Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 7th May 2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 239898)
With every additional similar review I read like this I feel a bit more broken and old.

Hahaha! What didn't you like about it?

Gojirosan 7th May 2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 239899)
Hahaha! What didn't you like about it?

I didn't hate it, but I thought it was mediocre at best.

The dialogue was clunky and often made me cringe, the "plot" was poorly developed, the attempts at humour fell flat most of the time, Chris Hemsworth is the worst actor in the world this side of Hayden Christensen, it was vastly too long, the action scenes were boring - all fast cuts and camera swings, nothing actually shown...

Better than the truly appalling Thor, but nowhere near as good as Iron Man. Not even as good as the middling Captain America.

Scarlett and Cobie were delightful though.

I just it takes something really special for me to not be bored by Big Dumb Action Films.

Baseball Fury 7th May 2012 11:30 PM

Just got back from Silent House. What a crock of shit. That's all.

Pete 8th May 2012 01:42 AM

Recently watched:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tor_poster.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...xcNPT7_vGQr2pwhttp://store.sinistercinema.com/catalog/H449.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/im...bnQRsC2koSbhywhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._End_movie.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/im...YTzrmk6KIq004g

Kyle 8th May 2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 239725)
If its the Batman film The Dark Knight you mean i would switch the emoticons around.

The Dark Knight :sleep:

Touch of Evil :rockon:

sorry but yeah thats what i thought, i tried touch of evil but was bored most the way through, noir must bbe a genre i wont get into :)

last night i watched

batman forever

snip- short film SNIP [HD] on Vimeo

the bunny game - can see why it got rejected by the bbfc
THE BUNNY GAMEtrailer - YouTube

keirarts 8th May 2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 239903)
I didn't hate it, but I thought it was mediocre at best.

The dialogue was clunky and often made me cringe, the "plot" was poorly developed, the attempts at humour fell flat most of the time, Chris Hemsworth is the worst actor in the world this side of Hayden Christensen, it was vastly too long, the action scenes were boring - all fast cuts and camera swings, nothing actually shown...

Better than the truly appalling Thor, but nowhere near as good as Iron Man. Not even as good as the middling Captain America.

Scarlett and Cobie were delightful though.

I just it takes something really special for me to not be bored by Big Dumb Action Films.

One might suggest avoiding the multplexes then. Joss whedon is one of the few film-makers (IMO) bothering to make an effort at presenting big-budget action/fantasy/horror with a bit of smarts. For my money Avengers was head over heels better than a lot of blockbusters out there. Only prometheus and The new dark knight look to be anywhere near as good. Personally i'd be down manchester at the cornerhouse (if I had the cash for train fare!) As for the most part i'm in agreement about a lot of the big blockbusters in general.

Demoncrat 8th May 2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 239721)
RTK is very good film
can't find a dvd of MBTS though.....

Really?
Men Behind the Sun DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Hsu Gou, Tie Long Jin, Zhaohua Mei, Zhe Quan, Gang Wang, Runsheng Wang, Dai Yao Wu, Andrew Yu, Tun Fei Mou, Fu Chi, Hung Chu, Dun Jing Teng, Mei Liu, Wen Yuan Mou: Film & TV

Demoncrat 8th May 2012 10:22 AM

Rewatched The Grudge. Still an effective film imo. Remembered how much i hated the redo. But Bey Logan knows **** all about horror conventions sadly so wouldn't recommend the commentary on the UK Cine Asia dvd. :mmph:

artisturn 8th May 2012 02:12 PM

The Amazing Transparent Man (1960)

Susan Foreman 8th May 2012 03:05 PM

Just watched 'Twilight: Eclipse'

You will be glad to know that Jacob spent almost the whole movie with his shirt off!

Oh - it also features bloodless decapitations!

VicDakin 8th May 2012 03:59 PM

Which version of At Midnight I Will Take Your Soul (1964),was that Pete?

James Morton 8th May 2012 04:03 PM

TIMBER FALLS - not bad
VIDOCQ - brilliant French horror fantasy

VicDakin 8th May 2012 05:31 PM

What films have you seen recently?

2 Attachment(s)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 240115)

Did you like Halloween 2 Vic?

I thought the first one was very good, but wow, was the sequel shite.

I felt Midnight Meat Train was let down badly by the CGI blood.

DaveJ.W 8th May 2012 05:59 PM

Cold Prey (2006)

*** out of ****

VicDakin 8th May 2012 06:01 PM

helloween

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 240118)

Yeah I've always liked Halloween 2,for some reason I luv the credits at the start with the skull in the pumpkin

Kyle 8th May 2012 06:04 PM

today i watched

Wound (2010) - IMDb

Amer (2009) - IMDb

Amsterdamned (1988) - IMDb

Tenebrae (1982) - IMDb

James Morton 8th May 2012 06:15 PM

believe me i have looked around and had different reviews/labels from sites
i presume the dvd on amazonuk is UNCUT
read elsewhere there are cut versions
thats why i stated i can't find it - but uncut

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th May 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 240128)
Yeah I've always liked Halloween 2,for some reason I luv the credits at the start with the skull in the pumpkin

Sorry, i thought that was the cover of Zombies Halloween 2. Never seen it before and i didn't look close enough.

Carpenter's Halloween 2 is a film i watch every year.

DaveJ.W 8th May 2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 240118)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 240128)

I think 'Halloween II' '81 is a dam good sequel. Obviously it's not in the same league of filmmaking as the original but it's more part of the early 80's gory golden age of the slasher which the first film was one of the main forerunnners of and it's easily one of the better movies of the sub-genre from that period.

My feature article -

Halloween II (1981) - A Worthy Companion Piece to the original or Not?

oaxaca 8th May 2012 07:40 PM

Watched three films recently, all haunting in very different ways:

Ugetsu Monogatari (Mizaguchi, 1953)
The Burmese Harp (Ichikawa, 1956)
The English Patient (Minghella, 1996)

Each film is set during a war, too, coincidentally.

sawyer6 8th May 2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 240173)
Watched three films recently, all haunting in very different ways:

Ugetsu Monogatari (Mizaguchi, 1953)
The Burmese Harp (Ichikawa, 1956)
The English Patient (Minghella, 1996)

Each film is set during a war, too, coincidentally.

I'm planning to watch The Burmese Harp this week,how was it?

oaxaca 8th May 2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 240175)
I'm planning to watch The Burmese Harp this week,how was it?

Very well directed, gripping all the way through and quite moving. Difficult to describe really. Its certainly the most war-orientated film of the three I mentioned, set mostly in the Burmese jungle to begin with and then in a concentration camp. Not depressing though, quite uplifting. Very pretty to look at too, lovely cinematography and a very decent transfer by Eureka. Oh and it features lots of singing! (but don't let that put you off) :p

sawyer6 8th May 2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 240182)
Very well directed, gripping all the way through and quite moving. Difficult to describe really. Its certainly the most war-orientated film of the three I mentioned, set mostly in the Burmese jungle to begin with and then in a concentration camp. Not depressing though, quite uplifting. Very pretty to look at too, lovely cinematography and a very decent transfer by Eureka. Oh and it features lots of singing! (but don't let that put you off) :p

I'll actually watch the dvd as I haven't bought the blu-ray yet and I love singing in Japanese :tongue1:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th May 2012 08:49 PM

I just finished the two commentary tracks on Demons, which are complementary and worth your time. The director's one is predominantly in English but the cast & crew one is entirely in Italian and subtitled.

They aren't the best commentaries I've ever heard, but they are still interesting.

oaxaca 8th May 2012 09:19 PM

Just coming to the end of THE ENGLISH PATIENT, its the second time I've seen it now and it was even better than I remembered it. Fully deserving of its 9 Oscars. A stunning and enthralling epic as good as any David Lean production.

sawyer6 8th May 2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 240211)
Just coming to the end of THE ENGLISH PATIENT, its the second time I've seen it now and it was even better than I remembered it. Fully deserving of its 9 Oscars. A stunning and enthralling epic as good as any David Lean production.

It has indeed the David Lean feel!

oaxaca 8th May 2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 240214)
It has indeed the David Lean feel!

Definitely. I'd like to watch it back-to-back some day with A Passage to India.:popcorn:

Cinema at its finest.

artisturn 9th May 2012 05:45 AM

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...ortureshow.jpg

Three on a Meathook (1973)

This is a film that I have heard of but never seen so when I saw it for sale on a double feature disc for ten bucks I was all over it like maggots on rotten meat.

It looked like a bad vhs dub but I found the quality of the bad transfer added to the grindhouse feel of the film and did not detract too much from the movie.

This film just screams 1970's drive in cheese. Not as gory as I thought it would be and features special effects by Pat Patterson who made the horrible but enjoyable Dr.Gore movie. Not the greatest film but I was glad to finally be able to see this.

Demoncrat 9th May 2012 09:38 AM

The Bride With White Hair (1993, Ronny Yu)
Borrowed this from mate, well worth it!! Leslie Cheung flying all around the place, a conjoined villian, and slightly mad syntax in the subtitles....(quel shock)

RECOMMENDED!!!

Will try and get the sequel (he's got both etc) tomorrow!!

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th May 2012 09:39 AM

Watched Child's Play last night. A classic - you can't go wrong here!

Pete 9th May 2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 240083)
Which version of At Midnight I Will Take Your Soul (1964),was that Pete?

The Anchor Bay UK one, which looks and sounds like shit.

PaulD 9th May 2012 12:55 PM

Watched Urban Explorers last night. Distinctly lacking in originality but still well made and easily holds your attention. Lots of gore and some lovely cinematography in it too for a film of that nature, if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Aurora75 10th May 2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodes (Post 235244)
cool let me know what you think :)

Really enjoyed it, thanks for the heads up. Stylish and beautifully shot.

keirarts 10th May 2012 02:35 PM

ghost keeper.

Fantastic slow burning horror with plenty of menace. Well worth picking up while you can!

James Morton 10th May 2012 03:30 PM

on the horror channel saw SHADOW DEAD RIOT and THE CARD PLAYER
seen them before, but they were good entertainment
SDR had laughable sfx because of its low budget
TCP wasn't a great Argento film, but ok

Nordicdusk 10th May 2012 06:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 62772

Great film with great visuals ill have to upgrade to Blu Ray very soon.

keirarts 10th May 2012 06:10 PM

Network countess dracula + commentary.

Still not my favourite from hammer by a long way but still watchable. (and not as bad as some of hammers later efforts) Great commentary as well, now I need to check out my mgm copy for the alternate commentary track and see how the quality holds up!.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th May 2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 240722)
Network countess dracula + commentary.

Still not my favourite from hammer by a long way but still watchable. (and not as bad as some of hammers later efforts) Great commentary as well, now I need to check out my mgm copy for the alternate commentary track and see how the quality holds up!.

I too have both copies, didn't know the commentaries were different.

Kyle 10th May 2012 06:15 PM

watched Sherlock Holmes last night, loved it :)