Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 18th May 2012 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=PaulD;243137]
Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 243136)

Strange, the bottom was all I could focus on :(

I was reffering to the letters hc2 :laugh:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=Kyle;243135]
Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 243132)

poster is way to sexy for that film :blush:

:lol: Agreed.

After the 'meh' nature of the first film, I wasn't going to watch the sequel, but when people were raving about ho much better it was, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Whilst I agree it was better (and a pretty interesting concept for a sequel, too), it wasn't brilliant and definitely started to fall apart for me during the second half. By the end, I'd pretty much lost interest.

gag 18th May 2012 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=bizarre_eye@Cult Labs;243142]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 243135)

:lol: Agreed.

After the 'meh' nature of the first film, I wasn't going to watch the sequel, but when people were raving about ho much better it was, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Whilst I agree it was better (and a pretty interesting concept for a sequel, too), it wasn't brilliant and definitely started to fall apart for me during the second half. By the end, I'd pretty much lost interest.

Still havent seen 2nd one yet how much had been cut from british release

PaulD 18th May 2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 243142)

Definitely. I genuinely liked the change in style and tone and thought the premise was good. But it dwelled far too long on the violence and after a while I, like yourself, lost interest. It had the potential to go into an interesting area and comment on the idea of imitable violence in horror films but I suspect Tom Six lacks that ability as a film maker.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=gag;243143]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 243142)

Still havent seen 2nd one yet how much had been cut from british release

According to the BBFC 2 minutes 37 seconds.

Quote:

Company was required to make 32 individual cuts to scenes of sexual and sexualised violence, sadistic violence and humiliation, and a child presented in an abusive and violent context. In this case, cuts included: a man masturbating with sandpaper around his penis; graphic sight of a man's teeth being removed with a hammer; graphic sight of lips being stapled to naked buttocks; graphic sight of forced defecation into and around other people's mouths; a man with barbed wire wrapped around his penis raping a woman; a newborn baby being killed; graphic sight of injury as staples are torn away from individuals' mouth and buttocks. Cuts required in accordance with BBFC Guidelines, policy and the Video Recordings Act 1984.
Despite the cuts, you still see a fair bit of lip to buttock stapling, teeth hammering, forced defecation (irrelevantly long sequence including laxative injections, shit spraying onto the camera lens, and lots of suggestive 'fart noises').

Anything child related (except the birth at the end and the other kid witnessing the brutal assault and kidnap of his parents - to then be left in a car for days...) is completely cut.

Gojirosan 18th May 2012 09:08 PM

Carnosaur - silly but entertaining low budget dinosaur flick from the Corman factory. Unrelentingly downbeat and grim, which was a surprise. Adds the Mad Scientist and Infection sun-genres into the mix. I wasn't expecting all the gore either. I rather liked it.

Prince_Vajda 18th May 2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 243178)
Carnosaur - silly but entertaining low budget dinosaur flick from the Corman factory. Unrelentingly downbeat and grim, which was a surprise. Adds the Mad Scientist and Infection sun-genres into the mix. I wasn't expecting all the gore either. I rather liked it.

A nice and trashy film. They frequently show it on TV over here - with cuts of at least seven minutes, though. :tsk:

Greetings!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2012 09:52 PM

[QUOTE=Kyle;243135]
Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 243132)

ahh cheers, just noticed the HC2 at the bottom :lol:

poster is way to sexy for that film :blush:

We really need Right Said Fred to record a new short single based on 'I'm Too Sexy' with the lyric 'I'm too sexy for this film' which can be added to the cover with a little button to activate the sound clip!

Gojirosan 19th May 2012 12:13 AM

Drive In Massacre - technically hampered, but likeable cheapie. I dug the cheeky ending a lot!

PaulD 19th May 2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 243197)
Drive In Massacre - technically hampered, but likeable cheapie. I dug the cheeky ending a lot!

I like this film. I don't know why but I really do.

Kyle 19th May 2012 07:43 AM

i watched the haunting last night, think im just going to give up on films made before 1975, never seem to enjoy them :sad:

darthelvis 19th May 2012 08:13 AM

Invasion U.S.A. - Chuck Norris saves America from the Russians, has a pet Armadillo & lives in the Florida swamps! Whats not to like!

Missing in Action - Chuck goes back to Vietnam having escaped from a POW camp where he has been held for 7 years to rescue other American's believed to still be held in Vietnam. Chuck finds them, blows stuff up and everyone's happy! Even Spider-man & his Amazing Friends gets some screen time!!! What's not to like!

This has reminded me that I need to find my Camp Chuck Norris flag for Download festival.

Tonight I will be watching either The Slayer, The Sect, Mother of Tears or Police Story for the 1000th time.

keirarts 19th May 2012 08:23 AM

Clive owen in INTRUDERS. Directed by Juan carlos fresnadillo.

Oh dear, oh dear. :(

Some great ideas in the movie but very poorly executed and very, very dull. It feels long at 90 minutes. Going for the same kind of spooky story like pans labarynth (excellent) and the orphanage (overrated and mediocre at best) and failing spectacularly. By the end of the movie I was genuinely pleased it had finished and I could focus on the book i'd started reading about 50 minutes in. Total crap.

(though at least I got to the end so its not as spectacularly awful as transformers 2, a film I switched of it was so BAD)

bdc 19th May 2012 09:16 AM

Full Contact - remastered Mei Ah dvd :pop2: :)

Full Contact (1992) Trailer [ChopSockyCinema.com] - YouTube

Hawkmonger 19th May 2012 09:25 AM

Law Abiding Citizen: Herm. Not sure what to make of this one.
Both Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler porttray there respective role's very well, and with great humanity. The plot twist's are well thought out (save for the obvies reason why Butler asked to be placed in solitery) but there just feel's like a general feel of meh-ness surrounding the whole production.
It feel's like a been-there-done-than film, little here is original. But still, it wasn't a bad way to spend the evening, a decent enough movie in my opinion. C

fuzzymctiger 19th May 2012 10:13 AM

Saw Don't Think, the Chemical Brothers movie at a local single screen theatre last night. Amazing, bizzare, surreal and psychedelic concert movie set to the fantastic tunes of Chemical Brothers. Well shot and a fantastic mix. Highly Recommended

gag 19th May 2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 243242)
Saw Don't Think, the Chemical Brothers movie at a local single screen theatre last night. Amazing, bizzare, surreal and psychedelic concert movie set to the fantastic tunes of Chemical Brothers. Well shot and a fantastic mix. Highly Recommended

Sounds good think CB are excellent odd one r two songs not a fan off but seen them twice a good few year and enjoyed them,

mercury 19th May 2012 02:21 PM

Transformers: Dark of the Moon....Enjoyable film but I didn't like the ending
Colors

James Morton 19th May 2012 02:30 PM

enjoyed NUDE NUNS WITH GUNS and THE MANGLER on the horror channel

Frankie Teardrop 19th May 2012 07:24 PM

Could never get my head around a Lars Von Trier pic starring Boon. It's the sort of thing that just shouldn't happen. You joke about it. Then it happens. A lesson for us all.

gag 19th May 2012 08:05 PM

Red room

what a terrible and awful film who comes up with ideas for crap like this

Low budget went beyond that, The bloke i wanted to torture himself for being such a wimp and doing nowt but apologise all the way through ...
even for a low budget film could still have been better ...

Gojirosan 20th May 2012 04:55 AM

Fright Night (2011) - against all my expectations I thought this was not at all bad. Even more against my expectations, Colin Farrell did not annoy me, and David Tennant only annoyed me slightly. A remake better than most.

fuzzymctiger 20th May 2012 05:07 AM

Watched Messiah Of Evil last night and it was.....interesting.
I have to say my opinion was probably affected by the shitty pan and scan VHS transfer and appualling audio.
Whilst the film explains nothing, you almost feel as though you understand it. Very atmospheric, and eerie, especially the bit with the father.

Hawkmonger 20th May 2012 06:39 AM

The House by the Cemetary: The poorest of Fulci's 'Gate's of Hell Trilogy' but still a prity good slasher flick. Does this even count as a Giallo? B

darthelvis 20th May 2012 06:47 AM

Mother of Tears - finally got round to watching this last night and to be honest I thought it was pretty good, not in the same league as Suspiria but not bad none the less. The ending was pretty poor!

The Slayer - 80's classic, will pop full review of this in the review thread later.

Tonight's viewing from the North Sea will be The Sect & if not too tired Police Story.

keirarts 20th May 2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 243435)
Watched Messiah Of Evil last night and it was.....interesting.
I have to say my opinion was probably affected by the shitty pan and scan VHS transfer and appualling audio.
Whilst the film explains nothing, you almost feel as though you understand it. Very atmospheric, and eerie, especially the bit with the father.

The whole movie plays like a collection of someone's nightmares strung together with a very loose plot, personally I love the movie. Best way to see it is the Code red release, if you E-mail Bill he might even have one or two left at a far more reasonable price than on-line. Its widescreen and has a supurb transfer, it looks and sounds amazing.

As for FRIGHT NIGHT (2011). Sorry I thought it was fairly bad, not dreadful but let down by poor quality CGI and the fact the new gerry dandridge has no familiar and just goes nuts when he's uncovered rather than play mindgames.

Last night I watched the new JOE CARNAHAN movie THE GREY.

Supurb, poetic and beautifully shot tale of a hunter hired to shoot wolves at a remote alaskan oil-rig. Despite being sucidely depressed he refuses to just die. On a plane trip home the plane crashes and he must protect the survivors from the wolves that begin hunting them and guide them through the wilderness.

Really, really good movie.

fuzzymctiger 20th May 2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 243444)
The whole movie plays like a collection of someone's nightmares strung together with a very loose plot, personally I love the movie. Best way to see it is the Code red release, if you E-mail Bill he might even have one or two left at a far more reasonable price than on-line. Its widescreen and has a supurb transfer, it looks and sounds amazing.

Would try, but i think my Dad is completely over buying things over the Internet for me after our credit cards getting hacked 4 times and a couple of problems with Amazon uk and order cancelations and per orders and everything.

If I wanted to watch it again a dvdr of the code red transfer would suffice
If anyone's willing ;)

PaulD 20th May 2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 243442)
The House by the Cemetary: The poorest of Fulci's 'Gate's of Hell Trilogy' but still a prity good slasher flick. Does this even count as a Giallo? B

Watched the Arrow BD of this last night too. Agree that it's the weakest of the three and I actually found myself getting a little bored and restless during it (about the 3rd time I've seen it). I do still like it, just not sure I was in the right mood last night. Looking forward to the extras though!

It's about as Giallo as City of the Living Dead or The Beyond. I think Arrow's previous Masters of Giallo (Masters of Gialli surely?) was more a reference to the director than the film to be honest.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th May 2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 243452)
If anyone's willing ;)

That of course, would be illegal!

bdc 20th May 2012 09:06 AM

You can pay with paypal for CR direct orders,no need for cc then I guess?

fuzzymctiger 20th May 2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 243455)
That of course, would be illegal!

Shhh!!:rolleyes:

oaxaca 20th May 2012 09:46 AM

Watched several films yesterday:

THE HUSTLER (20thC Fox digibook, 1961): Brilliant! Felt very much like a noir in style, loved the seedy two-bit pool halls and grimy locations + George C Scott was immense.

THE IRON ROSE (Kino & Redemption, 1973): The atmosphere and cinematography were excellent. The graveyard was a great place to film and set the majority of the movie. However I found the characters a little annoying and felt it could have benefited from a bit of a story, although I realise that's not what Rollins is about.

THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (Criterion, 1921): Again, excellent atmosphere. The fact it was filmed on nitrite gives it this eerie silvery sheen + lovely tints. Characters were good, story was good although tending to the melodramatic a bit as silent films generally do, visual effects were very impressive for the time. The phantom coach & its driver (death) were effective too.

All of the above blu rays had exceptional transfers, very impressive jobs done by the publishers.

THE LAST GUN / 4 DOLLERS OF REVENGE (Mill Creek, 1964&1968) : I was pleasantly surprised with this double Spag West release from Mill Creek. Seeing as it only costing £5, the quality of the transfers were much better than I was expecting. It is definitely HD, and despite the surface noise (pops & crackles) it was nicely done I thought. The films were better than I was expecting too, particularly THE LAST GUN. Good characters and a good story, although 4 DOLLERS had the better soundtrack for definite. Looking forward to receiving KEOMA/THEGRAND DUEL double bill too.

Kyle 20th May 2012 11:36 AM

inception 8/10
apartment 143 6/10
outpost: black sun 6/10

Gojirosan 20th May 2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 243444)
As for FRIGHT NIGHT (2011). Sorry I thought it was fairly bad, not dreadful but let down by poor quality CGI and the fact the new gerry dandridge has no familiar and just goes nuts when he's uncovered rather than play mindgames.

Fair enough. I don't get hetup by CGI like others do. None of the effects even registered as "bad" with me, they were just part of the story. I thought it was a different Jerry Dandridge for a different film. I'm not the biggest admirer of the original though, so there were no precious memories to be sullied for me.

It certainly wasn't a masterpiece, but as modern remakes go, this was one of the very best and least pointless I have seen. And I was really expecting to dislike it and find fault throughout.

But that's just me!

James Morton 20th May 2012 12:17 PM

BODY DOUBLE
THE UNTOUCHABLES

gag 20th May 2012 01:18 PM

Abduction

Not a good film but not a bad film
Once gets going Taylor lautner plays the character along the lines of matt damon as jason bourne...

PaulD 20th May 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 243497)
BODY DOUBLE
THE UNTOUCHABLES

Nice DePalma double bill. What did you think of Body Double?

The~Governor 20th May 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 243061)
Orca -
Well...I really liked it! Sure, I can see what people find silly about it, but I let myself buy it and let the film operate within its own world. Clearly it was intended to cash in on Jaws but it is quite different. The big, bitey dolphin is not really the bad guy and this adds a nice element to the story. It seems perfectly well made to me also and has decent performances - despite many internet critics lambasting the FX and Richard Harris's turn. Again, I really liked it.

So...yay, Orca!

Orca Killer Whale is certainly better than the vast majority of the Jaws sequels that were ever made.

It's far superior to anything that came after Jaws II in my opinion. :nod:

tollickd 20th May 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 243462)
Watched several films yesterday:

THE HUSTLER (20thC Fox digibook, 1961): Brilliant! Felt very much like a noir in style, loved the seedy two-bit pool halls and grimy locations + George C Scott was immense.

THE IRON ROSE (Kino & Redemption, 1973): The atmosphere and cinematography were excellent. The graveyard was a great place to film and set the majority of the movie. However I found the characters a little annoying and felt it could have benefited from a bit of a story, although I realise that's not what Rollins is about.

THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (Criterion, 1921): Again, excellent atmosphere. The fact it was filmed on nitrite gives it this eerie silvery sheen + lovely tints. Characters were good, story was good although tending to the melodramatic a bit as silent films generally do, visual effects were very impressive for the time. The phantom coach & its driver (death) were effective too.

All of the above blu rays had exceptional transfers, very impressive jobs done by the publishers.

THE LAST GUN / 4 DOLLERS OF REVENGE (Mill Creek, 1964&1968) : I was pleasantly surprised with this double Spag West release from Mill Creek. Seeing as it only costing £5, the quality of the transfers were much better than I was expecting. It is definitely HD, and despite the surface noise (pops & crackles) it was nicely done I thought. The films were better than I was expecting too, particularly THE LAST GUN. Good characters and a good story, although 4 DOLLERS had the better soundtrack for definite. Looking forward to receiving KEOMA/THEGRAND DUEL double bill too.

how was the iron rose?

keirarts 20th May 2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 243452)
Would try, but i think my Dad is completely over buying things over the Internet for me after our credit cards getting hacked 4 times and a couple of problems with Amazon uk and order cancelations and per orders and everything.

If anyone's willing ;)

You can pay bill via paypal, i've had zero problems. (But then i've never had problems with amazon either but code red stuff on there is mightly expensive, and I should know ;))