Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 22nd May 2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 244068)
I take the same stance as Paul.

Although, I consider Clownhouse to be a different case entirely, as the actual molestation occurred on set at the time of filming.

Yes, I totally agree with you on that point. The fact that it happened on-set clearly affects the perception of the film for the viewer. You can't seperate the art from the artist in that example. Similarly, the bit in Clownhouse where the kid's having a bath made me practically retch, knowing what I knew about the production of the film

Nordicdusk 22nd May 2012 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 65836

First time seeing this really great film. Great Train-by-Shooting scene in this ha ha.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd May 2012 09:55 PM

Polanski: Rosemary's Baby
Hitchcock: Psycho

Slippery Jack 22nd May 2012 10:00 PM

Hitchcock: Rosemary's Baby
Polanski: Psycho

Now THAT I'd like to see :eek: . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd May 2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 244061)
Does what he did put anyone else of buying his films? or is it just me?

You should watch Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, a fascinating documentary which shows what a complicated, controversial and difficult situation the whole trial, incarceration and self-imposed exile was and continues to be.

Roman Polanski: Wanted And Desired (HBO) - YouTube

artisturn 23rd May 2012 07:33 AM

Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)

keirarts 23rd May 2012 07:39 AM

Not to justify what polanski did, but I don't think that his case is as bad as victor salva's.

At the time polanski was out of his face on drink and drugs and still in a spiral of depression after the murder of sharon tate. At a party at Jack nicholsons he hooked up with a girl who turned out to be younger than he thought. (and what the hell was a 13 year old girl doing out at a party like that anyway) and as far as i'm aware this wasn't any pattern of behaviour just one very wrong incident. Still wrong but compared to salva who systematicly abused several young boys, videotaped himself doing it, and continues to make films where the main theme is teenagers (with a focus on young boys) being stalked by an invincible enemy is far more troubling. I sold my copy of clownhouse (check out my blog) because quite frankly while the film is pretty suspensful the lingering shots of teenage boys in their underware is very troubling to me in light of salva's disgusting behaviour.

Slippery Jack 23rd May 2012 07:54 AM

Just to get back to the greatness of Polanski, anyone seen his latest, Carnage ? I only caught it at the weekend, and really enjoyed it. Some proper Exorcist projectile vomiting from Kate Winslet :eek: With this and The Ghost it's great he's still turning out work of such quality and showing no signs of burning out . . .

fuzzymctiger 23rd May 2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244071)
Yes, I totally agree with you on that point. The fact that it happened on-set clearly affects the perception of the film for the viewer. You can't seperate the art from the artist in that example. Similarly, the bit in Clownhouse where the kid's having a bath made me practically retch, knowing what I knew about the production of the film

Wait so if that is the stance we take, then that must mean we hate Cannibal Holocaust, because the director killed animals on set and was an absolute arsehole to everyone?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd May 2012 08:32 AM

I really want to see Carnage as it does look like another quality film from Polanski.

Also, can we stay on topic and, though I am a little guilty of it myself, leave directors' personal problems to one side and just discuss films here?

Thanks.

Kyle 23rd May 2012 09:42 AM

It's not the enjoying of the film or even watching it that bothers me its putting my cash towards it, I know there has not been another case but for me when a man that rapes a child, once is enough!

The way I look at it is, if it was my kid that got raped I wouldn't want to know that people are still relising and buying his films. They don't play Gary glitter on the radio anymore!
:focus:

Rhodes 23rd May 2012 09:46 AM

gary glitter still makes millions cos they use one of his songs in america for some sports event.

fuzzymctiger 23rd May 2012 10:49 AM

Just watched Battle Royale (Theatrical Cut)
Great movie, not much I can think to say except that Beat Takeshi was very good in it too. Toned down greatly from the manga version, sex and violence wise.
Still can't decide on wether to cough up 40 for the Arrow copy though.
What extras were exclusive in that again?

keirarts 23rd May 2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 244234)
It's not the enjoying of the film or even watching it that bothers me its putting my cash towards it, I know there has not been another case but for me when a man that rapes a child, once is enough!

The way I look at it is, if it was my kid that got raped I wouldn't want to know that people are still relising and buying his films. They don't play Gary glitter on the radio anymore!
:focus:

except legally polanski's 'rape' was a statutory one not an act of violence. (the 'victim' herself has spoken openly about it) while salva's convictions were predatory and violent. That's why I don't mind forking out cash to see a polanski movie, even though I feel he should have recieved some sort of punishment. But i've never actually paid money for a brand new release of a salva movie. Hell I watched the first jeepers creepers not long ago and its not a bad film, but Salva himself can rot in hell for all I care.

But then enough of this sordid topic and back to topic eh!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd May 2012 03:56 PM

I saw The Raid at the cinema earlier today and thought it was brilliant with some breathless action sequences and some of the most convincing and brutal hand-to-hand combat scenes I've seen since The Bourne Ultimatum.

Baseball Fury 23rd May 2012 04:18 PM

Polanski: The Exorcist
Hitchcock: Body Double

Gojirosan 23rd May 2012 07:28 PM

Submarine - I thought this was quite excellent. Put me through the emotional wringer, mind, and I felt beaten up by the end of it, but a brilliant film expertly realised by Richard Ayoade. Often very funny too.

The Ghostkeeper - much better than I thought it would be. I really enjoyed this. It's slowly paced and not much actually happens, but...DAT ATMOSPHERE! Loved it.

mercury 23rd May 2012 07:59 PM

Escape From New York ......Watched this on ITV4 HD and the picture was terrible. Is the bluray any better?

Baseball Fury 23rd May 2012 08:50 PM

Not really

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd May 2012 09:42 PM

Recent viewings:

http://elephant.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.app1.srv.letterboxd.c...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.app1.srv.letterboxd.co...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.app1.srv.letterboxd.c...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.app1.srv.letterboxd.c...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.app1.srv.letterboxd....0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.app1.srv.letterboxd.c...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.app1.srv.letterboxd.co...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.app1.srv.letterboxd.co...0-222-crop.jpg

Nordicdusk 23rd May 2012 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 65946

Documentary about five kids that went missing in the 70s and 80s on Staten Island New York. Well worth a watch some very disturbing footage of Willowbrook State School on Staten Island sort of footage that chills you right to the bone.

keirarts 24th May 2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 244378)
Attachment 65946

Documentary about five kids that went missing in the 70s and 80s on Staten Island New York. Well worth a watch some very disturbing footage of Willowbrook State School on Staten Island sort of footage that chills you right to the bone.

Anything about a guy with garden shears in it?

Demoncrat 24th May 2012 11:40 AM

Speaking of disturbing documentaries...watched Jesus Camp recently....for the record an even handed look at Pastor Becky Fischer and her annual summer camp "Kids on Fire" (held at....Devil's Lake!!:rolleyes:)
This is a great case of "give 'em enough rope..." etc.

This is worse than Srpski in my book. The mere fact that parents will let this emotionally crippled fascist NEAR their kids is a sad reflection on the grip the religious right had (at that time) over the uneducated "fundamentalist" throng.

The "highlight" being a sequence where the adults in charge of this horrorshow get their charges to fondle a cut out figure of Dubya.

This is cleverly intercut with views from a moderate xtian radio host, which culminates in a brief showdown between the pastor on his show.

10/10.

skankenstoned 24th May 2012 03:20 PM

OMG!!!!!!!! I flicked on the tv after getting in late last night to catch Adam Chaplin on the Horror Channel and I couldn't switch it off! Fricking awesome film with a touch of Grindhouse flair, lashings of Manga style violence and buckets and buckets and buckets (etc etc etc) of the red stuff! QUALITY!!!!

Nordicdusk 24th May 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 244391)
Anything about a guy with garden shears in it?

This is where the myth came from said he was an urban legend that scouts were told by there leaders while camping in the woods. Just happened that the legend was based on fact and this guy actually went around taking kids and murdering them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 244434)
Speaking of disturbing documentaries...watched Jesus Camp recently....for the record an even handed look at Pastor Becky Fischer and her annual summer camp "Kids on Fire" (held at....Devil's Lake!!:rolleyes:)
This is a great case of "give 'em enough rope..." etc.

This is worse than Srpski in my book. The mere fact that parents will let this emotionally crippled fascist NEAR their kids is a sad reflection on the grip the religious right had (at that time) over the uneducated "fundamentalist" throng.

The "highlight" being a sequence where the adults in charge of this horrorshow get their charges to fondle a cut out figure of Dubya.

This is cleverly intercut with views from a moderate xtian radio host, which culminates in a brief showdown between the pastor on his show.

10/10.


I have seen a few clips of this and heard alot about it. Even the few clips i seen were disturbing enough.

Susan Foreman 24th May 2012 06:45 PM

I have just watched the French/Canadian film '7 Days', and I think I need a cigarette and a BIG vodka!

Disturbing is not the word for this film. It really affected me. Very graphic, but within the realms of reality

There were two things that made it bad.

1) It is very believable. No elaborate traps or supernatural elements, just torture that could be carried out by anyone (not that this is a suggestion, of course)

2) the fact that there was no music at all during the film. No soundtrack, no songs on the radio, not even someone whistling

Phew!

Highly recommended, but not for everyone

VicDakin 24th May 2012 06:56 PM

"Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
 
3 Attachment(s)
Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
Have'nt watched this for awhile so i thought id take out for a spin and abit of the old in-out

Nordicdusk 24th May 2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 244541)
Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
Have'nt watched this for awhile so i thought id take out for a spin and abit of the old in-out

How does it look on Blu Ray ? Worth an upgrade ?

VicDakin 24th May 2012 07:27 PM

clock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 244557)
How does it look on Blu Ray ? Worth an upgrade ?

Id say yes,I think for a film made in 1971 it looks great,but im biased cos its all time fav,but it does look good.

A Clockwork Orange Blu-ray Malcolm McDowell

Criterion7 24th May 2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 243750)
imo BODY DOUBLE is a very underrated film and Craig Wasson an underrated actor
one of De Palma's best and one of my fave films of all time
got the R1 sp.ed and R2 dvds

Body Double is a personal favorite of mine, then again I was completely in love with Shelton. I think what tends to hurt Body Double to this day is that after the amazing resolution of the whole mystery we have that second ending that confused and angered so many. Technically and acting wise Body Double is a genuine masterpiece right up til then.

Nordicdusk 24th May 2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 244558)
Id say yes,I think for a film made in 1971 it looks great,but im biased cos its all time fav,but it does look good.

A Clockwork Orange Blu-ray Malcolm McDowell

Cheers ill have to take the plunge ;)

Pete 24th May 2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 244541)
Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
Have'nt watched this for awhile so i thought id take out for a spin and abit of the old in-out

One of my all time favourites, perfect in every way.

Pete 24th May 2012 10:24 PM

Just watched DEMONS 2 for the first time since 2006 and it wasn't the turd I remembered it to be. It's no classic but I found it be a lot of fun this time around. BD looked excellent.

Demoncrat 25th May 2012 10:39 AM

Watched A Bay Of Blood, as mate hadn't seen this. Still a delight to view, and he loved the ending as well....;);)

fuzzymctiger 25th May 2012 11:09 AM

Finally finished Mulholland Dr. And what the :censored:? I have no idea what just happened. It was all normal, then they went to Club Silencio and shit got weird. The everything changed and got normal again, then it ended on an odd note.

Also watched Urban Legends: Bloody Mary. Let's just say it was a hell of a lot better than what I expected. A decent supernatural horror with the what was for me the most uncomfortable movie scene I've ever scene involving a pimple full of spiders.

PaulD 25th May 2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 244665)
Finally finished Mulholland Dr. And what the :censored:? I have no idea what just happened. It was all normal, then they went to Club Silencio and shit got weird. The everything changed and got normal again, then it ended on an odd note.

I love this film so very much. I'm off to see it at the cinema at 3am on Sunday morning; should be quite the experience!

fuzzymctiger 25th May 2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244666)
I love this film so very much. I'm off to see it at the cinema at 3am on Sunday morning; should be quite the experience!

My local single screen has it on in July, a 35mm print as part of a David Lynch retrospective.

Also, I tried out the scene selection. You select the object, and it zooms in on it. You select it again, and it plays the movie form a frame with that object in it, so select a handbag and you start with a shot of a handbag, select the blue key, you start with the first shot of the blue key, etc.

Beyond72 25th May 2012 11:14 AM

Had the urge to watch A L I E N 1 - 3 over the last 3 nights for some reason.

Rhodes 25th May 2012 11:18 AM

that reason wouldnt be imminent prometheus would it?

James Morton 25th May 2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 244563)
Body Double is a personal favorite of mine, then again I was completely in love with Shelton. I think what tends to hurt Body Double to this day is that after the amazing resolution of the whole mystery we have that second ending that confused and angered so many. Technically and acting wise Body Double is a genuine masterpiece right up til then.

I was never confused the ending, some people are stupid!
Excellent erotic thriller from the master


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.