Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 6th May 2012 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 61667

The parts with the real Bruce Lee in are fantastic but the way the film is padded out without Bruce Lee is not great at all. Personally i dont like his funeral footage being used in the film a bit disrespectful but thats just me.

There is no denying how iconic some parts of the film are like the yellow jump suit and the fight with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Half the film is superb the rest is not.

pedromonkey 6th May 2012 07:16 PM

just finished Assault On Precinct 13, the Carpenter original and man does that film still totally hold up today. It's so freaking good, i hadn't seen it in years and can see where Carpenter got the characteristics of Plissken from (Napoleon Wilson).

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2012 07:17 PM

After all these years, Assault is still my favourite Carpenter film.

pedromonkey 6th May 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 239423)
After all these years, Assault is still my favourite Carpenter film.

im sticking with The Thing as my favourite Carpenter film but this comes very close.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2012 07:43 PM

May's viewings (so far):

http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-341-crop.jpg http://psycho.app1.srv.letterboxd.co...0-341-crop.jpg http://predator.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-341-crop.jpg http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-341-crop.jpg http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-341-crop.jpg http://memento.app1.srv.letterboxd.c...0-341-crop.jpg http://memento.app1.srv.letterboxd.c...0-341-crop.jpg http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-341-crop.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2012 08:54 PM

Good stuff. Which Nosferatu was it – Murnau's 1922 masterpiece or Werner Hertzog's creditable 1979 version?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 239464)
Good stuff. Which Nosferatu was it – Murnau's 1922 masterpiece or Werner Hertzog's creditable 1979 version?

Murnau's version - now if only someone would remaster this for a Blu-ray release! :pray:

Make Them Die Slowly 6th May 2012 08:58 PM

BE, what did you think to "Poor Pretty Eddie"?

DaveJ.W 6th May 2012 08:59 PM

21 Jump Street (2012)

*** out of ****

The Last House on the Left (2009)

*** out of ****

My Bloody Valentine (1981)

**** out of ****

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 239467)
BE, what did you think to "Poor Pretty Eddie"?

I enjoyed it - it's certainly heavily influenced by TCM, but the cast of colourful characters, and the use of camera cutaways, flashbacks, and slo-mo (these techniques embellish the film with a heavy sense of the surreal) aid to create something much more unique. It's not overly graphic or violent, but instead relies on implied menace, fear, and dread. Plus, it also stars 'Lurch' from the Addam's Family in a supporting role. :)

bdc 6th May 2012 09:29 PM

Moonraker,silly but entertaining late 70's Bond and a bit of a mess.
Roger Moore's performance keeps it all together. :)

Cold Prey 3,actually a sort of prequel (didn't they get the facts wrong about the young boy in the beginning?) but too much nonsense thrown in this time...the makers should have sticked with the basic slasher in the woods set up.

I really liked "the pit sequence" though,they could have expanded on that for instance and added more things like that...also some really nice outdoor settings.

Part 1 and 2 are definitely better,not all bad though. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 239466)
Murnau's version - now if only someone would remaster this for a Blu-ray release! :pray:

That would be a dream come true! I think my most wanted BDs are Nosferatu (1922) and Rosemary's Baby.

keirarts 6th May 2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 239477)
I enjoyed it - it's certainly heavily influenced by TCM, but the cast of colourful characters, and the use of camera cutaways, flashbacks, and slo-mo (these techniques embellish the film with a heavy sense of the surreal) aid to create something much more unique. It's not overly graphic or violent, but instead relies on implied menace, fear, and dread. Plus, it also stars 'Lurch' from the Addam's Family in a supporting role. :)

The commentary track is worth a listen too, actually pretty interesting.

VicDakin 6th May 2012 09:32 PM

What films have you seen recently?

2 Attachment(s)
Double of some old favs tonight

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th May 2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 239496)
That would be a dream come true! I think my most wanted BDs are Nosferatu (1922) and Rosemary's Baby.

Two of mine, too. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th May 2012 10:48 PM

Bizarre_Eye, whats The Image like?

Are there two releases as i have seen another with a different cover?

Gojirosan 6th May 2012 11:10 PM

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

Restored long version.

At the cinema.

Envy me.

Pete 6th May 2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 239527)

Restored long version.

At the cinema.

Envy me.

Ah ****! I forgot about that!:doh:

Gojirosan 6th May 2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 239529)
Ah ****! I forgot about that!:doh:

Do you fancy Robocop on the 15th?

Pete 6th May 2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 239532)
Do you fancy Robocop on the 15th?

Oh yes! :nod:

I really must visit FACT more often. They showed INFERNO a month or so ago and I missed it :(

Nordicdusk 6th May 2012 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 61743

Really enjoyed this for me its a fantastic film and look at Hitlers final day. I must upgrade to the Blu Ray.

keirarts 7th May 2012 07:28 AM

Finished my JIm Jarmusch box-sets.

Watched DEAD MAN. Supurb western with johnny depp, robert mitchum, lance henriksen, crispin glover...

Well quite a few famous faces to say the least. Wonderful black and white photography and a supurb score. Some of the best black comedy in any of his films. This is probably the sixth or seventh time i've seen this film and it never gets tired or dull. Magnificent.

Night on earth. Multiple stories set over one night in various time zones. New york, LA, Paris, Rome....

Some supurb stories but my favorite is the roberto begnini one set in rome. Totally manic and hilarious.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th May 2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 239527)

Restored long version.

At the cinema.

Envy me.

I am green at the moment!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 239540)
Attachment 61743

Really enjoyed this for me its a fantastic film and look at Hitlers final day. I must upgrade to the Blu Ray.

It is a great film and Bruno Ganz is astonishing and completely convincing in the lead role.

The picture quality on the BD is really the only reason to upgrade as it doesn't have HD sound.

Kyle 7th May 2012 08:11 AM

theater bizarre :tsk:
the dark night :rockon:
touch of evil :sleep:

VicDakin 7th May 2012 09:56 AM

RAMONES - IT'S ALIVE 1974 - 1996

3 Attachment(s)
RAMONES - IT'S ALIVE 1974 - 1996

watching at the mo

Nordicdusk 7th May 2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 239574)
I am green at the moment!

It is a great film and Bruno Ganz is astonishing and completely convincing in the lead role.

The picture quality on the BD is really the only reason to upgrade as it doesn't have HD sound.

In that case ill just wait until i find it really cheap. Thanks for letting me know.:)

wongfeihung62 7th May 2012 10:35 AM

MAN ON A LEDGE
THE WARD
GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO - remake
NIGHTMARE CITY
STAR WARRIORS - feature length documentary on the 501st legion's preperation and participation in the Rose bowl parade.

sawyer6 7th May 2012 11:32 AM

1)So begins my Predator/Alien rewatch to raise the hype for Prometheus,2)classic romantic comedy starring Don Ameche,3)the anti-war masterpiece looking better than ever,4),5) both inferior to Bronx Warriors but still entertaining,6)Funeral Parade Of Roses, excellent underground movie from Japan,7)Good Neo Giallo from Argento,8)a lost gem from France from Jacques Tati collaborator Pierre Etaix,9),10)have to watch the rest before watching The Avengers although I'm going to regret it!,11)from the excellent Arrow box set,12)rewatched that ,still weak sequel!13)the most recent release,good extras,14),15)two very good documentaries from Julien Temple,16)a prequel series to the movie http://i50.tinypic.com/2hrfl78.jpg

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 7th May 2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 239632)
1)So begins my Predator/Alien rewatch to raise the hype for Prometheus,2)classic romantic comedy starring Don Ameche,3)the anti-war masterpiece looking better than ever,4),5) both inferior to Bronx Warriors but still entertaining,6)Funeral Parade Of Roses, excellent underground movie from Japan,7)Good Neo Giallo from Argento,8)a lost gem from France from Jacques Tati collaborator Pierre Etaix,9),10)have to watch the rest before watching The Avengers although I'm going to regret it!,11)from the excellent Arrow box set,12)rewatched that ,still weak sequel!13)the most recent release,good extras,14),15)two very good documentaries from Julien Temple,16)a prequel series to the movie http://i50.tinypic.com/2hrfl78.jpg

Luving the pic, Sawyer :clap: So many great films on there - which is your favourite of those? :p

sawyer6 7th May 2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 239644)
Luving the pic, Sawyer :clap: So many great films on there - which is your favourite of those? :p

Difficult one,probably Battle Royale,it was my 8th time! or Reservoir Dogs or ...

James Morton 7th May 2012 02:22 PM

THE X-FILES
never really saw the series
seen the film before and its a very good sci fi thriller

Demoncrat 7th May 2012 03:23 PM

Asian double bill, Men Behind The Sun and Red To Kill

Both had repellent imagery. TF Mous' rather notorious film about Unit 731 still has the power to shock (as a cat lover i'm biased though :laugh:) and RTK is Cat III incarnate as far as i'm concerned, recommended to any asian fan.

James Morton 7th May 2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 239718)

Both had repellent imagery. TF Mous' rather notorious film about Unit 731 still has the power to shock (as a cat lover i'm biased though :laugh:) and RTK is Cat III incarnate as far as i'm concerned, recommended to any asian fan.

RTK is very good film
can't find a dvd of MBTS though.....

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th May 2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 239577)
the dark night :rockon:
touch of evil :sleep:

If its the Batman film The Dark Knight you mean i would switch the emoticons around.

The Dark Knight :sleep:

Touch of Evil :rockon:

Hawkmonger 7th May 2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 239725)
If its the Batman film The Dark Knight you mean i would switch the emoticons around.

The Dark Knight :sleep:

Touch of Evil :rockon:

What's wrong with The Dark Knight? :coolblue:

keirarts 7th May 2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 239789)
What's wrong with The Dark Knight? :coolblue:

Am I allowed to say I enjoy both? :pray:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th May 2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 239793)
Am I allowed to say I enjoy both? :pray:

Certainly. I do as they are both great films which can be watched repeatedly.

Come to think of it, it's been ages since I saw The Dark Knight, something which must be remedied.

Frankie Teardrop 7th May 2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 239718)

Red To Kill = Quintessence of HK sleaze, for sure.

PaulD 7th May 2012 10:16 PM

The Avengers - 2 and a half hours of sheer wonderful Hollywood blockbuster goodness. Funny, highly enjoyable, incredibly well-directed by Joss Whedon (the long action shot which panned along to show all of the heroes engaging in battle near the end was spectacular!) and did well not to have any of the characters over-shadowed. The Hulk was hilarious and works so much better as a 'weapon' rather than a character in his own film and the interplay between all the main characters was excellently done. As soon as it finished I thought "I really want to see this again on the big screen"

Gojirosan 7th May 2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 239885)
The Avengers - 2 and a half hours of sheer wonderful Hollywood blockbuster goodness. Funny, highly enjoyable, incredibly well-directed by Joss Whedon (the long action shot which panned along to show all of the heroes engaging in battle near the end was spectacular!) and did well not to have any of the characters over-shadowed. The Hulk was hilarious and works so much better as a 'weapon' rather than a character in his own film and the interplay between all the main characters was excellently done. As soon as it finished I thought "I really want to see this again on the big screen"

With every additional similar review I read like this I feel a bit more broken and old.