Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179015Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2015, 08:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Dog Soldiers

Excellent Brit Horror,slightly predictable at times but doesn't spoil the ride. My first visit with this but it won't be my last. 9/10

Shocker.

The Late Great Wes Craven (I still can't get over that Wes Craven can't die!) brought us this in 1989. Walter Skinner from the X files takes time out from demanding David Duchovny Explains himself to dress up as a giant satsuma and kill people,when finally executed for his crimes Skinner sorry "Horace Pinker" pinker really? hops from body to body trying to take pot shots at the son of a victim of his who won't drop it. Pinker has a bad leg but hey it don't matter because he can hop and have fun in parks & with JCB's. Fun film which takes Nightmare on Elm street & injects it with some kind of opium. 7/10

What the Peeper saw.

Britt Ekland likes taking her clothes off for Oliver (Mark Lester) and kissing him passionately (please miss can I have some more) in a controversial film of mind games and perversion with a nasty ending involving some dulux fire engine red & matcbox toy on steroids. slow at times but speeds up (sorry) at the end. 7/10

The Sender

Olive have done a beautiful transfer of this 1982 underrated Gem. Sadly it's barebones couldn't even be bothered with a traditional trailer which is a shame. Even vipco did trailers! even if they were the same ones in the wrong ratio. Anyway a guy trys to commit suicide rather unconvincingly by filling up his jacket with rocks on a crowded Beach then walking into the water,he clearly genuinely wanted to die with an audience just shy of a night at the apollo. Enter Dr Farmer who deals with John Doe who makes her his "play dough" by sending telepathic messages to her as well as odd apparitions including a cool couple of scenes involving glass & blood. A Very enjoyable film which was a pleasure to revisit in HD! 8/10

Nail Gun Massacre

Some inaudible alien dressing up as a commando with an unusually large crash helmet roams around firing nail guns at anyone insight & following up their demise with a cheesy wisecrack,throw in a chainsaw which removes a hand when it fell in the opposite direction,a sheriff with the IQ of a crushed wasp & a very bizarre motive & killer & you have yourselves a fun but uneventful 82 Minutes. 4/10

Blastfighter

A Mish mash of Italian films with the soundtracks from at least 3 other italian Films. Not sure what to say really it made little sense but it wasn't bad. 5/10
Old 6th September 2015, 09:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Currently rewatching...

Last edited by bdc; 6th September 2015 at 09:36 PM.
Old 6th September 2015, 09:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Sunday Shameless!

#15 - The Designated Victim (La Vittima Designata) (1971) This is one of those films that if it hadn't been for Shameless I'd have never heard of it let alone seen. Its not great but its far from bad.

#16 - Strip Nude For Your Killer (Nude per l'assassino) (1975) Starring to gorgeous Edwige, (a forum favourite I think). Damn those 70's chicks, theres so much undergrowth I expected David Bellamy to make a sudden appearance!
Old 6th September 2015, 10:14 PM
Ex-member

Wrong Turn 3
Wrong Turn 4

Couple of good gory horror films.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th September 2015, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicbomb View Post
Wrong Turn 3
Wrong Turn 4

Couple of good gory horror films.
As discussed with MTDS. Part 3's poor but Part 4 is almost a classic of direct to dvd supermarket horror.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th September 2015, 09:12 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Impulse (1974)

Impulse opens to a black & white montage of death by sword impalement as a young boy kills a man in an attempt to defend his mother's honour. Flash forward and the meek young killer is now all grown up and also happens to be a sleazy con-man played by William Shatner in his usual gleefully hammy OTT fashion.

Shatner is also partial to a bit of psychotic murder and mayhem thanks in no small part to his childhood trauma, and the women in his life all seem to come a cropper thanks to his exploitative and ultimately murderous nature.

The high-light of the film is easily Shatner vs. the actor who played Oddjob in Goldfinger fighting in a car wash and it is worth watching for this scene alone... but pretty much only this scene.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 09:37 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

If you like Shatner,you should check out (if you haven't already) one of his weirdest films: Incubus .
Old 7th September 2015, 12:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I watched....

Batman Returns .
What an odd film. 3 endings I counted. Having always said "Who the heck would vote for that thing anyhow", I know see that life having overtaken art in the form of one D Trump...come ye back laddie hahaha NOT. The characters all seem to be split personalities (intentional?), and thankfully nae sodding Prince!!

Still great to see real FX though.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th September 2015, 02:58 PM
Cult Veteran

Interstellar

Wow... My head is hurting from this one. Great performances from all involved, the script was good in terms of dialogue, but the story - what the hell haha!
The last 30 mins threw me for a loop.
The action had me on the edge of my seat, tidal waves, robots, Matt Damon! Great film, didn't feel as long as it is either, close to 3 hours flew by. Soundtrack is awesome as well, Hans Zimmer borrowing from Philip Glass and 2001!

God Help The Girl

The polar opposite of a 3hr Sci-Fi epic head-wrecker... a homegrown musical based on songs written by Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian and directed by him too? If you're not a fan of the quirky Scottish band then you might struggle with this as it is a musical, but i love musicals and i love the lyrics of Murdoch. A lot of people have criticised the film for glossing over serious issues but in my opinion they get a fair amount of screen time and anything more might be a bit heavy handed!
It's on Netflix if you want to take a chance - not for everybody!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th September 2015, 05:29 PM
Cult Addict

Grimm had an all night zombie marathon in Didsbury at their Z-studios. As my mate Adam was supplying Blu-rays of several of the films screened we got free passes. They screened:

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Still one of the better quality remakes and Zack Snyders best film, DOD reworks the film to the new millennium with fast, Crack head zombies who run, climb and jump. Romero's is still the best as any 'message' the remake has is lost in the noise but as a 90+ minute slice of mayhem it works superbly!

Nightmare city

More fast moving Zombie fun, this time with a sleazier, trashier edge. This one features zombies shooting guns, wielding hammers and other clubbing weapons and ripping off girls tops. Say what you want about Lenzi's sense of good taste and decorum but he knows how to entertain. Some of the audience unfamiliar with the film were a little bemused but it went down well enough

Living dead at the Manchester Morgue

Another early classic, this one from before Romeros Dawn of the Dead, most here will be familiar with the film. Some at the screening were not but seemed to dig it. One of my personal favourites, Arthur Kennedys drunken bastard performance won the most audience cheers. Interestingly the creening was not far from the place that they shot the exterior hospital scenes!!!!

Night of the creeps.

Fred dekkers homage to 50's B-movies and horror cinema had a 'mixed' reaction however Tom Atkins really carries this picture and its pretty much fun in the best sense of the word. Some great almost cringe inducing gags and plenty of splatter.

28 days later

Coffee and tirdeness really setting in, Boyles film still holds up well. The second half is not as good as the first but the film is still a pretty grim and well paced slice of Zombie cinema.

Day of the dead

If you haven't seen Romeros third and arguably best zombie picture then f*** you. Richard Liberty is great as Dr Logan and Howard Sherman deserved an oscar as Bub. As grimm as a film can gegt it was a perfect end to the evening.

Like this? Share it using the links below!