Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Also just watched Society by Brain Yuzna.

Very weird weird movie. The ending is so surreal and messed up

Enjoyed it though was a good flick that has disturbing things like talk of incest which I thought was messed up

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:19 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Henry Portrait Of A Serial Killer: I've seen this many times before but my girlfriend had never seen it and having just read a book about Henry Lee Lucas she wanted to watch it. I loved it as much as ever. I think it's a superb and powerful film - a fine and considerable achievement. The missis was less impressed. I don't think she was expecting something as "arty" as she got ("Too few killings"...she muttered!) and she would have prefered an actual biopic/procedural about the real Lucas case.

Mortuary: a very odd low budgeter from Tobe Hooper. Certainly no masterpiece, but thoroughly enjoyable and wonderfully strange. Quite atmospheric and dark at times, then funny and quirky the next - a bit like The Funhouse in tone(s), now I come to think of it...over all, I liked it, but it was not up to Toolbox Murders quality and certainly not up to his early stuff. Fun though.

Zombies (ie Wicked Little Things): what a great little film! Superbly atmospheric and really quite creepy and unsettling at times. Well performed and beeautifully photographed. A lot was achieved with little budget and a small story! I really enjoyed this.

The Todd Killings: look, here's the thing...this film NEEDS a proper release. It's a superb film, almost lost, and it truly deserves a nicely remastered, widescreen DVD release. I used to have a duff VHS dupe which took me years to hunt down and felt the search had been totally worthwhile. When I put this on this morning I realised I could barely remember the film and it was like seeing it for the first time again. A brilliant, brilliant film from the constantly under-rated director Barry Shear (his Wild In The Streets is also excellent and I would love to get another copy of that too!)
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:24 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
(his Wild In The Streets is also excellent and I would love to get another copy of that too!)
In fact, I just ordered one!
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:10 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Also just watched Society by Brain Yuzna.

Very weird weird movie. The ending is so surreal and messed up

Enjoyed it though was a good flick that has disturbing things like talk of incest which I thought was messed up
Gotta love Society!

It's one of my favourite Yuzna films.
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Foot Fist Way - I'm a sucker for this kind of embarrassment based humour. This is actually quite an emotional experience and actually ends on a rather feel good note.

Dororo - Japanese fantasy based on a Manga series about a Samurai swordsman who must defeat 48 monsters to get his body parts back. Some cool and some clunky FX as you would expect but at 2 hours 15 minutes it does over stay its welcome just a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Foot Fist Way.jpg (7.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Dororo.jpg (6.3 KB, 4 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Last edited by DeadAlive; 22nd January 2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Bad typing.
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched maniac when it 1st come out yrs ago
Ive had it on dvd for ages but nvr watched it
I watched it again last night and to be honest i found it extremely dull and boring at 1 point i was more interested at noising at the pics on the wall in his room than what was actualy going on in the film
Old 22nd January 2010, 02:00 PM
Ex-member

"The Spirit"

Holy hellfire and hamsters! Perhaps the most annoying movie ever made!

Seems Frank Miller decided to shove all the crap, really annoying, characters he had at the bottom of his waste bin after doing the wonderful "Sin City"...give them to actors who also decided to give really annoying performances...and gave them all really annoying dialogue to say.

Was this comedy? Parody? Homage? Slapstick cartoon? Thriller? Serious crime drama? 40's Noir?
It was actually all of those aspects, all done badly, and none of it fitted together and i actually gave up an hour in and skipped to the end.

Damn! This was just so annoying. Annoying in every way!
A pox on it!
Old 22nd January 2010, 02:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Gotta love Society!

It's one of my favourite Yuzna films.
Yeah it was good. :lol

Yuzna has made some good films, I seen both of his Re-Animator sequels and Society now. Next I need to see Faust: Love of the Damned and Dentist.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 22nd January 2010, 02:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Yeah it was good. :lol

Yuzna has made some good films, I seen both of his Re-Animator sequels and Society now. Next I need to see Faust: Love of the Damned and Dentist.
Faust has a vary rare straight role for Jeffrey Combs. Not a bad film but not a great one either. Defo worth a watch.

I watched a great little low-budget Sci-Fi/Horror last night called Growth, it had an obiviously low budget but the cast and crew make use of all of it. It's a sort of Slither meets Dreamcatcher, minus the stupid mental aspect of the latter, kind of film, concerning gentic experiments with these small parasitic creatures. some good perfomanceses to.
Old 22nd January 2010, 04:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Girly (ie Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny and Girly)

I've wanted to see this curio for many years. Finally caught up with a washed out bootleg mastered from a VHS.

It's a gem, IMO. A strange tongue in cheek cross between Entertaining Mr Sloane and Theorem - Orton meets Pasolini, what's not to like! Though mostly black comedy the central premise is really quite chilling and it works as horror too. Superb performances all around and Freddie Francis must have loved it as it seems to have had a more caring hand on it than some of his other more thrown together horror efforts. It's quite beautifully photographed and rattles along at just the right pace. Character development is superb - You really get to know the distinct types of psychopathy each of the characters has!

Apparently, there is a legit DVD release due in a couple of months, so here's hoping they managed to track down a decent source (as it was largely presumed lost until recently)

See this film!

Like this? Share it using the links below!