Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th November 2015, 10:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

NIGHTMARES IN A DAMAGED BRAIN – It's just got one of the most iconic 'nasties' era titles, hasn't it? A lot of them sounded pretty obnoxious, but 'Nightmares In A Damaged Brain' always seemed to have a real lurid edge to it. One which the film itself couldn't possibly live up to? Depends, as ever, upon expectations. Creepy Baird Stafford has just been released from an experimental psychiatric program which claims to have 'cured' his nightmare-driven mental health issues. What follows is a moving and inspiring look at how one man picks up the pieces against all the odds... actually no, what happens is a lot of murder and traumatic flashback sequences as Stafford closes in on a family on the other side of the country. Well, I say “a lot of murder”, but, beyond a handful of textbook gore scenes, NIDB is not much of a slasher flick, if truth be told. I'm not even sure that it's really coming from that direction, despite it ticking some boxes which had become cliches even by 1982. It's actually a slow moving, nearly ponderous film, and is certainly not a case of a load of American teens being lined up and killed off... this might frustrate some who're looking for some fast paced cheap thrills. What NIDB does well, besides ooze a sleazy, nihilistic ambience, is conjure an atmosphere of foreboding. Even some of the meandering mid-section which concentrates on setting up the aforementioned family is laden with a sense of doom about to rain down. Many of the individual scenes are really eerie too, like that one where Stafford (I've forgotten the character's name) is on the beach with the torso of one of his victims, or the one where he has a fit in a peep-show booth. Stylistically there's something going on too, intentionally or not... NIDB has that detached, at-a-distance feel, there's no warmth in either the characters or the flow and feel of the film itself, which accentuates the seediness. I'd hesitate to call it a classic, but I like it and it always leaves me feeling a little creeped out... and for some reason, I always have it in my head that the killer resembles a cadaverous Jarvis Cocker lookalike, whereas repeat viewings have shown this consistently to not be the case. I'm basing this review on my Code Red disc, which looks great despite the scuffed print forming the basis of the main presentation... would be interested to hear what 88 have done with it, as somehow that knackered third generation celluloid feel really adds to the whole scuzzy experience of something like NIDB and I wonder how a clean up would affect things.

THE NEST – By-the-numbers creature flick from Corman. It has exactly the same storyline as you'd expect from any B-Movie where a small town is being threatened by some rampaging insects... cue Sheriff with a broken heart, Mayor's daughter with a tragic past, shady dealings with a dodgy corporation, lots of similar scenes repeating until an explosion at the climax. You've seen it or read it a hundred times over – if it were dourer, more loaded with gore and bad sex and set in Surbiton it would've made a reasonable Shaun Hutson paperback (had it been a novel, of course). But, that's all understood. It's a trashy fourth tier horror flick, nothing more, and it plays its part well, and with enthusiasm. There's much to enjoy about its relentless eightiesness, the schlocky horror moments (it's not loaded with gore, but there's a fair amount of cockroaches gnashing humans), the slight bizarreness of some of the scenes near the end when 'The Thing' and the possibility of hybridised squelchiness appear to be invoked. It's fast paced, does its job then gets the hell out. One of those VHS era titles which always seemed to entice me when I was a kid, 'The Nest' isn't going to blow anyone away with some massive horror revelation, but for what it is it's pretty good.
Old 27th November 2015, 10:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
NIGHTMARES IN A DAMAGED BRAIN – It's just got one of the most iconic 'nasties' era titles, hasn't it? A lot of them sounded pretty obnoxious, but 'Nightmares In A Damaged Brain' always seemed to have a real lurid edge to it. One which the film itself couldn't possibly live up to? Depends, as ever, upon expectations. Creepy Baird Stafford has just been released from an experimental psychiatric program which claims to have 'cured' his nightmare-driven mental health issues. What follows is a moving and inspiring look at how one man picks up the pieces against all the odds... actually no, what happens is a lot of murder and traumatic flashback sequences as Stafford closes in on a family on the other side of the country. Well, I say “a lot of murder”, but, beyond a handful of textbook gore scenes, NIDB is not much of a slasher slick, if truth be told. I'm not even sure that it's really coming from that direction, despite it ticking some boxes which had become cliches even by 1982. It's actually a slow moving, nearly ponderous film, and is certainly not a case of a load of American teens being lined up and killed off... this might frustrate some who're looking for some fast paced cheap thrills. What NIDB does well, besides ooze a sleazy, nihilistic ambience, is conjure an atmosphere of foreboding. Even some of the meandering mid-section which concentrates on setting up the aforementioned family is laden with a sense of doom about to rain down. Many of the individual scenes are really eerie too, like that one where Stafford (I've forgotten the character's name) is on the beach with the torso of one of his victims, or the one where he has a fit in a peep-show booth. Stylistically there's something going on too, intentionally or not... NIDB has that detached, at-a-distance feel, there's no warmth in either the characters or the flow and feel of the film itself, which accentuates the seediness. I'd hesitate to call it a classic, but I like it and it always leaves me feeling a little creeped out... and for some reason, I always have it in my head that the killer resembles a cadaverous Jarvis Cocker lookalike, whereas repeat viewings have shown this consistently to not be the case. I'm basing this review on my Code Red disc, which looks great despite the scuffed print forming the basis of the main presentation... would be interested to hear what 88 have done with it, as somehow that knackered third generation celluloid feel really adds to the whole scuzzy experience of something like NIDB and I wonder how a clean up would affect things.
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain has to be one of the best horror titles ever. Unfortunately, the film didn't live up the title's promise.

I'm not sure what went wrong but I'm guessing the director was trying to create a film composed of fragments - as if trying to replicate the waking moments of an insane mind. But, whether it was due to poor execution, the investors losing faith in the project, or if the director got cold feet about the idea, the film doesn't work as it eventually becomes more linear in its narrative. The result is a film where scenes feel random, rather than a look into a disturbed vision.

There is something good in Nightmares in a Damaged Brain. I honestly think that this is one of those films that should be remade - not by a studio but by a independent production outfit.
Old 27th November 2015, 10:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Last Night I went to an Italian Horror film double-bill here in Liverpool.

It was interesting to watch films that I usually see on my own on my TV, projected on a large screen with other people in the room. It was a very small cinema and it was my first visit, it holds 60 people and it was probably about 2/3's full and not everyone stayed for both films and unsurprisingly there were more for Inferno than Blood & Black Lace.

However those people who came late missed out, watching these 2 films back to back only highlights Inferno's shortcomings. Inferno is not a bad film, but it suffers greatly (more so than Suspiria) by not having a storyline. Woman goes into basement, get's killed and brother comes to investigate is a loose narrative even by Argento's standards.

It was an enjoyable night though for sure and I have 2 more planned for the next couple of weeks, next up is an old OOP documentary called The Queen which is about the 1960s Drag Queen scene - I'm really looking forward to that. Following that I'm almost giddy in anticipation for John Water's Polyester with scratch and sniff cards!!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th November 2015, 10:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
However those people who came late missed out, watching these 2 films back to back only highlights Inferno's shortcomings. Inferno is not a bad film, but it suffers greatly (more so than Suspiria) by not having a storyline. Woman goes into basement, get's killed and brother comes to investigate is a loose narrative even by Argento's standards.
That's why I love Inferno. I usually put it on late at night and just get swept up by the gorgeous visuals, epic score and detached pacing and logic.
Old 27th November 2015, 11:02 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
That's why I love Inferno. I usually put it on late at night and just get swept up by the gorgeous visuals, epic score and detached pacing and logic.
I love the psychedelia of it all and the music is great, the 3 young cast members are all really good looking too which helps as well - I just think it suffers against a classic like B&BL
MacBlayne, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th November 2015, 07:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

TOWER OF EVIL
Four hip 'young' people get stranded on Snape Island, where they are stalked and brutally murdered by the 'It's..' bloke from Monty Python.
This UK horror from 1971 really takes advantage of the relaxation in censorship at the time, with plenty of blood and nudity. It's ( sorry ) also extremely well filmed and entertaining, featuring several famous faces from 70s horror and exploitation.
This blu ray from Odeon looks absolutely stunning.

SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS
Jean Sorel stars as a journalist who is found apparently dead, but who is actually still alive, preserved in a kind of suspended animation. He frantically tries to recall the events leading up to his 'death' while trying desperately to communicate with those who are preparing his autopsy!
This is a unique take on the Giallo genre and is presented, as ever, in a wonderful looking blu ray transfer from Camera Obscura.
Old 27th November 2015, 07:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
TOWER OF EVIL
Four hip 'young' people get stranded on Snape Island, where they are stalked and brutally murdered by the 'It's..' bloke from Monty Python.
This UK horror from 1971 really takes advantage of the relaxation in censorship at the time, with plenty of blood and nudity. It's ( sorry ) also extremely well filmed and entertaining, featuring several famous faces from 70s horror and exploitation.
This blu ray from Odeon looks absolutely stunning.
I watched this a week or so ago, i keep forgetting to post my thoughts. Brilliant film I'd never even heard off before Odeons disc. I swear it nicked its plot from Scooby Doo though!
Old 27th November 2015, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Nightmares in a Damaged Brain has to be one of the best horror titles ever. Unfortunately, the film didn't live up the title's promise.

I'm not sure what went wrong but I'm guessing the director was trying to create a film composed of fragments - as if trying to replicate the waking moments of an insane mind. But, whether it was due to poor execution, the investors losing faith in the project, or if the director got cold feet about the idea, the film doesn't work as it eventually becomes more linear in its narrative. The result is a film where scenes feel random, rather than a look into a disturbed vision.

There is something good in Nightmares in a Damaged Brain. I honestly think that this is one of those films that should be remade - not by a studio but by a independent production outfit.
I think the titles great and makes it sound sleazy and a video nastie where as nightmare just sounds pft like any ordinary bog standard film title.
Old 27th November 2015, 10:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched Spasmo Blu Ray from 88 Films and to be honest thought it was pretty poor.
Old 28th November 2015, 07:47 AM
Cult Addict

Some Kind of Wonderful.

Class War the movie!

Like this? Share it using the links below!