Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2015, 12:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Don't think Murderrock has ever been on british TV??

Ahem.

Watched.....

The Avengers:Age Of Ultron (2015, Joss Whedon)
Now I did read a lot of Avengers in my youth, but I don't recall The Hulk falling in love with Black Widow!! Villian half baked (literally), it has no impetus, it just keeps on going...somewhat like

Ted 2 (Seth MacbloodyFarlane, 2014)
MAKE A BLOODY MUSICAL THEN!!

The Punisher: War Zone (2008, Lexi Alexander)
This is more like it!!! More fun than the shitey Thomas Jane remake, Dominic West great fun as Jigsaw (NOT THAT ONE ) and the violence is a hoot. Speaking of hoots....

Homicycle (2014, Brett Kelly)
No budget trash possibly made by three metal bands in their spare time?? Somewhat resembling The Wraith, if you watched that whilst sniffing petrol that is The villian is to die for, and the editing takes the biscuit. Recommended to the spinsters of this parish who glom on such pieces of crud.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th August 2015, 12:51 PM
Cult Addict

"The villain is to die for". Quite good, Dem. That nearly had me spitting out my sandwich.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 24th August 2015, 01:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
"The villain is to die for". Quite good, Dem. That nearly had me spitting out my sandwich.
Wait til you see him, I shit you not.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th August 2015, 01:08 PM
Cult Addict

I thought the killer from What Have They Done To Your Daughters was bumped off years ago?
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Last edited by mr 420; 24th August 2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 24th August 2015, 05:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Chow Yun Fat and Wong Jing return to the gambling movie with mixed results.
Overall this is an entertaining film but it certainly doesn't compare too favourable to it's famous predecessors "God of Gamblers" and "Return of the God of Gamblers".
Still it's the best we can expect from a HK movie nowadays I guess and it has moments where it almost reaches the level of the old classics.
The excessive use of cgi at the most inappropriate of moments (like the gambling scenes) is a letdown though.

Last edited by bdc; 24th August 2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 24th August 2015, 06:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439325.057699.jpg

Enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting. Englund was on great form and we had an interesting story with some decent gore. Only downside it seemed to end abruptly. 7.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439706.484709.jpg

Well with posts about CGI vs practical effects and pingu thought it was time to watch this classic once again one of those rare movies that is better than the original. Nothing I can add that has not been said before, so enjoy some pictures. 10/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439836.677099.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439847.753077.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439858.354195.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439868.384926.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439877.959091.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439886.327551.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439897.605395.jpg
Attachment 169197
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439914.778124.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440439924.257129.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440440754.825814.jpg

Now watching this which is another movie which I was not expecting much but really enjoying it. The story of a ship that goes missing on the way to Europa to look for signs of life, done in the style of a lost footage as the story is told by mission logs and old interviews and news reports. This hard science fiction which is a nice change from the usual alien invasion etc films. Not going to be in the same calibre as interstellar or 2001 but still an enjoyable affair and at the moment would give it an 8/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 24th August 2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 24th August 2015, 08:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

BRAIN DAMAGE – I never get fed up of watching 'Brain Damage', Frank Henenlotter's ode to singing parasites. You probably all know the tale of Brian and his psychedelic encounter with said crooner, so I won't recount it here. When I saw it the other day I found it to be as mesmerising as ever, awash with cheap eighties fried-looking visuals for the druuuug bits, obligatory splatter, and, most crucially for a Henenlotter film, the total scuzziness of period NYC. So many scenes stand out – panting brains in the restaurant, shenanigans in flea ridden junkie hotel, fatal BJ with monster phallus soundtracked by The Swimming Pool Qs at the back of some godforsaken grime haven (name - 'Hell'!), and, let's not forget, 'Elmer's Tune'. Always a delight to revisit.

FLESH FOR THE BEAST – Another one I hadn't seen for a while. 'Flesh For The Beast' doesn't have a very good rep (or much of any kind of rep, really), but I thought it delivered. Delivered what, though? Well, it's kind of trashy, and kind of lame – a bunch of 'paranormal investigators' (yawn already) snoop around in a house where something bad happened. There are three sisterly looking young women around who turn out to be demons or etc etc, and blood is spilled. 'Flesh For The Beast' predates somewhat the mid-noughties thing for grindhouse affectation, so the film is deliberately scuzzed up with superposed crackles and grain. Surprisingly this seems to work rather well, and gives the whole thing the murkily oppressive edge of a knackered 16mm relic from the early eighties. There's also an abundance of gore and bad nudity and a few blurts of hysteria such as a shag / stabbing surrounded by demented close ups of the faces of toys and dolls woooohhh. The bit with the demonesses cavorting nekkid amongst some dudes entrails was also quite erm heightened. 'Flesh For The Beast' – a wretched piece of spew which I'd welcome back any day.

HAUTE TENSION – Is this film a splitter? Loads of people don't seem to like it very much. I mean, to the point of seeming infuriated by it. I mentioned it to my colleague at The Facility the other day, and he pretty much spat at me. I've always thought of it as being quite good. Admittedly, once you've seen the ending, there's no going back. And it's kind of downhill from there as far as repeat viewings go, as gaping holes in the film's logic become painfully apparent. You could say in its defence that it's all in someone's head ultimately, and that subjective craziness justifies any such lapses. Whatever, I'm not really bothered by that kind of thing anyway. I always get something out of 'Haute Tension' and I must've seen it four or five times now. I'm frequently a little underwhelmed by the violence, it being touted as a flagship of the New French Extremity back in the day. HT is pretty gory though, with that brutal stairwell decap and various other bits from Mr DeRossi. Weirdly, I think it IS a film designed to be watched several times – you can forget the plot devices and focus on little spurts of strangeness, such as the deformed face emblem that seemed to keep cropping up when I saw it this time, which gave the film a more dream-like edge than previously.
Old 24th August 2015, 11:13 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Orc Wars.

I caught this on the Horror Channel or rather it caught me...This is one dumb and fun film that pits a soldier suffering with post traumatic stress against an army of dimension travelling orcs! Throw in a dragon, increasingly larger and larger firearms, a blind mystical Native American and 90 minutes flies by in sprays of black cgi orc blood and shit blowing up. Vastly superior to Peter Jackson's recent midget fetish outings.
Old 25th August 2015, 11:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Orc Wars.

I caught this on the Horror Channel or rather it caught me...This is one dumb and fun film that pits a soldier suffering with post traumatic stress against an army of dimension travelling orcs! Throw in a dragon, increasingly larger and larger firearms, a blind mystical Native American and 90 minutes flies by in sprays of black cgi orc blood and shit blowing up. Vastly superior to Peter Jackson's recent midget fetish outings.
Sterling reviews as always Frankie.

I too have had the pleasure of marvelling at OC. I'm hoping for a loong line of slightly poorer sequels. The estate agent a highlight haha.

[B]
Old 25th August 2015, 11:35 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

FLESH FOR THE BEAST – Another one I hadn't seen for a while. 'Flesh For The Beast' doesn't have a very good rep (or much of any kind of rep, really), but I thought it delivered. Delivered what, though? Well, it's kind of trashy, and kind of lame – a bunch of 'paranormal investigators' (yawn already) snoop around in a house where something bad happened. There are three sisterly looking young women around who turn out to be demons or etc etc, and blood is spilled. 'Flesh For The Beast' predates somewhat the mid-noughties thing for grindhouse affectation, so the film is deliberately scuzzed up with superposed crackles and grain. Surprisingly this seems to work rather well, and gives the whole thing the murkily oppressive edge of a knackered 16mm relic from the early eighties. There's also an abundance of gore and bad nudity and a few blurts of hysteria such as a shag / stabbing surrounded by demented close ups of the faces of toys and dolls woooohhh. The bit with the demonesses cavorting nekkid amongst some dudes entrails was also quite erm heightened. 'Flesh For The Beast' – a wretched piece of spew which I'd welcome back any day.
I really like Flesh for the Beast and agree with everything you say Frankie.

I've got two copies of it and both are different. It's not that either are cut but they are seemingly filmed from different camera angles.

Like this? Share it using the links below!