LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2010, 11:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
The standard uncut DVD still available on yes-asia

http://www.yesasia.com/global/kill-b...0-en/info.html

I just seen The Nameless, its a cool spainsh thriller. The twist ending was pretty cool.
Only thing I didnt like was it lacked the atmosphere thats in most Spanish supernatural movies.
Nekro my friend you are a ****ing genius, cheers for the heads up.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

No problemo
I am tempted meself at that price. It was £8 before xmas so should have bought it then

I might wait for the Jap uncut bluray though as waiting for the whole bloody affair could take years.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 25th January 2010, 11:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

damn it i need a blu-ray player. thabk god for credit cards.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:04 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I thought Kill Bill was absolute cack. There was nothing redeeming about it, except for how hot Daryl Hannah looked. IMO anyhow.

The Funhouse
Never seen this 'scoped before - what a revelation the Arrow DVD is! I all ready had a lot of regard for it but now I have seen the photography fully I have even more respect for it. A very decent flick.

The Burning
Again, a revelation. Although I have sat through uncut prints of this film many times before, I feel like I have only just seen it properly for the first time. The R1 MGM release is a beautiful, bright and clear print. So many things had been lost in shadows and I have seen them for the first time. A damned decent film, I think, certainly better than Friday The 13th. A fine achievement in the world of low budget slashers/killer in the woods films.

The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe
I was expecting this to be grim viewing, and the opening forty minutes or so did not let me down. Tedious, dull and formulaic rendering of the much loved story. I'm not a Lewis fan, but was intrigued to see what the film was like. I wisecracked my way through the start only for the film to pick up slightly once the action kicks in! OK, so it's still pretty bad, but at least it was now watchably bad. The sentimentality of heroism schtick is laid on with a trowel and at times you think it is going to collapse, but it just about manages to get to the end without inducing projectile vomiting. It's a bad film, but far less bad than I expected or the first chunk would have you believe.
Old 26th January 2010, 05:52 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post

I thought it was a classic Brit sleazer!

Everyone to their own I suppose.
Maybe "awful" is a bit harsh........ but it was more unintentional laughs than creepy chills for me. The acting was pretty bad most of the time but I did like the final image when the camera pulls out for the reveal.

As you so rightly say though, reaps. Everyone to their own. That's the wonderful thing about forums. Opinions can be shared and (hopefully) no one takes offence.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 26th January 2010, 07:23 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched one of Naschy's later films last night: Rojo Sangre and then watched Arrow's Sleepless.

As for the Kill Bill debate, I probably love it and hate it in equal measure, on the one hand it's a fine, modern mish-mash of classic (and er... 'borrowed') material interlaced with some well choreographed but gritty violence, black comedy, and gore-soaked explosive action... on the other hand it's an arrogantly plagiarised Tarantino fan-boy wet-dream; so I'm torn!
Old 26th January 2010, 08:18 AM
Ex-member

Re: "Killer's Moon".

It's certainly a film that splits people and that's because it's actually unlike any other british exploitation film ever made. It's just a strange and warped creature. Has huge faults but also huge trashy, bizarre moments of mental genius.
Gotta love the 3 legged avenger dog.

"The Hurt Locker"

Superb war film making.

No treasonous propaganda, no false-liberal handwringing...all 'for or against' politics are left behind and at last Hollywood has made a film simply about the men in combat and how they face near-death every day.

The bomb squad aspect cranked up the tension to massive levels and you really got a sense of what it's like for one man to literally walk towards death and hold it in his hand...purely to protect civilians and property the supposed 'resistance' could not care less about.

The film also (maddeningly) shows how often troops needlessly face death because they are literally scared about firing their weapons in case they shoot at a civilian (whatever that means in a war where the enemy has no uniform, walks alongside the rest of the population and routinely blows that population up and shoots through them to kill the soldiers).
It was shocking to see the taxi scene where a man with obvious hostile intent faced nothing but shouts as he sped towards the soldiers. And even then no one shot and instead crowded around the car to drag the taxi driver out.
Guess it was lucky, as a whole crowd of American soldiers jumped on his car, he did not also have a bomb inside!

This ever questioning routine of whether or not you are allowed to shoot is shown time and time again in the movie, as soldiers die for no other reason than they don't want to be crucified in the weasel press and even hauled up in front of a court of law!
This 'one hand tied behind your back' way of fighting a war would be bad enough anyway, but when you are fighting some of the most fanatic, ruthless killers in the world...it can literally be suicide.

It also showed how these indiscriminate bombs are so hard to spot, defuse and keep track of (where bombers go so far as to use the corpses of children as bombs) and how these brave guys stay remotely sane is anyone's guess.
And as such Jeremy Renner's (as always) great character essay of a man addicted to conflict and risk is deserving of any and all awards.

Superb performances by all the main cast, nice 'giving death a face' cameos, spot on editing, directing and technical specs all add up to give us one of the most atmospheric and scary war films ever made and at last Hollywwod has honoured its soldiers instead of spitting at them while stroking their enemy's brow.

Last edited by 42ndStreetFreak; 26th January 2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:04 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Hurt Locker is indeed the only worthwile film about Iraq, it's up there with the great documentary Gunners Palace.

I re-watched City of God last night; this film just never fails to grab and hold the viewers attention for 2 hours - no matter how many times you watch it! Phenomenal film.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:27 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
Re: "Killer's Moon".

It's certainly a film that splits people and that's because it's actually unlike any other british exploitation film ever made. It's just a strange and warped creature. Has huge faults but also huge trashy, bizarre moments of mental genius.
Gotta love the 3 legged avenger dog.

"The Hurt Locker"

Superb war film making.

No treasonous propaganda, no false-liberal handwringing...all 'for or against' politics are left behind and at last Hollywood has made a film simply about the men in combat and how they face near-death every day.

The bomb squad aspect cranked up the tension to massive levels and you really got a sense of what it's like for one man to literally walk towards death and hold it in his hand...purely to protect civilians and property the supposed 'resistance' could not care less about.

The film also (maddeningly) shows how often troops needlessly face death because they are literally scared about firing their weapons in case they shoot at a civilian (whatever that means in a war where the enemy has no uniform, walks alongside the rest of the population and routinely blows that population up and shoots through them to kill the soldiers).
It was shocking to see the taxi scene where a man with obvious hostile intent faced nothing but shouts as he sped towards the soldiers. And even then no one shot and instead crowded around the car to drag the taxi driver out.
Guess it was lucky, as a whole crowd of American soldiers jumped on his car, he did not also have a bomb inside!

This ever questioning routine of whether or not you are allowed to shoot is shown time and time again in the movie, as soldiers die for no other reason than they don't want to be crucified in the weasel press and even hauled up in front of a court of law!
This 'one hand tied behind your back' way of fighting a war would be bad enough anyway, but when you are fighting some of the most fanatic, ruthless killers in the world...it can literally be suicide.

It also showed how these indiscriminate bombs are so hard to spot, defuse and keep track of (where bombers go so far as to use the corpses of children as bombs) and how these brave guys stay remotely sane is anyone's guess.
And as such Jeremy Renner's (as always) great character essay of a man addicted to conflict and risk is deserving of any and all awards.

Superb performances by all the main cast, nice 'giving death a face' cameos, spot on editing, directing and technical specs all add up to give us one of the most atmospheric and scary war films ever made and at last Hollywwod has honoured its soldiers instead of spitting at them while stroking their enemy's brow.

Totally agree with you there. You took the words right out of my mouth. Saw this at the cinema and I have never been so gripped by a film in my life. I literally spent the entire film on the edge of my seat. Incredibly powerful stuff.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 26th January 2010, 06:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Deadly Little Christmas

The twist at the end appears to have been the films trump card but didn't quite make up for the sheer boredom that preceded it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!