Like Tree179619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd November 2015, 04:42 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Glass Doll Films in Australia very kindly sent me their recent Blu-ray releases of 'The Calender Girls' and 'Bonnie's Kids'. I'm doing write-ups of both films.
Looking forward to reading them.

I recently picked up the double feature Blu from Gorgon Video.

Old 24th November 2015, 06:19 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I wrote reviews for a website a while back for Massacre Gun and Retaliation. Massacre Gun was a cracker. The climax is what 2.35:1 framing was invented for.
Agreed, the climax to the film was incredible!

Tokyo Drifter

Seijun Suzuki delivers what could be the one of the best films of his career with his tale of a Yakuza wandering across Japan after having to abandon town. The plot is fairly standard and perfectly serviceable however its the visual style that really stands out. The film develops a style that began with Youth of the beast where the film switches from black and white to vivid colour with excessive use of primary colours, sets that look deliberately artificial, weird dialogue, experimental editing. We even get one scene of the actor singing a catchy tune, it was apparently a tradition to have the lead actors sing in order to release tie-in records. However here it adds to the surreal tone to the whole movie. Overall Tokyo Drifter is a genuine classic that's worth watching, the Criterion blu-ray looks brilliant and if your region-free its worth picking up.
Old 24th November 2015, 02:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Savages (2012)

Oliver Stone's take on kidnapping and the drug cartels.

Stone is a great director with an excellent track record even if all his subject matter doesn't always grab me. As with all the greats there are a few miss steps along the way such as Alexander...and this.

I was really disappointed with Savages. It started off fine introducing all the characters and sunny California locations, however looking back it was definitely a case of style over substance as once the Mexican drug cartel headed by Salma Hayek came into the picture the film flattened out and became ever so dull.

Yes there's sex and graphic bloody violence but Stone fails to turn it into anything remotely engaging as far as i was concerned. I'm not sure why but it just failed on every level for me. Oh and John Travolta. Why???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savages-poster-art.jpg (59.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th November 2015, 03:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Duke Of Burgundy (Peter Strickland, 2014)
Film of the year.
Don't we all just want to be loved?
Beautiful and sombre, I really must see this Katalin Varga! (?)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th November 2015, 03:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Duke Of Burgundy (Peter Strickland, 2014)
Film of the year.
Don't we all just want to be loved?
Beautiful and sombre, I really must see this Katalin Varga! (?)
Definitely. Highly recommended.
Old 24th November 2015, 07:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Definitely. Highly recommended.
Indeed.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 24th November 2015, 10:27 PM
Cult Master

images.jpg

Deep in the rain forest of Peru a forgotten tribe is at risk of loosing their home and way of life when a contractor shows up to clear the jungle. A group of collage activists decide to go to Peru to stop the destruction and of both the rain forest and the tribe. When they arrive they chain themselves to anything that they can and start to film the following struggle on their phone to stream live on the internet bringing attention to what is going on and also for their own personal safety. Achieving their goal they celebrate but the celebration is short lived when the engine on the small plane they are flying catches fire and they crash violently ripping the plane in half and killing half the people on board. Its not long before the natives find them and then the real danger begins. The people they came to save may turn out to be the people they need saving from.

There is so much stupid in this film. The activists think they can save the world and will take on anything from saving the rain forest to getting the janitor of the collage a pay raise The main actress seems to be dead against joining them and after hearing about ritual brutalities against women in the Amazon and Africa she changes her tune and thinks its her call in life to save all women in the third world. They head into the rain forest unarmed to face an army because their phones are their guns apparently. There is some great practical gore but some of the kills just had me laughing my ass off. I wanted to feel on edge instead i was just left cringing from how stupid some of the scenes were. The hight of stupidity was the bag of weed scene Oh and the ending is a load of

advanced_stupid_by_nyangirshadow-d5vrrtt.jpg

After so many delays and drama over the release of this film i must admit i had lost almost all interest in it because it was starting to feel like stupid publicity stunt. So going into this my expectations were very very low and thats a good thing because after watching it nothing changed.
Old 25th November 2015, 07:11 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 172466

There is so much stupid in this film. The activists think they can save the world and will take on anything from saving the rain forest to getting the janitor of the collage a pay raise The main actress seems to be dead against joining them and after hearing about ritual brutalities against women in the Amazon and Africa she changes her tune and thinks its her call in life to save all women in the third world. They head into the rain forest unarmed to face an army because their phones are their guns apparently. There is some great practical gore but some of the kills just had me laughing my ass off. I wanted to feel on edge instead i was just left cringing from how stupid some of the scenes were. The hight of stupidity was the bag of weed scene Oh and the ending is a load of

Disagree to a certain extent but good review. Personally I thought the whole intention was that the students were all young and stupid and thought they could change the world. That way when they get into the jungle its a rude awakening when they discover the myth they have of the 'noble savage' turns out to be complete BS.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 25th November 2015, 10:07 AM
Cult Veteran

It's not really the right thread but I think some people might find interest in this cannon 'classic' just added to Netflix, 'King's Solomon's Mines'

http://www.netflix.com/title/70090179

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th November 2015, 10:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's not really the right thread but I think some people might find interest in this cannon 'classic' just added to Netflix, 'King's Solomon's Mines'

http://www.netflix.com/title/70090179
Saw that a few weeks agon on SyFy. It's rubbish but it does have strange Cannon charm to it (it's probably the perverse delight in seeing something so politically incorrect).

Did you see Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films at all? There is a great story at how Sharon Stone got the part.
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!