Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2015, 06:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Police Connection/Mad Bomber

Chuck Connors runs around blowing everything in sight up with bombs,while Neville Brand runs around raping women. A detective who is not adverse to slapping convicts around finally catches Brand who is the only one who can identify Connors eventually after saying his name is George Fromley 800 times on a loop and playing silly buggers with the identikit with rather amusing reminders from our detective friend that if he hasn't got it right he won't be happy.

as the film progresses we have one of the worse acting performances ever commited to celluloid in Brands wife who is more worried about the detective seeing Brands collection of naughty photos and videos of her being a little less dignified than the geeky headmistress look she sports.

Add to that the mention about 2,000 times over a police radio of Connors driving a "Red van" around populated areas which happens to actually be Bright orange. All in all this was a fun yet unintentionally? funny film with some amusingly bad dialogue and facial expressions but with a fairly awarding and vicious end. 7/10

The Wickerman (1973)

I don't need to bother too much on this as every self respecting labber has seen this or at the very least heard of it. The fantastic Christopher Lee and The Well protrayed Woodward do amazing jobs. through in some warbling in the local pub a hand as a scented candle,Britt Ekland thinking she's Ken Bruce & a Bo diddly lookalike we have an amazing film. I'm off to sacrifice my annoying neighbour to The local orchard as I need some nice healthy apples to make a crumble next week! 9/10

Wolfen (1981?)

Excellent transfer but barebones as always from Warner archives. I enjoyed this although it confused me alot and I still at the end could not tell if the wolves were wolves,Humans or ghosts but this is probably more to do with my tourette's and aspergers and learning issues with complex plots than the film itself. 6/10

Rabid Dogs

Fantastic! vicious,amusing at times,crude,uncomfortable with a nice twist ending (if you indeed watch rabid dogs and not kidnapped which will ruin everything) everything we expect of Italian work Bava's best film for me along with Black sabbath. Arrow took a couple of years to get this out after numerous delays but it was worth it! 9/10

A Blade in the Dark

Hitting Hd courtesy of 88. I know many deem Blade as a boring and/or slow giallo/Slasher and I have to agree it does demand both patience and concentration but I think there is enough brutality to hold up and a good cast of Italian Horror Regulars such as Soavi & Frezza. 88's blu looks much much better than I had been led to believe from online reviews.

7/10 for the film and 8/10 for the transfer

Tonight I'll take a look at Executive decision on Blu as well as 88's blastfighter both are new to me.

Also the sender,Nomads,I spit on your grave 1-3,cooties,body,Seconds all await the watch pile (only 2 of which i've seen before)

I'm saving Videodrome & my demons (synapse) steelie till last both still sealed (can't feckin' wait) yay!
Old 4th September 2015, 02:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I have the German hardbox, a decent, atmospheric little chiller. If you enjoy films that can be defined as 'slow burners' it's worth a go...
Lawdy, looked for this for years, I suppose this edition you speak off is now OOP??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th September 2015, 09:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974)

Review in the new reviews thread
https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cul...tml#post461287
Old 5th September 2015, 05:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Sword and the Sorceror (1982)

Sword and the Sorceror, The (1982)
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 5th September 2015, 05:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Bicycle Thieves (1948)

8/10.
Old 5th September 2015, 05:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Maybe I'll do some reviews...

Old 6th September 2015, 12:36 AM
Ex-member

Yesterday i watched 3 random horror comedies for no reason!

Zombeavers - fun little horror comedy, great for a rainy night with some popcorn.

Rubber - WTF what did i watch seriously. If u have always wanted to see a day in the life of a tire or take a shower than here u go. I would explain the plot but there really wasn't one and if i tried u would probably think i have lost the plot.

Dead Snow - great zom/com great slapstick zombie film, really like it need to get the second.

Today i went back to my Craven collection this time 3 that he produced rather than written/directed.

Don't Look Down - i really wasnt expecting much but was pleasantly suprised a good little whodunit.

Carnival Of Souls - erm.... moving on

Them - once again not brillant it's ok got bored with it to be honest nothing new typical of the time.
Old 6th September 2015, 07:59 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicbomb View Post
Yesterday i watched 3 random horror comedies for no reason!

Zombeavers - fun little horror comedy, great for a rainy night with some popcorn.

Rubber - WTF what did i watch seriously. If u have always wanted to see a day in the life of a tire or take a shower than here u go. I would explain the plot but there really wasn't one and if i tried u would probably think i have lost the plot.

Dead Snow - great zom/com great slapstick zombie film, really like it need to get the second.

Today i went back to my Craven collection this time 3 that he produced rather than written/directed.

Don't Look Down - i really wasnt expecting much but was pleasantly suprised a good little whodunit.

Carnival Of Souls - erm.... moving on

Them - once again not brillant it's ok got bored with it to be honest nothing new typical of the time.
I watched Craven do a little acting last night in 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back'. Sadly he didn't do any dick jokes.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 6th September 2015, 08:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

HORROR – A seriously mangled effort from Dante Tomaselli, who gained some cachet in yesteryear's indie circles for being the bright young thing most likely to redeem horror with an injection of low tech bravado. I count myself as a fan - he's made a scattering of interesting, diverting flicks, starting with 'Desecration'. This, from 2002, is his second. Its oddness and awkwardness are apparent from the first few minutes. We see a black ram lurking with intent in the snowy grounds of a colonial house. Inside, a sickly girl faints a lot – her mother strikes exaggerated poses in a red dress and cackles next to a TV that blares static. Back outside, in the snow, a preacher delivers a sermon. A subtitle floats up onscreen - “dreamlike”. No it doesn't, but I wouldn't have been surprised if it had. Things get confusing. A bunch of runaways from some kind of detention centre / rehab / psych ward shoot a guard and drive to the house – that preacher gave them a load of drugs and told them to go there, that's why. The next hour passes in a melange of melting doll's heads, that sickly girl freaking out, the father of preacher who is also a preacher doing a really over the top mesmerism act, lots of disjointed running about, a zombie uprising. I was reminded of much earlier 'does not make sense' genre product ie. 'Help Me, I'm Possessed', or 'A Night to Dismember', if only in the sheer incoherence stakes. But, whereas those old exploitation numbers gonked out by default and limitation, 'Horror' is, at least in its author's minds, weird by design. The urge to be surreal can land one in choppy waters. Forced strangeness often comes across as strained and a bit cringeworthy. Sophomoric artiness is always a pose, and it gives itself away. That's the case here. Sort of. There are quite a few things in 'Horror's' favour. The cinematography in places, the lighting. Some of the imagery – that ram was boss. The interesting problem at the heart of it all is the film's uneasy transits from passages of quite rich atmosphere to full on dumpings of ill conceived shiteness. I'm talking about things like those floating jack o' lantern heads, real passion killers. The strange thing is, this very same ill conceived shiteness also elevates 'Horror' into the realm of UNintentional surrealism, leaving it quite a fractured viewing experience – a three way split between film student pretension, genuine strangeness and, finally, wonky, unknowing badness. To quote myself from earlier in this review, “things get confusing”. Well, is this good or bad? It depends. If you like straight horror then it's probably not very good, but if you like cack-handed but strangely elusive freakiness which is in no way either obviously good nor bad, then it's very, very good. In this sense, despite those earlier comparisons I mentioned, it's probably closer in spirit to an arcane delight such as 'Death Bed'. Anyway, here's to Dante Tomaselli and the power of the human imagination, and here's to 'Horror' – great title, no?
Old 6th September 2015, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

BANDITS FROM SHANTUNG
BEACH OF THE WAR GODS
HAPKIDO
MR VAMPIRE 3
OUTLAW BROTHERS
SECRET RIVALS
bdc, Demoncrat, keirarts and 1 others like this.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."

Last edited by wongfeihung62; 7th September 2015 at 04:37 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!