Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

James Morton 25th May 2012 12:05 PM

saw THE FLOCK with Richard Gere and Clare Danes on the horror channel the other night
never heard of this one before
wasn't bad, though for the first 40 mins or so, it looked like a tv film
overall, it wasn't a bad psychological thriller

keirarts 25th May 2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 244522)
This is where the myth came from said he was an urban legend that scouts were told by there leaders while camping in the woods. Just happened that the legend was based on fact and this guy actually went around taking kids and murdering them.

I have seen a few clips of this and heard alot about it. Even the few clips i seen were disturbing enough.

Got round to actually watching cropsey, fantastic and chilling documentary all the way. Cheers for the reccomendation :)

Also saw Jesus camp not so long back, seriously give it a generation or two and america will probably have its own christian version of the taliban.

damek 25th May 2012 03:34 PM

I watched Shrooms the other night. The characters in this movie eat mushrooms (or drink a brew made with it) and the trip kicks in instantly. That means they could never be saved if they -for instance- ate a lethal mushroom, cause apparently the poison gets into their system in like a second.

But anyway, this becomes sort of a 'survival horror' trip on mushrooms, and I thought it was cool, and knowing how long the movie was, I thought a little short. I had to come back from that at about the hour mark though. It got pretty tedious from then on, and I couldn't really wait for it to end.

For some reason, one of the females in the movie had a lot of armpit hair.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th May 2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244666)
I love this film so very much. I'm off to see it at the cinema at 3am on Sunday morning; should be quite the experience!

You really know how to make David Lynch fans jealous!

sawyer6 25th May 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244666)
I love this film so very much. I'm off to see it at the cinema at 3am on Sunday morning; should be quite the experience!

Huge fan here! I watched it at the cinema when it was released.When it finished someone yelled ''Is there anyone here that knows what happened'' and I replied I know everything but I won't tell you nothing !:laugh:

PaulD 25th May 2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 244813)
You really know how to make David Lynch fans jealous!

Tyneside Cinema Nos! 35mm print too! Get yerself on a train and get down there!

sawyer6 25th May 2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244848)

I'll get a plane!

Gojirosan 25th May 2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damek (Post 244785)

If I had known this this morning, I would have bought the Blu-Ray that I saw in Asda for a fiver.

Hawkmonger 25th May 2012 08:52 PM

Fem-Armpit Hair? Ugh! :ack:
:tongue1:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th May 2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 244889)

Damn hippies...

damek 26th May 2012 09:16 AM

Watched Clownhouse last night. Must admit a few parts were really pretty great in the sense that I thought they were genuinely scary. A minor flaw in this movie is the performance of the 2 youngest kids. It's not very good, though not distracting. What I thought was weird was that the clowns were quite clumsy at the times it really mattered.

Gojirosan 26th May 2012 09:22 AM

Cropsey - pretty decent true crime documentary, which neatly sidesteps having nothing new to show us by simple and effective story-telling. A bit muddled at times, but excusable as the budget was clearly about 30 quid!

Lake Mungo - extremely well made "mockumentary" about ghosts and grief. Far, far superior to most of the crap "found footage"/fake doc things that have been about the last few years. A real gem of a film.

Confessions Of A Teenage Drama Queen - adequate teen comedy. Formula. Has Lindsey Lohan, Allison Pill and Carol Kane in though, so worth a watch.

PaulD 26th May 2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damek (Post 244961)
Watched Clownhouse last night. Must admit a few parts were really pretty great in the sense that I thought they were genuinely scary. A minor flaw in this movie is the performance of the 2 youngest kids. It's not very good, though not distracting. What I thought was weird was that the clowns were quite clumsy at the times it really mattered.

To be fair to them, they probably had greater problems on their mind during the filming :shocked:

damek 26th May 2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244968)
To be fair to them, they probably had greater problems on their mind during the filming :shocked:

yeah, i guess you are right.http://members.chello.nl/a.winkel4/forum/kotssmiley.gif

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th May 2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244848)

If I'd known about this week or so ago I'd have been able to make arrangements but, sadly and despite living about 35 miles away, I won't be able to make it.

James Morton 26th May 2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

:embarassed::shocked::sad:

Susan Foreman 26th May 2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 244889)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 244907)
Damn hippies...

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 245013)
:embarassed::shocked::sad:

Ok - once again it seems that you males have no idea of what goes on inside a female world

Depending on what I am wearing, and whether I have to do it or not, I can (and do) go days without shaving my armpits

Guys - think of how uncomfortable it is when you shave your faces every day, and then imagine how uncomfy it is when you do under your arms every day. If you DON'T shave everyday, then you really have no right to comment on girls who have hairy armpits or legs etc. If you DO shave everyday, then I offer you a challenge - tomorrow you shave your armpits and legs and do it everyday for a whole week

Feminists of the world...unite!

pedromonkey 26th May 2012 12:51 PM

here's a few films i've watched in the last week or so...

THE DARKEST HOUR: One of the worst films of the year, badly written, directed and acted with only some interesting Visual FX to keep any form of interest in the film. Had a neat premise that was never capitalized on and the film makes some major mistakes. Avoid.

THE GREY: I was looking forward to this but for some reason found myself looking for other things to do while it was on which eventually caused me switch the film off around the hour mark, that's not to say i think it's a rubbish film, i just don't think i was in the right mood to watch it, will give it another go soon.

DIE HARD: Awesome! nuff said

FOUR BROTHERS: interesting take on the blaxploitation genre that updates it to modern detroit. Great soul soundtrack and some pretty good performances from all involved. Has some pretty good action scenes too.

BLOOD CAR: Low budget indie horror comedy about a car that runs on blood, not especially funny or horrific but passed the time nicely. Worth a look if you find it on the horror channel.

SHOOTER: Mark Wahlburg is a sniper set up by a shady government agent played by Danny Glover in an assassination plot. Well made with some good action scenes but went on far to long. The plot was done much better in 1995' Most Wanted but worth a look for action fans.

THE KILLING MACHINE/ICARUS: Dolph Lundgren plays former KGB assassin now working for the russian mob in America who botches a hit in Hong Kong and finds a contract has been placed on his head. Actually a pretty damn good action thriller, less full blown action movie and more crime/thriller. Lundgren is actually quite a charismatic actor. Check it out.

CHRONICLE: Really interesting take on the superhero genre, more a rise of a super villain than the usual comic book style movie. Goes very dark towards the end and pretty much turns into AKIRA. Definitely worth a look. Recommended.

WAR OF THE DEAD: Action/horror hybrid set in WW2 involving nazi zombies. Very well made with some really good camera set ups and some really well choreographed action scenes. The plot should have looked more into the idea of the key and maybe have been a bit longer. Andrew Tiernan was miss cast as the lead as his American accent is terrible. Recommended fun popcorn movie though.

IRON SKY: Absolutely mental sci-fi comedy war movie about the nazi retreating to the moon in 1945 and returning 70s years later. Some of the comedy falls flat but if you look past some of those jokes and look at the ideas behind the film, it's actually a really great film. The Special FX are fantastic and there is a full on space battle during the finale. Definitely worth a rent.

Hawkmonger 26th May 2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 245022)
Ok - once again it seems that you males have no idea of what goes on inside a female world

Depending on what I am wearing, and whether I have to do it or not, I can (and do) go days without shaving my armpits

Guys - think of how uncomfortable it is when you shave your faces every day, and then imagine how uncomfy it is when you do under your arms every day. If you DON'T shave everyday, then you really have no right to comment on girls who have hairy armpits or legs etc. If you DO shave everyday, then I offer you a challenge - tomorrow you shave your armpits and legs and do it everyday for a whole week

Notice how I put a :tongue1: in?
I'm all for pro-feminism. It's just fem-armpit hair tend's to put me off pulling the rope's. Just personal taste. Leg's? What the hell! Lady Garden? Give it a shot! But armpit hair? :coolblue:

James Morton 26th May 2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 245030)
I'm all for pro-feminism. It's just fem-armpit hair tend's to put me off pulling the rope's. Just personal taste. Leg's? What the hell! Lady Garden? Give it a shot! But armpit hair? :coolblue:

I have always thought a girl with hairy armpits UNSEXY
and practically most girls I do know like to be clean and shaved, esp with this hot weather, and my girlfriend shaves elsewhere....not complaining about that!!
:);):tongue1:

Susan Foreman 26th May 2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 245030)

Do I take it that you are not accepting my challenge?

:rasp:

keirarts 26th May 2012 04:11 PM

Just been to see Men in black 3.

I know, I know, but its hot as hell outside and the cinema has decent aircon, and the screening was 2d so what the hell.

To put it bluntly it feels very much like sony needs the money, Will smith needs a hit and Tommy lee Jones got paid a nice chunk of cash for doing very little. The whole affair REEKS of sony unearthing a popular franchise, dusting it off and cashing in. Added to that no talking pug.

On the plus side Josh Brolin is astonishing and appears to be channelling the spirit of tommy lee jones effortlessly (perhaps tommy's dead and posessing him?)
The bloke from Flight of the choncords (yay!) plays a great baddy and the film was pretty fun if not a little overlong. Not deserving of some of the more scathing criticism given to it, but its perhaps on par with the dissapointing second movie.

(for the record I actually really like the origional)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th May 2012 05:46 PM

Nice review Keirarts.

Its one for the collection when it hits the sales.

keirarts 26th May 2012 06:09 PM

I'm now about 80 minutes into the artist and i've got to say i'm not loving it.

That's not to say I think its bad either, just a little overrated and mel brooks did it so much better with SILENT MOVIE. Possibly one of the things that irked me with the publicity for the film was the critics who seemed to think shooting the movie silently in 4:3 was somehow bold and innovative, even the H.P. Lovecraft society got there before them with the excellent CALL OF CTHULU.

I would say this ranks up there in the list of undeserving oscar awards because in no way is it film of the year. It's entertaining enough and the dogs funny, it just seems to be hyped by critics who seem unable to remember films made more than 10 years ago.

I'd rather stick on the Mel brooks film next time, or just go back and watch the origional NOSFERATU, Metropolis, Vampyr , Cabinet of dr caligari buster keaton, chaplin ect. ect... if I ever want to watch another silent movie.

VicDakin 26th May 2012 06:19 PM

13 Assassins (2010)

1 Attachment(s)
13 Assassins (2010)
Just started to watch this 13 Assassins (2010)

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 26th May 2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 245022)

I wish I could permanently loose all body hair except eyebrows and my beard and mustache. I am lazy sometimes and let my head hair grow out for a week or two but any longer and I feel like I am wearing a giant wool hat. When I am not lazy I shave my head every two days. But I cannot go two days without shaving my armpits. Call me crazy but I think armpit hair just looks silly on everyone.
Like an unkempt hobo sleeping under your arms.

Back on topic, I watched The Pack the other night. I did not care for it too much. It had a nice concept and the creature design was interesting, but every characters actions just made no sense. Glad I didn't buy it blindly.

Nordicdusk 26th May 2012 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 66348

Attachment 66349

Hawkmonger 26th May 2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 245035)
Do I take it that you are not accepting my challenge?

:rasp:

Nope. :heh:

sawyer6 26th May 2012 09:30 PM

1)2)3)4)5)The final five parts,the three last one are simple bad, especially Son, 6),7) I have watched part one several times as a teenager, classic softcore trash,now Revenge is worse but the only ''good'' thing about it is that we witness the birth of the Hoff:p 8),9),10)three classic masterpieces on high definition, looking better as ever!11)very mediocre ,12)Female Market, pinku movie about a group of people who kidnap young girls and use them as sex toys,not my cup of tea,I simple have it as a reference to the genre,13)The Burmese Harp,another great movie by Kon Ichikawa 14)just a waste of time even worse than avp,15)this is probably the most hilarious part,pure comedy ;) 16)this was the first that I watched this haunting movie,it made me to think about it for days http://i46.tinypic.com/2nsxco5.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th May 2012 09:33 PM

Some great films there, sawyer. :thumb:

You're dead right about The Vanishing, too; chills you to the very core and lingers in the back of your mind for many a day afterwards: Tremendous film.

keirarts 26th May 2012 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Two more films tonight.

First was an Austrian film from director Markus Schleinzer, a protoge' of Michael Haneke. Film was called MICHAEL.

Attachment 66352

A slow burning, chilling, suspensful and sometimes darkly comical tale of an Icy cold austrian man who keeps a young boy locked in his basement. in terms of style its VERY reminiscent of classic michael haneke. Very believable and lacking any melodrama the film is one of the best i've seen this year and definately outclasses even the excellent SNOWTOWN for sheer discomfort and unease. One part, where the seemingly quiet and dull office drone visits a furniture shop and buys his young prisoner a bunk bed, with the clear implication he's going to abduct another child sent shivers down my spine, yet as I said it also has some very dark humour, especially when the creepy scumbag goes on a lads weekend skiing with his bosses and his pitful attempts at skiing and seducing a barmaid to make himself look good actually made me chuckle.

Highly reccomended.

IRON SKY.

Don't think I really need to explain this one suffice to say it was something of a relief after sitting through michael. Not perfect by any means but very entertaining and takes a few interesting swipes at america and global politics. More could have been made of the nazi's interactions with modern day america, so perhaps a wasted opportunity there but the film is still highly reccomended nontheless.

sawyer6 26th May 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 245149)
Two more films tonight.

First was an Austrian film from director Markus Schleinzer, a protoge' of Michael Haneke. Film was called MICHAEL.

Attachment 66352

A slow burning, chilling, suspensful and sometimes darkly comical tale of an Icy cold austrian man who keeps a young boy locked in his basement. in terms of style its VERY reminiscent of classic michael haneke. Very believable and lacking any melodrama the film is one of the best i've seen this year and definately outclasses even the excellent SNOWTOWN for sheer discomfort and unease. One part, where the seemingly quiet and dull office drone visits a furniture shop and buys his young prisoner a bunk bed, with the clear implication he's going to abduct another child sent shivers down my spine, yet as I said it also has some very dark humour, especially when the creepy scumbag goes on a lads weekend skiing with his bosses and his pitful attempts at skiing and seducing a barmaid to make himself look good actually made me chuckle.

Highly reccomended.

Watched that on my city's film festival and even met the star Michael Fuith.He's such a nice guy,he told me that people were scared of him during Q's and A's because of the role!Very shocking movie with a very powerful and meaningful ending

Gojirosan 26th May 2012 10:00 PM

Find A Place To Die - an efficient and well shot SW from the under-rated Giuliano Carnimeo. A few too many padding scenes of people silently riding horses through various terrains, but the excellent action scenes make up for this. Story seems to be based on Henry Hathaway's Hollywood oater Garden Of Evil. Sadly the US print of Find A Place To Die isn't complete, but it's only a few minutes.

Sand Sharks - excellent tongue-in-cheek comedy B flick piss-take. Everyone is clearly having a ball making it and the fun is infectious. Knowing and witty script.

Slippery Jack 26th May 2012 10:04 PM

Just watched Waxwork for the first time. Good shonky fun, in a make-it-up-as-we-go-along kind of way. That weird 80s mix of kids TV plotting and extreme gore effects - though it peaked way too early with the werewolf and vampire segments. I missed the inventive splatter during the lacklustre climax - could've done with a Raimi or Dante touch to liven up the material . . .

keirarts 26th May 2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 245155)
Just watched Waxwork for the first time. Good shonky fun, in a make-it-up-as-we-go-along kind of way. That weird 80s mix of kids TV plotting and extreme gore effects - though it peaked way too early with the werewolf and vampire segments. I missed the inventive splatter during the lacklustre climax - could've done with a Raimi or Dante touch to liven up the material . . .

personally I love the movie. You should seek out, LOST IN TIME: WAXWORK 2.

keirarts 26th May 2012 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=sawyer6;245152]
Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 245149)
Two more films tonight.

Attachment 66352

Highly reccomended.

QUOTE]

Watched that on my city's film festival and even met the star Michael Fuith.He's such a nice guy,he told me that people were scared of him during Q's and A's because of the role!Very shocking movie with a very powerful and meaningful ending

Its actually become one of my favourites of the year. The central performance from the star was astonishing. Glad to hear he's a nice bloke in real life.

Frankie Teardrop 26th May 2012 11:42 PM

OUT OF THE BLUE - Dennis Hopper's bleak and disturbing portrait of familial breakdown in early eighties Vancouver. Its grim realism has a fluid, almost verite feel in places, but this is tempered by the occasional weirdly Lynchian vignette. Anyway, it's massively depressing stuff but still manages to move (although at one point all gravitas is almost overwhelmed by someone off camera doing a split second acoustic busk of Devo's 'Mongoloid'). Goes into overdrive and dips into psychosexual grindhouse territory at the very end, but even this sudden pitch into melodrama works in a film that feels like a rough, searing bricolage. I'd been trying to get hold of it for ages, but the dvd always seemed to be ++ and not very available - however, it's on Lovefilm and deserves a wider audience than it seems to have.

artisturn 27th May 2012 06:13 AM

Just finished watching Blood Sabbath (1972)

This is in the Pure terror 50 pack put out by Mill Creek and I was surprised how much nudity was in the movie, not complaining about the nudity just surprised how much there was.

I can easily see this being released by Redemption if they haven't already .

gag 27th May 2012 06:47 AM

American pie reunion.... tbh its first time in yrs ive actual liked a comedy cant remember last time that happend.. ive detested comedies for yrs because there just been crap or not in the slightest bit funny.

Hawkmonger 27th May 2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 245216)
American pie reunion.... tbh its first time in yrs ive actual liked a comedy cant remember last time that happend.. ive detested comedies for yrs because there just been crap or not in the slightest bit funny.

I have a loathing for the AP series. So dull and un-funny.