Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2015, 08:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

Uh... no.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 29th August 2015, 03:38 PM
Ex-member

Anthropophagus - never seen this before one of the better video nasties in my opinion, hoping 88 films release the spiritual sequel Absurd now

Zombi Holocaust - seen this on dvd as part of the Zombie Flesh Eaters set ages ago just watched it for the second time on Blu-Ray, enjoyed it more this time than the last time i enjoy the bit in the city the most and wished that was longer... But it's a good film. I dont remember the DVD being so grainy though, grainiest Blu-Ray i've seen so far.
Old 29th August 2015, 06:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Killdozer! (1974)

Finally, being a fan of the band that took their name from this film it has sat on my YouTube watchlist for some time, finally I dedicated some time to watch it this evening. The quality of the copy of YouTube is really quite decent btw.

What could be a complete schlock fest this is actually a rather stylish, well thought out film. Seriously, for a plot that is basically bulldozer that kills it has some reasonable & likeable characters, interesting shots, sporadic but purposeful music and a sensible plotline (in one machine gone mad stage they actually just walk up a steep hill and watch from there rather than running around in circles flapping). Although, in a film like this, sensibility isn't necessarily a good thing but it really works and don't worry it lives up to its name, people are killed - the machine is really quite menacing, even though it is bright yellow. Another bonus is it comes in at a nice b-movie 70 minutes, I wish all films were this length.

Seriously worth checking out, and for those that don't know the band, one of their great covers.

friggin' love Killdozer
Old 29th August 2015, 08:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

FIRST MAN INTO SPACE
Daring American astronaut becomes the first man to go into the far reaches of space, encountering strange cosmic dust that turns him into a blood slurping creature on return to Earth.
50s b movie sci fi with lots of close ups and pitch black backgrounds to hide the fact they couldn't afford to build the sets, this is still an enjoyable yarn, in a kind of 60s Dr Who kind of way, albeit a bit more gruesome. In fact the creature itself isn't unlike the Chameleon aliens in the second Dr adventure The Faceless Ones.

HORROR HOSPITAL
Eccentric ( as ever ) Michael Gough is conducting experiments on runaway 70s youth, turning them into pale faced zombies who obey his every command. But what is his own gruesome secret?
One of the most over the top and truly out there UK horrors of the 70s, this arrives on blu ray from Odeon. And it looks stunning, particularly in the outdoor scenes. Highly recommended.
And talking of Mr Gough, let's have blu ray releases of THE VELVET HOUSE and SATAN'S SLAVE.
Old 29th August 2015, 08:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

"Five graduates come together to celebrate their teacher Master Jude's 80-year-okd birthday. Th is includes York (Eric Tsang); Claude(Jim Chim); Sam(Wong Jing); Keith(Chapman To) and Charlie (Tat Dik). Master Jude (Richard Ng) is a bachelor who enlightened them on the matter of sex during their school days.

However, during the celebration party, they encounter 5 pretty, sexy young models: the uninhibited Tina (Chrissie Chau), the movie fan Audrey(Jessica Xu), the body-check addict Peril (Caroline Chu), the off-possessed by spirits Jeanne (Carol Yeung) and Eleven (Betrys KKong), who is to eager to give up her virginity. They fall for each other and have a love-fest in the hotel.

The five men group together to form "The Cheating Brigade" to continue their affairs with the five models. Their Wives, headed by hillary (Maggie Cheung), with Sze (Harriet Yeung), Nana (Monica Chan), Ling Ling (Mak Ling Ling) and Nancy (Jacquelin Ching), also group together to catch them on the act. An 'espionage war' between husbands and wives ensues. Who will be the final victors - the husbands or the wives?"

Wong Jing's films can be hit and miss but I still think they mostly hit the spot personally...I haven't seen that many of his "newer" films though so I mostly base my opinion on his older (pre-2000) work...

Unfortunately this didn't do much for me except produce a few (intended) chuckles from time to time.
Released the same year as Microsex Office and even featuring some of the same actors,it has a totally different feel and definitely lacks punch / a certain something to keep the movie together.
I must applaud Wong Jing for keeping the flame of good old Hong Kong screwball sleaze alive but this could have been so much better imho.

For a true (Cat III even) sleazeball fest about a lecherous "teacher" + his "pupils" and their wives,maybe just watch Stooges in Tokyo (1991) instead.
Old 29th August 2015, 09:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

RAWHEAD REX – I love 'Rawhead Rex'! It's a bit rubbish, though! In fact, it's awful. That's the brutal truth. To get into this adaption thing again, it really doesn't make any sense to compare Barker's short story to this woeful cast-off. I have a loathe-love relationship with Barker's prose at times – this goes back to 'The Books Of Blood'. I can find him awe-inspiring, or I can get dismissive, possibly out of jealousy, but sometimes out of frustration. 'Rawhead Rex' (the story) isn't one of Barker's more out-there numbers, but it does have the virtue of being straightforward enough to make for relatively easy visual translation. In principal. In reality, when the 'translators' (G Pavlou et al) speak the visual language of an Inspector Morse episode crossed with a shite rock video, perhaps something is lost. Or gained! Because that's what you get, a kind of late eighties / early nineties Brit-TV feel coupled with dismal visuals which, in collusion with often dire acting and a really horrible, inappropriate overblown orchestral score, make for quite a pungent brew, if one which Clive might not exactly have imbibed himself. For the uninitiated, it's about a pre-christian deity who rises from the earth in rural Ireland in order to lay waste to the countryside. Only the power of Danu herself can stop this guy! Some of the more subversive aspects of CB's story are left in the shadows and not fully drawn out, but we do get odd lurches into semi-transgression (piss-on-a-priest bit is there). Rawhead himself looks pretty sorrowful, a wolf-gorilla troll doll refugee from some kind of gypsy-metal video. It drags in places, but it's ripe enough to do it for me. Again, it's all about a specific feeling, one you don't get every day (because they got it so, so wrong). Never really got a definitive DVD / BD release, but the prices on Amazon are generally shocking.

NECROPOLIS - Pretty wretched bit of dreck which I have developed an unhealthy affection for, having sat through it three times over the years (which is three times too many for any reasonable human being). Sometimes I think I see things in these films that don't really exist – maybe bad should just be bad. But 'Necropolis', sloppily tacked together as it is, somehow for me has this elusive, off-hand quality to it which makes it seem elliptical when it should just be clunky. I guess that's because things happen in it which are all a bit out of sync, and sometimes just aren't explained. What's it about? A 17th century witch who is reincarnated as an eighties NYC biker-goth. When we meet her 'back in the day' she's wearing lycra and doing bombastic disco moves! Fast forward to the eighties and she's a leathered up crop haired punkette who goes around intimidating the owners of magic shops with her psychic powers. She has an entourage of icky zombie cultists who aren't in it much, and seems to make jizz leak out of people's heads when she snuffs them. A New York priest, also reincarnated from way back when, is on her case, and so is an uptight British reporter. It has that shitty, grotty New York eighties thing so beloved of myself because, well, it's not like I had to live there at the time, period synth music, and just that whole sketchy wonkiness. T Kinkaid's name crops up in the credits, and it does have something of a tinge of 'Breeders' to it. Christ, I actually wrote that last sentence. What's happening to me? How can anyone compare anything to 'Breeders' and mean it? Seriously, something's wrong!
Old 29th August 2015, 09:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
RAWHEAD REX the prices on Amazon are generally shocking.
£1.12 plus postage and you get Tales from the Darkside free.

Double DVD Collection - Tales From The Darkside The Movie, Rawhead Rex: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

Great film by the way. I also really like it. The rubbish creature and OTT gore effects add to the slightly surreal vibe.
Old 29th August 2015, 09:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
£1.12 plus postage and you get Tales from the Darkside free.

Double DVD Collection - Tales From The Darkside The Movie, Rawhead Rex: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

Great film by the way. I also really like it. The rubbish creature and OTT gore effects add to the slightly surreal vibe.
Well, maybe someone'll strike it 'lucky'. All the other ones seemed to be around thirty quid for some unfathomable reason.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th August 2015, 09:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Well, maybe someone'll strike it 'lucky'. All the other ones seemed to be around thirty quid for some unfathomable reason.
Ha,ha. You can't put a price on monsters made from rubber suits.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 29th August 2015, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Although From Vegas to Macau left me wanting,I can't resist to watch the sequel...
Scheduled for tonight:

keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!