Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
AKA: Battle Royale Lite.
Just doesn't work.
Old 4th December 2015, 05:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Batman Returns (1992)

In my opinion the best Batman film to date and it's set at Christmas. Director Tim Burton gives us a day-glow masterpiece of fantasy horror images all dressed up as a superhero film. From the grotesque shuffling Penguin to the wet dream in black latex that is Catwoman, not forgetting the sneerily sadistic Max Schreck and of course Michael Keaton's definitive Batman portrayal.

Batman Returns is as dark a superhero film as your likely to see with perhaps only Christoper Nolan's The Dark Knight coming close to it. Despite the outlandish colours and Christmas decacence on display Burton's film is gloomy, extremely moody, bizarre and deliciously perverse with occasionally strong violence thrown in. The sets are superb as is the photography and it's all backed up with Danny Elfman's soaringly majestic theme that uplifts the many action set pieces.

Batman Returns is full of juicy dialogue. It's just a tad unfortunate for Michael Keaton that all the best lines go to Christopher Walken's Schrek, Danny DeVito's monstrous yet tragic Penguin and Michelle Pfeiffer's slinky Catwoman. Oh and if you want proof of how good Pfeiffer is as Catwoman then watch Anne Hathaway play the same character in Nolan's final Batman film The Dark Knight Rises and you'll see there's no comparison as Hathaway is almost instantly forgettable.

Granted some of you will prefer X-Men or the Avengers films but for me Batman Returns is the superhero movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batman_Returns_Poster (Large).jpg (50.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 4th December 2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 4th December 2015, 06:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Batman Returns (1992)

In my opinion the best Batman film to date and it's set at Christmas. Director Tim Burton gives us a day-glow masterpiece of fantasy horror images all dressed up as a superhero film. From the grotesque shuffling Penguin to the wet dream in black latex that is Catwoman, not forgetting the sneerily sadistic Max Schreck and of course Michael Keaton's definitive Batman portrayal.

Batman Returns is as dark a superhero film as your likely to see with perhaps only Christoper Nolan's The Dark Knight coming close to it. Despite the outlandish colours and Christmas decacence on display Burton's film is gloomy, extremely moody, bizarre and rather perverse with occasionally strong violence thrown in. The sets are superb as is the photography and it's all backed up with Danny Elfman's soaringly majestic theme that uplifts the many action set pieces.

Batman Returns is full of juicy dialogue. It's just a tad unfortunate for Michael Keaton that all the best lines go to Christopher Walken's Schrek, Danny DeVito's monstrous yet tragic Penguin and Michelle Pfeiffer's slinky Catwoman. Oh and if you want proof of how good Pfeiffer is as Catwoman then watch Anne Hathaway play the same character in Nolan's final Batman film The Dark Knight Rises and you'll see there's no comparison as Hathaway is almost instantly forgettable.

Granted some of you will prefer X-Men or the Avengers films but for me Batman Returns is the superhero movie.
I don't think its as good as the first one but i agree it is a superb film and Michelle Pfiefer pisses all over Anne Hathaway (insert lewd joke here)
Michael Keaton was born to play Batman.
Old 4th December 2015, 08:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

My favourite Batman (and Burton) too.
Old 4th December 2015, 09:55 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

River's Edge (1986)

8/10
Old 4th December 2015, 09:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Liking your new in depth reviews B_E.

Old 4th December 2015, 10:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just after watching Dr.Terror's House of Horrors in HD. The quality was sensational. Not my favourite horror anthology, but certainly worth a watch, if only for the acting talent involved. An exceptional transfer/restoration job from OEG.
Old 4th December 2015, 10:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Liking your new in depth reviews B_E.

A picture paints a thousand words as they say, so there you go; a 2000 word review above - not bad for a night's work.
Old 4th December 2015, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A picture paints a thousand words as they say, so there you go; a 2000 word review above - not bad for a night's work.
You are quite right of course.

Actually i don't mind you just rating them out of ten, as after all these years i have an incline of your taste in movies.
Old 4th December 2015, 11:10 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
You are quite right of course.

Actually i don't mind you just rating them out of ten, as after all these years i have an incline of your taste in movies.
I think it depends on my mood, but I don't necessarily feel like writing too much about a film after I've viewed it - especially if it's a first time watch. Most of the time when I've seen a good or poignant film (and again especially if it's for the first time) the various emotions and feelings in regards to how I feel about it tend to roll around in my mind for some days and often weeks afterwards - the longer the time then the more impactful the film has been on me, generally speaking. I'm not one to whip out a review mere minutes after a viewing (and if I do they're generally terrible) plus I'm my own toughest critic so I tend to turn the process of jotting a few thoughts down about what I've watched into an assignment and in time it can sour the film-watching process for me a little.... so a simple still/poster/rating is a lot more desirable to me 99% of the time.

I'm glad I've become predictable in my old age though (), plus I guess the more we know about one another's film tastes the more inclined we may be to know if we'll like it or not based on how that person feels about it... not that this is always the case!

Like this? Share it using the links below!