Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2015, 05:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't think much of Prometheus myself, Dem.

I found it boring, overlong, poorly written and muddled. Each to their own though!
That might come with a second viewing.

Having owned it for a good 18 months without watching it, it could also be a mood thing as well.
Old 13th December 2015, 05:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I was surprised by the amount of hate this received on its theatrical release, and has continued to attract since then, as I really enjoyed it when I saw it at the cinema and found it improving with each subsequent viewing at home.

Michael Fassbender is easily the best thing about the film with one of his best performances. However, as is usual for anything directed by Ridley Scott, it is painstakingly designed and beautiful to look at – he really is a gifted 'creator of worlds'.
I do tend to agree with your views rather than Bizarre_Eyes after my initial watch.
Old 13th December 2015, 05:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I enjoyed it too, but it's yet to grace my shelves with it's presence
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th December 2015, 05:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I do tend to agree with your views rather than Bizarre_Eyes after my initial watch.
Even though it's a film which really didn't need to be made – I like the mystery around about the alien origins – I'm glad it didn't disappoint me and, even though Peter Weyland should have been played by an older actor and not Guy Pearce in lots of make-up, I really loved the design of the planet and philosophical debate about the relationship between science, religion, and humanity.

All that said, it's long overdue another watch.
Old 13th December 2015, 05:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Prometheus (2012)

Despite liking all the Alien films (Not including the awful Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem) i wouldn't call myself a huge fan of any of them so was in no rush to see Ridley Scott's return to his old stamping ground, the planet LV-223, first seen in his original Alien. I was happy to let the furore, gossip and spoilers lapse from my memory and taking it from there.

I must say i really enjoyed Prometheus. I found it intelligent, occassionally creepy and often quite compelling. Michael Fassbender's android was the star of the show but he had serious competition from Noomi Rapace. The sequence where she removes the alien parasite from her abdomen is an icky body horror treat.

Visually the film is superb. Both the planet and the crashed space craft are brilliantly realized. It was good to delve into some of the hows and why's of Giger's imagery from the very first film and find out a little about them.

Despite having a central theme of creation i didn't feel the film got bogged down with it, nor did it irritate me. The film also asked a lot of questions it didn't bother to answer but again i was enjoying the ride and this also wasn't as irritating as it could be on a second viewing perhaps.

As for the very last scene - it's what we waited for all along.
Good review Dem. I actually think Prometheus is better than Ridleys original Alien.
Old 13th December 2015, 05:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Something that bugs me about Prometheus is that in the original Alien, the fossilized Engineer corpse is absolutely huge, but in Prometheus they're only a bit bigger than humans.

I highly recommend the 3-hour making of documentary by the way, loved it.
Old 13th December 2015, 05:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Something that bugs me about Prometheus is that in the original Alien, the fossilized Engineer corpse is absolutely huge, but in Prometheus they're only a bit bigger than humans.
I did notice that.
Old 13th December 2015, 06:01 PM
Cult Addict

I've always thought Alien is the weakest of the original quadrilogy. In fact i think i actually prefer the latter two to the first two.
Old 13th December 2015, 06:04 PM
Cult Addict

I'd even rate Alien vs.Predator above Alien. Requiem's shit though.
Old 13th December 2015, 06:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'd even rate Alien vs.Predator above Alien. Requiem's shit though.
AvP is a good sci-fi action film. I prefer it to Aliens if i'm honest. Aliens takes way too long to get going. I know i'm probably in a minority of one with that viewpoint.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!