Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2015, 02:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also watched

Cellular (2004, David Ellis)
Awful formulaic "thriller" whence Stafam kidnaps Kim Basinger. But Captain America saves the day, whilst William H Macy takes a break from learning that pesky Mamet dialogue to do his patented put upon schtick, apart fae that PASS.

Bio-Hazard (1985, Fred Olen Ray)
Gory sci fi caper from the man who brought us The Alien Dead. Thank Cthulhu this is slightly better than TAD. The plot consists of some telepathic malarkey that scoops an alien down to Earth. Cheap and cheerful, with some tittersome outtakes at the end, I recommend this to lovers of mid 80s schlock.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th August 2015, 05:23 PM
Cult Addict

Angel

By day Molly Stewart is a hard working, high achieving student going to a prestigious private school in LA. By evening she funds this (and her flat) by working as an under-age hooker named Angel on Hollywood Boulevard. A necrophiliac serial killer is haunting the area and killing off girls, Angel and most of her friends need to keep working to support themselves but when Molly finds herself a target she must team up with her friends Kit Carson, an aged ex stuntman working the strip and transvestite hooker Mae in order to stay safe. Concerned detective Lt. Andrews assists in helping find the killer before its too late.
Angel presents a potentially sanitised account of life as a streetwalker. Certainly the fact a 15 year old girl who has been working the streets from the age of 12 is shocking material in itself, there is little actual depiction of Angel picking up the sort of low-lifes that would go for that sort of thing, nor is there much in the way of drugs, filth or degradation, equally it seems implausible that a girl working all night as a hooker could keep up her grades. That said this exploitation picture from New World pictures is still worth a look, because what it lacks in possible social realism it makes up for in entertainment. Its a well crafted and well paced piece of work that does its job well enough and provides solid entertainment. The score is decent and the acting is pretty good as well.

Avenging angel

In this sequel to Angel, Molly stewart is now a law student working hard to pass the bar. When Lt. Andrews is killed Molly decides to take to the streets once more as Angel to find his killer. she teams back up with Kit and her other friends to find the killer and discovers a powerful criminal cartel buying up the property on Hollywood Boulevard in order to gentrify it. Molly and her friends make their way up the food chain to expose murder and police corruption and ultimately avenge Lt Andrews.
This time, Angel is re-crafted as a low budget action flick with plenty of shoot-outs and a high body count. Ossie Davis turns up as a police officer looking to find Lt Andrews killer and the film is actually more entertaining and certainly dafter than the first. Any pretence that this is social realism goes out the window and as a result we get a straight up, thoroughly entertaining slice of exploitation action.

Angel 3: The final chapter

Molly is working in New York as a photographer for genre legend dick miller when she discovers her long missing mum. She heads back to LA where mommy dearest is promptly blown up in a car bomb. Before she dies she reveals that Molly has a sister who has been abducted by a powerful Madam (played by Maude Adams) who is running a white slavery ring from the streets of LA. Molly must become Angel once more and team up with old friends, as well as a detective played by Richard Roundtree in order to bust the slavery ring.
Less an action flick than the last picture, its still great to see that whatever else changes ANGEL is still cracking entertainment from beginning to end. A lot of 'franchise' pictures become somewhat homogenised as the go on but Angel 3 still feels like a straight up exploitation picture as Angel negotiates the seedy underbelly of LA

angel.jpg

Angel Collection: Angel & Angel 2 & Angel 3 DVD 1990 Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

The set goes for between £4-6 on marketplace, is locked to region 1 and is well worth picking up. Great stuff!
Old 13th August 2015, 09:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatched The Whisperer In Darkness.
This supposedly from fans (then why pick this instead of, say, Charles Dexter Ward), technically a leap up from their The Call Of Cthulhu, but containing mostly extraneous material, which goes against quite a few of HPL's tennents imo. Cough a female character etc. Yes is does say "based on the story..." at the start, but after the reasonably sterling job they did with TCOC, I just felt that they had dropped that ball here.

REC 4: Apocalypse (2014, Jaume Balaguero)
Another disappointment. a string of genre cliches from beginning to end, at least it has the best use of an outboard motor since Zombi Holocaust.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th August 2015, 10:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

John Carpenter's Village of the Damned

Well I've not seen this since the days of the video shop, but I had fond memories of it and took a punt at the recent bluray to come out. Picture quality was ok, typical of Universal!

The film itself, how camp haha! It starts off really good, the whole blackout and mass pregnancy story arc was great fun but unfortunately I found my attention waning once the children actually came into it. I think the wigs did it for me, they are so plastic and cheap! That's not to say I wasn't entertained, I surely was. Kirstie Allie was great fun, Christopher Reeves was good too, the little boy David was pretty good but the girl who played Mara, my god, she was rubbish!!
Some nice gruesome bits as well, fire, boiling water, barbecues and self vivisection...

A lot of people are 'outraged' that such a classic was remade, but c'mon folks we're not talking Gus Van Sant's Psycho here. I enjoyed it myself 3/5

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th August 2015, 10:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST (1958)

Sequel to THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN (1957). 60 foot giant man Glen survived his fall from the dam at the end of the last picture and is now deformed and insane, hiding in the mountains attacking delivery trucks for the food inside....
The usual low budget thrills and effects. Glen's face is half a skull now and does not look that bad actually. The minor gripe is the constant growling and noise the effects people have given the giant. It's an annoying effect and very wearing after a while. The poster promises more than the film delivers but overall an enjoyable hour.
Old 13th August 2015, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439496176.921318.jpg

8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439496282.471483.jpg

8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439496297.250900.jpg

8/10

Always enjoyed the maniac cop films and thought Cordell should be up their with Freddy, Jason and Myers and personally thought of the character and films better than the Friday the 13th movies.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439496462.810451.jpg
7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439496479.086967.jpg
6/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439496628.527837.jpg
7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439496690.052402.jpg
7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439496826.215546.jpg
9/10

Interesting to see how young most of them look in the earlier films, apart from Sid James who must of been born old. Watching them in order apart from my favourite carry on at your connivance which I watch first

Next up war of the roses which I can't remember seeing
Old 13th August 2015, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched a film last night and for life on me I cant remember what it was called..

Anyhow watching that and watching a few trailers for films id like to watch a film where the predictable is unpredictable and changes all the cliché of films .
eg why do they always presume someone they just attacked is dead, they turn away and their not, and the killer gets up and kill the person.
How about they actually kill the person and turn around and someone else is there.

why do they creep up on the killer only to hold the gun to them, the killer turns round and attacks them,
why not just shoot them or tap them with the gun and kill them before they get chance to turn around.

Or they are somewhere and a trap doors comes down and they run to slide underneath it before it closes,
How about they go to slide and the door traps their foot.

I'm getting bored with the predictable cliché in films
Old 14th August 2015, 10:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I watched a film last night and for life on me I cant remember what it was called..

Anyhow watching that and watching a few trailers for films id like to watch a film where the predictable is unpredictable and changes all the cliché of films .
eg why do they always presume someone they just attacked is dead, they turn away and their not, and the killer gets up and kill the person.
How about they actually kill the person and turn around and someone else is there.

why do they creep up on the killer only to hold the gun to them, the killer turns round and attacks them,
why not just shoot them or tap them with the gun and kill them before they get chance to turn around.

Or they are somewhere and a trap doors comes down and they run to slide underneath it before it closes,
How about they go to slide and the door traps their foot.

I'm getting bored with the predictable cliché in films
Try watching less 80s slashers then?? Though the "theyre deid!....No theyre not" bit has been co opted by Hollywood wholesale.

Have you seen Tucker & Dale Vs Evil? A fair few cliches get overturned in that...
keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 14th August 2015, 12:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Try watching less 80s slashers then?? Though the "theyre deid!....No theyre not" bit has been co opted by Hollywood wholesale.

Have you seen Tucker & Dale Vs Evil? A fair few cliches get overturned in that...
The film I watched was from last year, and the trailers are for new films.
But I keep meaning to watch Tucker & dale v Evil dead
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th August 2015, 01:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER (1958)

A make up artist is let go by the studio by it's new owners as they say that monster movies are finished. Out for revenge, he makes up the TEENAGE WEREWOLF and TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN and under hypnosis the two monsters set out to kill the new owners......
More low budget fun. There is a good scene in the make up artists room that has several monster masks from other American International Pictures on the wall. A song and dance number is once again fitted into the action which became the norm for some of the 50's drive-in horrors.

Like this? Share it using the links below!