Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Scheduled for tonight:

In 3D by any chance?
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st August 2015, 08:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Off for a week so taking advantage:

The Beastmaster (1982) Last time I saw this I had to agree with my Dad....it was crap! However my fathers judgement was based on the fact that he didn't like Marc Singer's eyes! "To close together, he's always squinting" My view has changed I quite liked this, yes its cheesy but it does have Tanya Roberts in it, (she can't act and her deiivery of lines is bloody awful....but she's very easy on the eye!

Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time (1991) The first had been crap but I had changed my mind this, however, is never going to change! Singer returns with a strange overly blonde hairdo and waving his sword about (!). This is more played for comedy....and it isn't that comedic!

Beastmaster III: The Eye of Braxus (1996) With his hair more like it was in the first movie, Singer returns yet again in yet another crap entry, (I tried!) David Warner also appears doing his sneery best along with Lesley-Anne Down and Tony Todd.

Shameless Sunday became Shameless Monday this week, I just spent 12 hours rearranging my DVDs and Blu's....I should have picked a hobby that was easier to manage!

#13: What Have They Done to Your Daughters (1974) This is more like it! After weeks of viewing various Shameless titles, many of which are first time viewing, and not being overly impressed (Fulci..."Burn the Heretic!") I get to number 13 in the collection. Although my mind did wonder a few times I really did enjoy this one, and what a great score!

#14: Who Saw Her Die? (1972) Another good movie, this one starring George Lazenby and Adolfo Celi. Again first time seeing it and again mind did wonder, (but thats because I'm full of a cold, headache and running a temp).
Old 31st August 2015, 09:56 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Off for a week so taking advantage:

The Beastmaster (1982) Last time I saw this I had to agree with my Dad....it was crap! However my fathers judgement was based on the fact that he didn't like Marc Singer's eyes! "To close together, he's always squinting" My view has changed I quite liked this, yes its cheesy but it does have Tanya Roberts in it, (she can't act and her deiivery of lines is bloody awful....but she's very easy on the eye!

Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time (1991) The first had been crap but I had changed my mind this, however, is never going to change! Singer returns with a strange overly blonde hairdo and waving his sword about (!). This is more played for comedy....and it isn't that comedic!

Beastmaster III: The Eye of Braxus (1996) With his hair more like it was in the first movie, Singer returns yet again in yet another crap entry, (I tried!) David Warner also appears doing his sneery best along with Lesley-Anne Down and Tony Todd.

Shameless Sunday became Shameless Monday this week, I just spent 12 hours rearranging my DVDs and Blu's....I should have picked a hobby that was easier to manage!

#13: What Have They Done to Your Daughters (1974) This is more like it! After weeks of viewing various Shameless titles, many of which are first time viewing, and not being overly impressed (Fulci..."Burn the Heretic!") I get to number 13 in the collection. Although my mind did wonder a few times I really did enjoy this one, and what a great score!

#14: Who Saw Her Die? (1972) Another good movie, this one starring George Lazenby and Adolfo Celi. Again first time seeing it and again mind did wonder, (but thats because I'm full of a cold, headache and running a temp).
Have you seen 'The Beastmaster' TV series? It will redefine the meaning of crap for you.
Old 31st August 2015, 10:31 PM
Cult Addict

The Bloody Judge

First up today, first thing this morning is Jess Franco's take on the infamous Lord Justice Jeffreys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...Baron_Jeffreys Aka the hanging judge. The film takes one or two liberties with the history, adding in witchcraft as it was post Witchfinder General so marketing itself on the back of that. It also has some of the trademark perversity and sadism that would become the hallmark of his later work, especially in the torture scenes. While Mark of the Devil gets the best rep for witchfinder knock-off's this one really deserves some credit. The battle scenes are exceptionally well staged and as one would expect, Christopher Leee brings plenty of Gravitas to the role of Jeffreys. It's not a proper Franco film without Howard Vernon either and he pops up here as the torturer.

Lesson of Evil

Heres one Asian film that I doubt will see a remake any time soon. Takeshi Miike delivers a superb, hyper violent tale of a psychopathic teacher going off the deep end and killing off disgruntled parents, faculty members and ultimately the students themselves. The film culminates in a shotgun rampage through the school that is likely to not win the film many favours state side. Especially as it suggests the teech learned his craft in America. To his credit Miike is a smart director and cranks everything to the level of hyper realism and pop culture mish-mash so the films isn't as offensive as it might have been in other hands. Some nice touches including the teachers flashbacks done as some kind of multi-media collage showing his early days learning the trade and the videodrome-esque transformation of the shotgun to show it talking to him during his rampage.

A girl walks home alone at night.

Like a mixture of Jim Jarmuch, Eraserhead and Abel ferrarers The addiction, AGWHAAN is a strange, occasionally surreal love story to cinema, music and love. Set in the strange netherworld of 'bad town' a grotty out the way burg some place near the Iranian oil fields a young gardener is struggling to make ends meet. He has a nice car, which he spent over five years saving for and...well... that's about it. His dad is a Junkie deep in debt to a local hood who comes to collect one night and takes his car. Heading over there he gets to the dealers place not long after a headscarf wearing vampire has offed him so he takes his car back, as well as all the cash and drugs. Things seem up until one night he's wandering home E'd out of his gourd and encounters the strange vampire girl and things progress from there. I suspect we'll be seeing one or two negative reviews up here as this is not a film for everyone. It has a strange night time feel, like mystery train or Only lovers left alive, I'm genuinely surprised it has an 18, because one or two parts aside I'd have classed it as a 15 as its not outrageously violent. The black and white photography is sublime and the soundtrack is wonderful as well. I would urge anyone with the opportunity to give this one a try.

Stretch

Finishing off with something a little trashy. This ones from Joe Carnaghan, and stars Patrick Wilson as a limo driver about to have the worst night of his life. If you have seen after hours or any other 'worst night of my life' pictures then you know what to expect. Things go from bad to worse and the heroes life is gradually destroyed before he discovers his hidden strength and true purpose and so on. That said its a fun ride however, Especially as Wilsons character, desperate for cash, ferries around a clearly f**** up Chris Pine who seems to be bent on self destruction.
Stretch has a real seen it all before quality that means it'll never be a truly great film, and certainly After Hours did things way better, its not even Joe Carnahan's best picture either (in fact its possibly his worst.) however its a damned fun little picture that's still worth your time.
Old 1st September 2015, 01:44 AM
Ex-member

Busy weekend

The Boogeyman - Seen this years ago remember hating it thought it was really slow and boring, i think it's becuase i was expecting a Halloween/Friday The 13th film and was disappointed. Watched it again on the 88 Films Blu-Ray and really enjoyed it.

X-Ray - another one of the Slasher Classics Blu-Ray's from 88 Films, never seen this one before as a fan of cheesy 80's horror's what's not to love. Fun little film and a great popcorn flick.

Dead Of Winter - another one from the 88 collection, this one seems to be the odd one of the bunch as it isn't really slasher, it's as much a slasher as Misery or The Shining which is the cross i see this as and it's directed by a hollywood director (Arthur Penn) who directed Bonnie & Clyde and The Missouri Breaks. Pretty good film, never seen it before dont think it's a film i would watch again and the twist didn't really make any sense to me maybe i am dumb.

What Lie's Beneath - I like it but i like supernatural films it's slow and not for the easily bored but it's a good film. The budget suprises me a lot i dont no where the money went. I learnt the other day that this was filmed by Zemeckis (Robert) to allow time for Tom Hanks to lose weight and grow a beard for Cast Away.

Tonight after learning of the sad passing of horror legend Wes Craven i decided to dust off my very large wes craven collection and went with.

Swamp Thing - fun little monster film, for some reason i can see Roger Corman producing this, not one of Craven's best but it's good.

Shocker - it's a shocker how underated this film is what's not to like enough kills to satisfy a horror fan and a killer soundtrack, sure it tried to be Elm St 2.0 but with its own take on it i liked it and would of liked to have seen sequels made that Craven planned had it of been successful. Had this of came out before Nightmare i reckon this could of become a franchise. I wish someone would release the uncut version i have heard so much about.
Old 1st September 2015, 06:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Nightmare City

watched both versions on the arrow disc. They have done the very best they could and it shows. I tried the dupe negative with the sharpness on full bore on my tv and it looked nearly as sharp as the other print without the damage. either way I am happy with the release you can see arrow worked hard to remove any damage they could. And at least it isn't a ridicolous squeezed ratio like a strip across the screen like the ec dvd release. Good work Arrow! film 7/10 transfer 7/10 extras 6/10

Madman

Good to see the slasher hit HD. Not much needs to be said about the plot as I'm sure it's very familiar to most here. The Transfer is a big improvement on the darker scenes which could barely be made out on the AB DVD and you get a more clearer look at Madman Marrs. Film 7/10 Transfer 8/10 extras 8/10
Old 1st September 2015, 08:27 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I Dismember Mama (1972)

A classic victim of re-branding, originally titled 'Poor Albert and Little Annie' the film was re-named 'I Dismember Mama' to appeal more to the Grindhouse crowd circuit during the '70s.

Therefore, instead of an all-out hack up the family flick, we get a tale of a misunderstood youth with a chip on his shoulder in regards to his mama who he blames for his institutionalisation. That's not to say that Albert is in fact to be pitied; anything but, as he is a certainly a calculated and often deranged soul.

Aside from some blood-letting on Albert's escape from the asylum and some terrorising and murder of his mama's house-keeper, the film is a quite tame affair and concentrates more on the relationship between Albert and 'Little Annie' who is the house-keeper's daughter and whom he forges an unexpected bond with post killing her mother. This comes across almost as if Albert is trying to live out his lost childhood with Annie. Cue some strange almost 'date like' footage of the two cavorting around for the bulk of the film with Little Annie blissfully unaware that Albert has done away with her mother and the vendetta Albert has against his own dear mama often feeling like a sub-plot.

The notoriety that this film enjoys is however more down to the alternative title and some clever marketing (itself perhaps the truest 'exploitation' of all) rather than the content within.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 1st September 2015, 08:51 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
A girl walks home alone at night.

Like a mixture of Jim Jarmuch, Eraserhead and Abel ferrarers The addiction, AGWHAAN is a strange, occasionally surreal love story to cinema, music and love. Set in the strange netherworld of 'bad town' a grotty out the way burg some place near the Iranian oil fields a young gardener is struggling to make ends meet. He has a nice car, which he spent over five years saving for and...well... that's about it. His dad is a Junkie deep in debt to a local hood who comes to collect one night and takes his car. Heading over there he gets to the dealers place not long after a headscarf wearing vampire has offed him so he takes his car back, as well as all the cash and drugs. Things seem up until one night he's wandering home E'd out of his gourd and encounters the strange vampire girl and things progress from there. I suspect we'll be seeing one or two negative reviews up here as this is not a film for everyone. It has a strange night time feel, like mystery train or Only lovers left alive, I'm genuinely surprised it has an 18, because one or two parts aside I'd have classed it as a 15 as its not outrageously violent. The black and white photography is sublime and the soundtrack is wonderful as well. I would urge anyone with the opportunity to give this one a try.
I rented this a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Like you say, it looks superb and really benefits from the minimalist setting, dialogue and exposition, making the audience think and do the work. In those respects, it reminded me of Let the Right One In, which has a similarly dated and bleak setting, ambiguous relationships and doesn't spoonfeed the audience. It's definitely one of the best horror films so far this century and one I'll buy very soon.
Old 1st September 2015, 09:03 AM
Cult Veteran

I watched a handful over the weekend;

The Decline of Western Civilization
I've seen some x-gen copies of this in the past and it was scuzzy to say the least, the BD upgrade from Shout Factory/Second Sight is great, it's quite soft still because the negative has been long since lost but it adds to the era it was documenting. Great talking-heads interviews, good 'at home with...' segments and some of the bands are great but others are so wasted on stage they can barely play and and it distracts from the film. I enjoyed Fear coming on stage already pissed off and aggressive before even playing and the crowd hated them!

The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years
There isn't much more to be said about about this notorious film! Some have said it was the catalyst that ended glam metal and started grunge, I personally think there was more too it than that... Stand-out performances from Faster Pussycat and Megadeth. Seeing the 'queue' of people at the side of the stage ready to stage dive was embarassing

The Falling
A very odd tale of teenage hysteria that took a while to get to it's destination in a meandering and artistic way, then neglected to let the audience in on the punchline...
That's not to say it's a bad film, I loved it!

Death Becomes Her
Standout performances from Meyrl, Bruce and Goldie I LOVE this film...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st September 2015, 02:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Pit (Jug Face) (2013)

A young girl in an old backwoods community ends up pregnant with her brothers child and discovers she is to be sacrificed to a creature in a pit out in the woods.

A slow burner of a film that i really enjoyed. The central premise of ancient custom and folklore is nicely explored and the idea that when a face is created on a clay jug then that person should be sacrificed to an ancient creature is quite Lovecraftian in it's execution.

The film is clearly low budget yet is so small scale you don't really notice. Larry Fessenden, the director of Wendigo and The Last Winter is one of the actors here, but due to the thick atmosphere and ambiance you'd swear he also directed it too. The film boasts strong performances all round giving the whole thing a very believable air which all culminates in an original and interesting horror movie.

Be warned though. If you thought the aforementioned Fessenden films were not to your taste i'd stay clear of this too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jug_Face_Movie_Poster.jpg (61.6 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!