Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2015, 08:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Bad Dreams. A young woman wakes up from a 13 year coma caused by a mass murder/suicide in a crackpot religious cult, only to find herself haunted by visions of the dead cult leader, who still wants her to join them... and then the people around her start dying in bizarre "suicides". Jennifer Rubin is an attractive heroine, Richard Lynch is creepy as the cult leader and Harris Yulin (Quentin Travers from Buffy) always adds a touch of class, and while I also appreciate the fact that while the film initially seems like an Elm Street rip-off it actually turns out to be something else entirely, this was still not much more than pretty average.
Old 14th November 2015, 11:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Shadow Walkers (2014)

Three friends attend the hottest party of the year at the end of the final semester.

I'm saying no more. Shadow Walkers is a very rare breed of film in today's saturated direct to dvd horror market in that it's utterly original and completely intriguing in it's premise.

It's quite weird in places but in a good way and i was occasionally bemused and also amused yet i was completely fascinated by proceedings and at times desperate to get to the end to find out how it all worked out.

I picked this up at Poundland a few weeks ago (complete with 3D slipcase) and really recommend it to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81Z9L55fHGL._SL1500_.jpg (89.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 15th November 2015, 12:00 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Shadow Walkers (2014)

Three friends attend the hottest party of the year at the end of the final semester.

I'm saying no more. Shadow Walkers is a very rare breed of film in today's saturated direct to dvd horror market in that it's utterly original and completely intriguing in it's premise.

It's quite weird in places but in a good way and i was occasionally bemused and also amused yet i was completely fascinated by proceedings and at times desperate to get to the end to find out how it all worked out.

I picked this up at Poundland a few weeks ago (complete with 3D slipcase) and really recommend it to all.
This is on Amazon Prime for those who can't afford a quid!
Old 15th November 2015, 12:03 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
This is on Amazon Prime for those who can't afford a quid!
Bugger!

Everyone will now watch it and come on here and tell me how ****ing deluded i am.
Old 15th November 2015, 12:19 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Bugger!

Everyone will now watch it and come on here and tell me how ****ing deluded i am.
We don't have to watch the film to know that.
Old 15th November 2015, 10:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Signal ( 2014)
the-signal.jpg

Been meaning watch this for quite a while and finally did last night and was mightily impressed. I love unique, thought provoking films that stretch your imagination, TEST your thought processes, ask ' what if' and get you see plausibility in the fantastic and this film did this for me.

There is a nice balance in this film of action scenes, suspense, bizarreness and good story line.
signal explosion.jpg

Several times throughout the film I thought I had a handle on proceedings only to change my mind. It keeps you guessing (well it did me!) from the off when several young people try track down a hacker who had messed with their college server then it goes rapidly down the twilight zone rabbit hole.

Talking of rabbit holes, Laurence Fishburne always steals the scenes whatever he is in when he just looks and talks calmly and slowly, he certainly has screen presence and brings this in bucket loads here, very eerie.
signal table.jpg

If you have not seen this, like Sci-Fi with an original script, appreciate when a small budget has been utilised very well and like guessing at proceedings then do yourself a favour and watch it (I am sure most on here have already. Recommended.
Old 15th November 2015, 12:09 PM
Cult Addict

DATELINE DIAMONDS

An oddball mix of cop flick, family drama, teenybopper fandom, pirate radio and Patsy Rowlands!

However the big draw of this film from 1965 is a live performance from The Small Faces belting it out near the films climax. The rest of the film is all a bit rubbish in a very English but likable way. Worth a look for die-hard pop culture fans.
Old 15th November 2015, 12:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Tales of Halloween:- The opening credits sequence was amazing. The movie itself I was slightly disappointed with, tbh. Too many stories in too short a running time. Stand out feature for me, was Neil Marshall's - BAD SEED!

Not as good as TRICK 'R TREAT or CREEPSHOW; but miles ahead of CHILLERAMA. I'll give the movie another spin for sure, maybe it needs to be viewed more than once or even twice to fully appreciate what's up on screen.

Loved the cameos, though!
Old 15th November 2015, 05:02 PM
Cult Master

WrongTurn4_teaserB-1.jpg

A group of annoying self centred collage friends take a trip out in the the wilds to find a cabin for a weekend of partying and general douchebaggery. Once they all meet up at the designated meeting point they must complete the remained of their trek by snow mobile across the snow covered abandoned countryside. Fearing there is a massive snow storm on the way they ignore the warnings as self centred annoying douchebags usually do they set off into the unknown which obviously will come back to bit them in the ass soon.

When night starts to creep in they still have not reached their destination but conveniently they are just in view of an abandoned sanitarium which is the perfect place to to be trapped for the night. Once inside the party begins and soon people are naked and racing around in wheelchairs and causing general destruction to the place unaware of what danger is lurking in the depths of the Sanitarium.

It may seem like from what i have said that Wrong Turn 4 is a steaming pile but its actually a lot of fun. The characters are annoying but that makes it even better because you get a satisfaction from the kills that you do not get from likeable characters. There is plenty of great gore to satisfy all gorehounds here and a lot of fun to be had. I was not overly keen of the look of the inbreds but thats only a minor complaint from an otherwise fun time. overly keen of the look of the inbreds but thats only a minor complaint from an otherwise fun time. Every horror cliche is present here but if you can look past that then you may just enjoy this one.

7/10
Old 15th November 2015, 09:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Brood. Art Hindle and Oliver Reed star in this creepy-as-hell late 70s horror-thriller from director David Cronenberg (The Fly, Videodrome, Scanners). Hindle is a father increasingly concerned for the safety of his little girl with her unstable mother, who is undergoing "radical" psychotherapy with a renowned shrink (Reed), who he reckons is a self-promoting quack. When his wife's parents are brutally murdered by a bizarre deformed child/dwarf/creature, his concerns continue to grow - and the terror is just beginning... Seriously messed up creepy weirdo 70s horror that I've never seen before, and absolutely loved to bits! I was also entertained to see Susan Hogan as the girl's teacher, who I recognise as Anton's mom in the 80s Little Vampire series.
My face during the climax:
Cracking stuff!

Like this? Share it using the links below!