obvious what could possibly go wrong ?

A group of friends decide to give the Halloween dance and miss and be a bit more adventurous and head to a freaky old abandoned funeral home for some beers and a good time. Things get off to a great start with plenty of booze and dancing until the radio stops working and they decide to have a past life séance which just requires a mirror to conduct. While the usual teenage messing about is going on one of the girl sees the face of a demons in the mirror but when she tries to get the attention of her fellow party goers the mirror falls and breaks unleashing the demon into the funeral home.

Night of the Demon is another great fun 80s horror. Every character is an asshole and they are not people you would pick to go to a party with let alone get trapped in a house with a demon in the loose. All the usual suspects are present. The goth chick the jock the overweight prankster the prudish chick the black guy and the slut. Linnea Quigley is the slutty character who spends the majority of the film looking in her mirror and complaining about the lack of hot guys at the party. But where there is is Linnea Quigley there is going to be boobs but this time she dose some unusual things with her boobs well one of them anyway The kills are very entertaining and the make up is very well done and apart from Linnea Quigleys style of acting I found everyone else was pretty solid and played their part pretty well. I cant fault Night Of The Demons on anything it gives me everything I want from gore boobs and a good time.

8/10
Old 30th June 2015, 06:23 PM
Cult Master

slaughterhotel.jpg

Slaughter Hotel takes place in an institute for mentally disturbed women where a killer in on the loose making use of the medieval weapons that decorate the walls. When the patients start getting murdered the police set up a trap to capture the killer but is this the work of a patient of even one of the doctors if so can this trap be a success or just a stumbling block for the blood thirsty killer.

This was my first time seeing Slaughter Hotel and I went in just expecting a straight up Giallo but I was treated to a lot more than that oh yes I was The film starts off pretty slow with long scenes of the women out in the gardens or sitting around smoking and drinking listening to music with the doctors seems rather relaxed until the leather gloved killer starts to stalk the halls at night. I expected just kill after killer some mystery and then the pay off where the killer is revealed and yes that is what happens essentially but I was not prepared for the amount of lesbian action and extreme close ups of female masturbation and when I say extreme close up I mean close up it was like I was watching an episode of extreme through the keyhole and who would live in a house like this well lets take a look inside shall we

I did enjoy Slaughter Hotel it is slow in parts and some parts do drag on a bit like the the dancing and massage scenes with the red haired nurse and the black woman. They did a good job keeping the mystery as to who the killer was until the reveal so overall it is an enjoyable film or maybe all the nudity has clouded my judgement and I need to revisit it again some time just for review purposes I assure you

Film 7/10
Biology Lesson 10/10
Old 30th June 2015, 06:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Excellent reviews, Nordic – I have both of them and they are long overdue another watch.
keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 30th June 2015, 06:35 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Excellent reviews, Nordic – I have both of them and they are long overdue another watch.
Cheers Nos i have such a back log of films i have watched over the past few months that i have to put here could be a long road ahead.
Old 30th June 2015, 06:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 166754

Slaughter Hotel takes place in an institute for mentally disturbed women where a killer in on the loose making use of the medieval weapons that decorate the walls. When the patients start getting murdered the police set up a trap to capture the killer but is this the work of a patient of even one of the doctors if so can this trap be a success or just a stumbling block for the blood thirsty killer.

This was my first time seeing Slaughter Hotel and I went in just expecting a straight up Giallo but I was treated to a lot more than that oh yes I was The film starts off pretty slow with long scenes of the women out in the gardens or sitting around smoking and drinking listening to music with the doctors seems rather relaxed until the leather gloved killer starts to stalk the halls at night. I expected just kill after killer some mystery and then the pay off where the killer is revealed and yes that is what happens essentially but I was not prepared for the amount of lesbian action and extreme close ups of female masturbation and when I say extreme close up I mean close up it was like I was watching an episode of extreme through the keyhole and who would live in a house like this well lets take a look inside shall we

I did enjoy Slaughter Hotel it is slow in parts and some parts do drag on a bit like the the dancing and massage scenes with the red haired nurse and the black woman. They did a good job keeping the mystery as to who the killer was until the reveal so overall it is an enjoyable film or maybe all the nudity has clouded my judgement and I need to revisit it again some time just for review purposes I assure you

Film 7/10
Biology Lesson 10/10
I frankly found it a bit dull, but I really liked the hysterical ending where the killer seems to kill a load of people crammed in the corner of a room in a the space of a few seconds and a couple of bad edits! That's my memory of it, anyway. Wish the rest of it had been as mad, although admittedly Klaus always gives slightly sordid value for money.
Old 30th June 2015, 07:02 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I frankly found it a bit dull, but I really liked the hysterical ending where the killer seems to kill a load of people crammed in the corner of a room in a the space of a few seconds and a couple of bad edits! That's my memory of it, anyway. Wish the rest of it had been as mad, although admittedly Klaus always gives slightly sordid value for money.
A last ditched attempt to raise the body count
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 30th June 2015, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
A last ditched attempt to raise the body count
Too right, they could've done with a bit less of 'saving the best till last'.
Old 30th June 2015, 07:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Gonna watch The Evil of Frankenstein tonight as I am in the mood for a Hamme r film with Cushing but Rigby didn't think much of it in his English Gothic book.

What do u guys think of it?
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!