Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2015, 10:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Philadelphia Experiment (2012) - A typical Syfy channel movie with the sort of half realised special effects that you come to expect with these things. Stars Nicholas Lea as the hapless Navy LT who is transported through time along with his ship. Malcolm McDowell pops up as he invariably does in these cheapo films, and the star of the original 1984 picture, Michael Paré, also stars as a henchman.
keirarts, trebor8273 and Vipp like this.
Old 9th October 2015, 11:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Human Centipede III

Camp, colourful and riotous - perfect antidote to HCII. Like how II is revealed to be a movie and that both baddies from I & II are co-stars - far exceeded my expectations
Old 10th October 2015, 08:10 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I don't think it will be the same watching subtitled films whilst dry.

Two old favourites (Celine and Julie Go Boating (1974) & Les Diaboliques (1955)) and two new ones, A Tale of Springtime (1990) and Morgiana (1972) which is an absolute dark, vibrant, exciting gothic delight - highly recommended!
Eating chips in the bath, thought I was the only one that did that!

I saw The Martian over the weekend. A modern, hard science take on Robinson Crusoe on mars as Matt Damon finds himself trapped on the Red planet and must use whatever is available to survive. After the god-awful The councillor and the visually stunning but messy as hell Prometheus this is a great return to form from Ridley scott. Its a great slice of sci-fi with some great acting and plenty of tension. My only real bug-bare is that half the characters seem to discuss things or deliver monologues through mouthfuls of food.
Old 10th October 2015, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched the Herzog version of Nosferatu. I only have an older Anchor Bay DVD with the German Audio, but unfortunately the subtitles were garbage. There were long periods of German speaking with nothing in the screen, and then 2 lines of subtitles when only a few words were spoken.

Therefore I didn't really get what was going on but it looked great I need to pick up the BFI set I think.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th October 2015, 11:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Eating chips in the bath, thought I was the only one that did that!
It felt like the thing to do, full-on decadence. Note the egg cup full of ketchup.

Demoncrat, keirarts and Graeme73 like this.
Old 10th October 2015, 07:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Nail Gun Massacre (1985)

Sometimes a film doesn't have to be good to be good.

What Nail Gun Massacre lacks in finesse and plausibility it makes up for in out of tune country rock and occasional electro, denim wardrobes, huge belt buckles, an under qualified, lackadaisical doctor, a disaffected cop, and plumped up areolas.

It doesn't bother with a gradual lead in to the plot, more wham, bam straight in to the revenge. Which seems incredibly random even though you know from the get go what is going on.

It's the type of film you can enjoy with friends as it provides plenty of belly laughs. You'll find yourself questioning How there can be do much blood when surely a high pressure gun would wedge in to create a plug with minimum seepage? How can the killer have any peripheral vision with all that tape on their mask? Why is the safety not on that guys chainsaw? And why is the chainsaw belt too tight? Surely he knows basic maintenance? Unless cutting wood is really a euphemism.

Of course who really wants reality in a horror film? NGM is fun, implausible nonsense.

Starring Bob Carolgees, Liza Minnelli, The Miliband brothers, Kate Bush and my old gynaecologist.
Old 10th October 2015, 09:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Nail Gun Massacre (1985)

Sometimes a film doesn't have to be good to be good.

What Nail Gun Massacre lacks in finesse and plausibility it makes up for in out of tune country rock and occasional electro, denim wardrobes, huge belt buckles, an under qualified, lackadaisical doctor, a disaffected cop, and plumped up areolas.

It doesn't bother with a gradual lead in to the plot, more wham, bam straight in to the revenge. Which seems incredibly random even though you know from the get go what is going on.

It's the type of film you can enjoy with friends as it provides plenty of belly laughs. You'll find yourself questioning How there can be do much blood when surely a high pressure gun would wedge in to create a plug with minimum seepage? How can the killer have any peripheral vision with all that tape on their mask? Why is the safety not on that guys chainsaw? And why is the chainsaw belt too tight? Surely he knows basic maintenance? Unless cutting wood is really a euphemism.

Of course who really wants reality in a horror film? NGM is fun, implausible nonsense.

Starring Bob Carolgees, Liza Minnelli, The Miliband brothers, Kate Bush and my old gynaecologist.
My favourite part is probably the 'death by nail in the elbow' scene. A close second would be the two guys who are shooting nail guns at each other one moment but, when the killer turns up with a nail gun, they are suddenly petrified of the implement!
Old 11th October 2015, 01:22 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
TERROR CREATURES FROM THE GRAVE
Plague carriers and vengeance from beyond the grave are the main ingredients in this sometimes gruesome Italian horror from the 60s.
Severin's print, while perfectly watchable, is a little ropey on occasions ( there is severe print damage at one point ). However, if this is the only way of seeing films like these, then I'm perfectly ok with that. A nice remastered box set of Italian gothics would be neat.
I really like Terror Creatures. I have it on a Mill Creek set and have watched it dozens of times. (Seriously - it's a great film to fall asleep to) The opening scene of the guy in the bar is quite effective but in relation to the rest of the movie is actually out of place. The story is a slow burner but i find the dialogue carries it along fairly quickly. The idea of plague spreaders polluting the water (What an eerie song by the way) then having their hands cut off and mounted for all to see is rather macabre.

I also love the opening title music. It wouldn't be out of place as one of James Bernard's Hammer themes.

Is the Severin print a step up? Is it dvd quality, or vhs standard like the version i have?
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 11th October 2015, 07:03 AM
Cult Addict

I watched Cannibal Apocalypse on the Horror Channel last night, I never thought I would see the day that it played on T.V. I can still remember the first time in the early eighties seeing the old Replay video with the groovy artwork and the double X certificate on the back. Happy days.

Last edited by mr 420; 11th October 2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11th October 2015, 11:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Murder-Rock: Dancing Death (1984)

Well I finally got the chance to watch Murder Rock as Demdike loaned me his copy. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, which doesn't mean I'm disappointed.

First of the title, I like including the Dancing Death bit as I think Murder Rock is a bit lame, unfortunately the DD's leave me a bit tongue tied so when speaking out loud I usually pronounce it Dancing Deaf which is a different film entirely.

I had hoped for more gaudiness, over the top dancing and a wilder soundtrack. There was dancing (not always in sync which was somewhat annoying, they would have barely made the chorus line) and a catchy theme song that was played constantly which meant that eventually it started to sound more Chas 'n' Dave than anything and I like CnD but this was annoying. The film wasn't a Fame: The Murder Years that I was hoping for.

Now after that it might seem strange for me to say that I really liked it but I did, it's actually a neat little classy thriller. But last night I just wanted trash.

Like this? Share it using the links below!