Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2015, 08:28 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I just watched mine on that scene too, no issues, Nancy walks up the hill to the police station and looks through the window, no jumps.

As far as I know the standalone disc is the same as disc one in the collection, so perhaps you can pick up a used one from cex or something?
Yes that's the bit. She bends down to look in the window and it jumps about 30 seconds. On the PS3 it's a really smooth jump as well weirdly, on my blu player upstairs it freezes and jerks around for a bit before jumping.
Oh well assuming it's identical I'll pick up the individual release as you suggest.
Old 5th October 2015, 08:36 AM
Cult Addict

Big Game. From the makers of Rare Exports (a film I've yet to see). When Air Force One is shot down over Finland, the President of the United States is left stranded in the remote wilderness. At the same time, a young boy named Oskari is embarking on a coming of age ritual into said wilderness to hunt for deer and thus become a man.
Oskari finds the Presidents escape pod and has to help him survive both the environment and the terrorists that brought his plane down.
Samuel L.Jackson plays the President as a bit of a wimp, i imagine as a means to make the 13 year old Oskari seem more heroic.
The pair have great chemistry and the film has some great humour.
Also the effects and action set pieces aren't bad either considering this isn't a particularly big budget picture. The actor playing Oskari was very good and could be one to watch in future.
Old 5th October 2015, 02:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Turbo Kid (2014, Whissel, Whissel, Simard)
After the raft of 80s flicks that I've been perusing, this is a high recommend. Ostensibly a quest/love story/revenge tale, this has a rather spiffing ST and if yr well versed in 80s DTV, you will apprieciate it even more!! Like a blend of BMX Bandits & Bad Taste, this Canuck/Kiwi production is a must imho....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th October 2015, 02:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Continuing my October horrorfest I watched...

Detention

Hmm, I don't know what to think about this one, it's kind of a horror slash teen movie slash time travelling sci-fi slash knowing meta-pisstake. It easily has the worst opening 15 mins of any film I've watched recently, I almost turned it off, but I persevered because I had an exact time slot before This Is England started and I'd already wasted 15 minutes of it

Anyway, it's not as bad as the opening would have you believe, it in fact had some moments of sheer genius. In particular a moment so meta the cast of the film watched a movie which in turn watched a movie which in turn watched a movie - it's better than I'm describing it!!

So I rated it 2.5 in Letterboxd immediately after watching it, i enjoyed some bits of the movie, hated others and the bigger picture is perhaps it tries to be too clever by cramming everything in, a bit of stylistic editing could work wonders on this one... I get the feeling it might fare a better score on a re-watch?!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th October 2015, 03:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Continuing my October horrorfest I watched...

Detention

Hmm, I don't know what to think about this one, it's kind of a horror slash teen movie slash time travelling sci-fi slash knowing meta-pisstake. It easily has the worst opening 15 mins of any film I've watched recently, I almost turned it off, but I persevered because I had an exact time slot before This Is England started and I'd already wasted 15 minutes of it

Anyway, it's not as bad as the opening would have you believe, it in fact had some moments of sheer genius. In particular a moment so meta the cast of the film watched a movie which in turn watched a movie which in turn watched a movie - it's better than I'm describing it!!

So I rated it 2.5 in Letterboxd immediately after watching it, i enjoyed some bits of the movie, hated others and the bigger picture is perhaps it tries to be too clever by cramming everything in, a bit of stylistic editing could work wonders on this one... I get the feeling it might fare a better score on a re-watch?!

See Anguish
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th October 2015, 03:14 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
See Anguish
This one??

Angustia (1987) - IMDb
Demoncrat likes this.

Old 5th October 2015, 03:26 PM
Cult Master

Sinister_Quad_Final.jpg

Ellison is a true crime writer who for many years was at the top of his game but the last few years he has had no success and finances are putting a strain on his marriage. In an attempt to reignite his career Ellison takes his family to live in the house of a murdered family in a small town. During the moving in process while putting some boxes the attic Ellison comes across a box labelled home moives inside he finds reels and a projector. On these film reels Ellison finds home movies of various murders. The more he watches the more he starts to loose his mind and strange things start happening around the house. Is what he is seeing on these films coming to life or is the pressures of Ellisons work finally getting on top of him.

This is a really below average horror film i found no atmosphere or feeling of tension the jump scares were juvenile and laughable like alot of films like this the idea is very interesting but the execution is terrible. The characters in the family were the usual the career driven father the wingy daughter the snot nosed son and the moaning wife or maybe thats just family life in reality im not sure . I did jump once while watching it but it was because i feel asleep on the chair and someone screamed in the film and i nearly lost my life so if you want to get something out of this film turn up the sound and turn of the lights and fall asleep on the couch you may get a few scares out of it.

One other point the evil spirit / killer looks too much like the guy from slipknot so when i first saw him i just laughed. This was just not for me like i said i liked the idea but as the minutes went by my interest got less ad less and it took two sittings to get through this which very rarely happens to me.

123419__art-carolina-camino-mick-thompson-slipknot-man-mask_p.jpg
Guy from Slipknot just incase people dont know.

3/10
Old 5th October 2015, 03:42 PM
Cult Veteran

I enjoyed Sinister when I watched it, but looking at other people's reviews most people didn't like it at all. Saying that, I don't think I have any inclination to re-watch any time soon.
keirarts likes this.

Old 5th October 2015, 03:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've watched it a few times and really enjoy it, which I can't say for some of the more recent horrors (It Follows/The Babadook etc)
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th October 2015, 03:49 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've watched it a few times and really enjoy it, which I can't say for some of the more recent horrors (It Follows/The Babadook etc)
I know you liked it your the one that told me to buy it

Rik, Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!