Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2015, 11:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Uwantme2KillHim?

Despite the ridiculous title this film is a gripping view based loosely on a true case, which being a former criminology student and watching every murder documentary and reading every book I was familiar with. I can't say much without giving too much away. It is hard to believe that this bizarre case genuinely happened. so my advice would be to watch the documentary shown on channel 4 a few years ago here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfECN3zFTjg

Then get a copy of the film (it's on netflix In uk and Ireland atm) and to those who use a region unblocker for all region N/flix. There are a few differences in the film to the real case hence I recommend the doc first! 9/10

Short Night of The Glass Dolls

I really can't warm to this giallo on my 4th attempt over 3 years I have given up. I found it too slow,boring and not my cup of tea at all. It is a shame as I rarely dislike a giallo and I did love Night Train Murders from the same Director. Basically the guy from Lizard in a woman's skin wakes up in a morgue unable to move or communicate, we then revisit his activities that led up to this situation 3/10

Don't Open Till Christmas

Edmund Purdom takes a break playing the killer to be a policeman suspected of being the killer. This film is plain silly but great fun and a through enjoyment, Watch out for Tosh Lines from the bill as a perverted photographer And do yourself one favour do not dress as santa on the streets of the capital! 8/10

Catacombs

Fun Brit chiller in which a man and his servant decide his eccentric,whinging bully of a wife needs to take a trip to hell faster than nature intended and then enjoy the proceeds from her will in excess of a million. Things do not go to plan and in what could be a good run for a Brit Giallo nothing is what it seems. The network DVD has a great print for such a rare film. 8/10

House Of Clocks

Fun Fulci made for Tv film in which a group of lowlife halfwits take on 2 cunning evil old people at their isolated home and a deformed Al Cliver. The old man and woman have too much time on their hands literally and refuse to die without a fuss, groundhog day Fulci style what could possibly go wrong here? 7/10

The Gift

I had heard numerous good things about this, although it was a good film I certainly wouldn't say it was amazing or a future favourite of mine. Basically a guy (Simon) shopping in a DIY shop is pounced on by someone who claims he knows him... Meet Gordo also known as "weirdo" who likes turning up with gifts and excuses virtually everytime Simon turns around, when simon tells "Gordo" to back off things get a little odd. Good Ideas some originality but not as great as I had been led to believe 6/10

12 Rounds 3 Lockdown

I loved the second one so was looking forward to this... sadly I shouldn't have bothered getting too excited this is a dreadful entry in this franchise and about as far from the first 2 as you can get 3/10
Old 20th December 2015, 12:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

RE Cinema on your own, I almost always go on my own as my taste in film isn't shared entirely by those around me. There isn't much reason to have to go with others since it's 2hrs of not speaking anyway!

I did go to Star Wars with company though, but I'd have happily gone by myself.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th December 2015, 12:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Please say this is a joke
Sorry, I forgot the spoiler tags. Doh!
Old 20th December 2015, 12:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

DEAD MEN WALK (PRC 1946)

A duel role for George Zucco as twin brothers. The evil Zucco rises from the dead to haunt the good Zucco and infect his niece to become a vampire.
Enjoyable romp that has a good atmosphere. I like this film and it is one of the better efforts in the low budget films that I have been watching lately.
Old 20th December 2015, 03:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Kiss Me Quick (1964)

Low on budget and even lower on plot, this is a Harry Novak produced quickie. The story of how an asexual alien who resembles Stan Laurel is sent to earth to acquire female breeding stock from the Frankenstein like Dr Breedlove, to take back to it's planet

This is essentially just a succession of sequences of pretty girls doing striptease with a few gags in between. I actually thought Frank A Coe did a decent impersonation of Stan Laurel, well his voice anyway, and found some of his lines rather amusing.

Alas for Kiss Me Quick's director Peter Perry, throughout the slim duration of this film i felt i was watching a lesser effort by Russ Meyer, although in hindsight this isn't a bad thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kiss-me-quick-ad-mat.jpg (50.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 20th December 2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 20th December 2015, 04:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #16

Exists (2014)

Blair Witch Project director Eduardo Sanchez returns to the found footage genre with some style in this enjoyable Bigfoot romp. The plot is nothing new - a group of friends go out into some remote Texan woods for a weekend of camping and partying. However following an accident they end up in a run down cottage and as night falls they realise something else is in the woods with them.

Everything Sanchez brought to the table with his classic first film, the film that spawned the found footage horror phenomenon, he uses here to great effect. He captures a fine atmosphere of dread during the first third with the blood curdling cries in the night, shattering the otherwise silent darkness with 5:1 fear. This worked brilliantly and was delightfully creepy.

The film isn't perfect by any means. Some of the characters are a little too non descript and a few scenes seem rather cliched. In fact the whole middle third sags following the first night nervousness. The final third really kicks into gear though. Bigfoot is no longer hidden away, he's a true threat to the group and as becomes apparent also has motivation as to his actions. Unlike so many low budget Bigfoot films Sanchez leaves us with a lasting impression of the classic urban legend. Not only do we get to see glimpses of him in the trees, the final scenes give us a glorious look at him and the film definitely does not disappoint with probably the best looking creature i've seen in any Bigfoot / Yeti movie to date.

Obviously if you are one of those who detests the found footage genre then i'd say steer clear of this (although the camera work is often pretty good and you don't spend the entire film staring at the ground), but to those still willing to take a gamble on what should be a dead genre then you shouldn't be disappointed with Exists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exists-2014.jpg (30.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 20th December 2015, 06:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Exists (2014)
It's on the shelf by my DVD player, so thanks for that review – I look forward to watching it in the New Year if not a little earlier.
Old 20th December 2015, 07:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ransom 1974
Ransom-DVD-cover.jpg

Starring Sean Connery this film had passed me by until I saw it in the Network shop and picked it up in the sale. I like my Harry Palmer / cold war / political espionage type flicks so gave it a go. I enjoyed it although the budgetary constraints are quite obvious and a lot of the actors seem to be walking through their roles.

The plot involves a gang of hijackers led by Ian McShane taking control of a British plane as it lands. Connery plays Colonel Tahlvik who is assigned to rescue the plane without any passengers dying.
ojQkK.jpg

There is also the problem of the British Ambassador who has been kidnapped by another group of terrorists in his own home. The pace moves quickly and there is also a plot twist I honestly did not see coming.

Obviously not a classic as it is hardly mentioned in Connery's resume but still worth seeing and I enjoyed it, if not just for the days when criminals wore lingerie over their heads to avoid being identified. We need more of this in modern movies!!
dcfVW.jpg
Old 20th December 2015, 07:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Stagefright 1987

I have not seen this for years and paid full wack for this uncut version when it came out on exposure cinema (as somebody kindly pointed out, it is a limited release and you can now pick it up for £7 - absolute bargain in my opinion)
51ZOwaTMWZL._SY300_.jpg

I am sure most have seen it on this site, it is a slasher that might just fall short of a classic and directed by the very under used as a director Michael Soavi (how I would like a box-set of his releases as director!). It also stars one of the weirdest killers masks (freaks me out) ever, keep your clowns face, leather flanels or hockey attire, this Owl is a hoot ( sorry ).
stage-fright-12.jpg

There is some great gore to be had, gorgeous lead in Barbara Cupisti and not a college in site, hurrah! instead most of the flick takes place in a theatre as a play is being staged.
Stagefright-1987-Kill-Scene-740x493.jpg

The picture is a little grainy but the uncut footage is fantastic and I have not yet dipped into the extras of which their is quite a few.

If you do not have this in your collection then snap it up for the measly sum of seven quid, well worth it. There is something about these old slashers that they just can not replicate today.
Old 20th December 2015, 07:26 PM
Cult Addict

Star wars episode VII: The Force awakens

its_beautiful.jpg.jpg

Well, given the hype I was braced for disappointment. George Lucas has been f*****g me over for years. Not just with the prequels that showed a director who had seriously lost whatever mojo he'd had back in the 70's (and a talented editor for a wife) but also coming back to tinker with the originals over and over. Thankfully his grubby mits are no where near this one and as a result I'm glad to say this was the most entertaining film I've seen all year, narrowly edging out Turbo kid.

Like this? Share it using the links below!