LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th July 2015, 12:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
Amour and The White Ribbon are both superb, both haunting in completely different ways.
I completely agree – they are both brilliant films.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 4th July 2015, 03:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Re-Cut (2010)

A reality tv star and amateur camera crew are hired to investigate the death of two young girls in their families barn.

A ropy shaky cam movie with reasonable acting but a plot so dull i can barely remember anything about it a mere 16 hours later. The blurb on the art suggests the film is 'Really ****ing creepy'. Well it might be if you've never seen a horror film before. For those of us that have it's a laughable statement. Even a few scenes of torture hardly register above the lifeless plotting and uninteresting doc makers. It's a shame the film concentrated so much on them rather than the mystery of the girls death as that would have improved the film somewhat. However they didn't and it doesn't, making Re-Cut a waste of time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recutbox.jpg (35.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 4th July 2015, 05:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cellar Dweller (1988)

7/10.
Old 4th July 2015, 06:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just finished watching Mortdecai, which I had a very low expectations for, given the critical mauling it received and extent to which it completely failed at the box office. However, I wasn't anticipating the film to be as bad as it was, being a completely humourless affair, horribly directed by David Koepp (best known as the screenwriter for such massive box office films as Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible and Spider-Man) with woeful pacing, a script without any jokes and a cast including Johnny Depp, Gwyneth Paltrow, Paul Bettany, Ewan McGregor and Jeff Goldblum who were all inexplicably terrible.

The whole thing is completely misguided and I was wondering throughout whether the cast knew they were making a complete turkey or were somehow under the impression that the abysmal script and, even by his recent standards, Johnny Depp's absence of physical comedy and weird delivery, was somehow more than passible in a film which is supposed to be a comedy. The screenplay was written by Eric Aronson who, according to the IMDb, has only written the 2001 romantic comedy On the Line (which was also savaged by the critics) and, based on this, his WGA membership should be revoked with immediate effect.

I pretty much only watched it out of morbid curiosity, but it's not even worth your time as 'car crash' entertainment and is 100 minutes of my life I will never get back. Avoid at all costs.
Old 4th July 2015, 06:15 PM
Active Cultist

Rats: Night of Terror!!

Got the old Vipco Screamtime DVD for £1.27 and all i can say is ive paid a lot more for a lot worse just recently.
Old 4th July 2015, 09:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Anybody hear that? It's a, um... It's an impact tremor, that's what it is... I'm fairly alarmed here!"

Jurassic Park (1993) Back in 1993 I got home early from a disastrous week working in Carlisle, that night I offered to take my parents and three of my siblings to see this movie...It cost me £16.50! It was the most expensive movie I had ever paid to see! Now you pay around that just for two....and without drinks and popcorn! Anyway I cranked up the soundbar and let the neighbours think there was a T-Rex on the loose...payback for them holding a birthday party till all hours of the morning!
Old 4th July 2015, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Robbery Under Arms (1957)

A very enjoyable British made, Australian set classic style western based on the novel of the same name about two brothers who join Captain Starlight's bushranger gang.

Starting off quietly the film improves as the story moves along taking in huge cattle drives, gun fights and of course robbery. A fine cast - Peter Finch, Ronald Lewis, David McCallum, Jill Ireland - ensure the acting is comparable to the largely well written script.

The Australian locations look similar to their US and Spanish counterparts and it's only the sight of the odd kangaroo bouncing past that removes it from the Americas and places it firmly in the Outback.

Better than the majority of western b-movies the Hollywood studios churned out, Robbery Under Arms is well worth checking out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91UzlquWmPL._SL1500_.jpg (99.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 4th July 2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 4th July 2015, 11:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Mothman Prophecies (2002)

9/10!

Last edited by Buboven; 5th July 2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 5th July 2015, 12:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quatermass and the Pit (1967). I was rather disappointed by this, especially as it started so well. I really enjoyed the first half, well made and well acted (Julian Glover, yay!) and all very Pertwee Doctor Who, but then it just sort of... went nowhere. Instead of the ape-men and giant alien insects promised by the first half, we ended up with... a "spooky" wind and a rather lame Devil image in the sky. Boo! I wanted monsters, damn you!

trebor8273 and Buboven like this.
Old 5th July 2015, 12:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Quatermass and the Pit (1967). I was rather disappointed by this, especially as it started so well. I really enjoyed the first half, well made and well acted (Julian Glover, yay!) and all very Pertwee Doctor Who, but then it just sort of... went nowhere. Instead of the ape-men and giant alien insects promised by the first half, we ended up with... a "spooky" wind and a rather lame Devil image in the sky. Boo! I wanted monsters, damn you!

Felt much the same as you about this one. Sold my Blu pretty much straight after acquiring it.
iank likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!