All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179516Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2015, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2008)

A going concern since 1978, Anvil are a heavy metal band who in 1982 released Metal on Metal, an album recognized as influencing and inspiring the likes of Metallica and Anthrax. Despite this they remained commercially unsuccessful and struggled through the decades despite releasing 12 albums.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil is a documentary that looks at a loss making European tour and the trials and tribulations of self producing their 13th album. Concentrating on singer Steve 'Lips' Kudlow and drummer Robb Reiner the bands two constant members and friends since they were children, the film is a heartwarming story of friendship and a life long attempt to achieve success against all the odds.

The European tour that forms the first third of the film is a disaster. Ruined by terrible management of the band and dodgy venue chiefs in Eastern Europe unwilling to pay the band their fees night after night. Some of this is so sad it's almost tragic. Seeing the band perform to 174 people in a 10,000 capacity venue verges on the pathetic, yet it's also remarkably funny as well. All through this the guys try to keep positive sure that success will eventually find them.

The rest of the film follows the guys as they attempt to make the album and get it out to the fans. Despite snagging a favour from acclaimed producer Chris Tsangarides and recording the album in England, record companies don't want to know and all seems lost.

Then a Japanese fan from their early days hears the album and invites them to Japan to play a metal festival which the band jump at only to discover they are opening the show at the unearthly hour of 11.30 am.

What follows is a definite bottom lip wobbling moment as the band, unprepared for what's to come, take the stage in front of ten thousand screaming fans.

Terrific stuff, this is highly recommended.
I heard about this when it came out Dem but thought it would just be another fly on the wall doc. This sounds wicked, a definite watch for me now. Cheers.
Old 21st December 2015, 02:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo rosso View Post
I heard about this when it came out Dem but thought it would just be another fly on the wall doc. This sounds wicked, a definite watch for me now. Cheers.
Nice one.

The beauty of it is i've now put the album This is 13 on my wishlist for the new year as it sounds excellent. That Tsangarides production really sounds the business. I'm expecting cringe worthy lyrics though.
Old 21st December 2015, 03:06 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2008)

Terrific stuff, this is highly recommended.
I adore this film, I have re-watched it numerous times, I think I might look at it again this week! I love the Eastern European tour manager who screws everything up - you can really feel the tensions rising.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st December 2015, 03:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I adore this film, I have re-watched it numerous times, I think I might look at it again this week! I love the Eastern European tour manager who screws everything up - you can really feel the tensions rising.
A human story. Made me cry. Ahem.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014, Ana Lily Amirpour)

Well, this has the potential to be a contender, if only I hadn't been so tired when we watched it. Vampire on a skateboard anyone? Will re watch sharpish!! Intrigued...also saw a trailer for Catch Me Daddy which is from last year as well, something I hadn't heard of at all...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st December 2015, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Nice one.

The beauty of it is i've now put the album This is 13 on my wishlist for the new year as it sounds excellent. That Tsangarides production really sounds the business. I'm expecting cringe worthy lyrics though.
managed pick it up off fleabay on blu delivered for £3!
Old 21st December 2015, 08:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (2015) Well seen it and I still think 'Empire' is the best of the series. I was disappointed to be honest. It was ok but not the experiance I was hoping for.
Old 21st December 2015, 09:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Schizoid (1980)

Psychiatrist Klaus Kinski's patients are knocked off one by one by a scissor wielding maniac as a gossip columnist reporter (Marianna Hill) investigates whilst receiving death threats herself. Could the two be connected?

Part of a Scream Factory double bill with X-Ray. Schizoid isn't as sleazy or bloody and is something of a disappointment despite it's often Giallo like feel.

Whilst i always find Kinski good value his role was somewhat limited in this despite top lining the film. Hill who had far more screen time was far less engaging. The sporadic bouts of violence livened things up - the hot tub murder was nicely done - but the film was oh so predictable, even to the point of me guessing at an early stage who the killer was and who was the red herring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (87.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st December 2015, 11:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (2015) Well seen it and I still think 'Empire' is the best of the series. I was disappointed to be honest. It was ok but not the experiance I was hoping for.
I would agree that Empire is the best. I feel VII may be my second favourite until they release the original series without all the 'added extras' as a lot of it gives me headaches. The new film felt a lot less uncluttered. I went to see it again and it still holds up well. Could use a little more exposition perhaps but still bundles of fun.
trebor8273 and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 22nd December 2015, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Devil Girl From Mars (1954) To make up for my somewhat disappointment with Star Wars Episode VII I decided to to see this (!). I've only ever seen clips of this before, caught myself humming the Imperial March as the Martian Girl decended from her 'saucer'!
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Christmas Horror Marathon #17

Eyeball (1975)

A killer in a red plastic mac murders a bus load of American tourists visiting Spain, removing their right eyeball as he goes.

Whilst parts of this Umberto Lenzi directed giallo work other times a visit to the optician and reading the eye chart is more exciting, especially during the many mind numbing conversations that bring the films pace to a near halt.

Some of the kills are sweetly done, the largely female bus passengers all seemed happy to shed their clothes and the final pay off caught me by surprise but this was perhaps because my mind was starting to wander a little.

I'm not sure which Umberto Lenzi turned up to direct this but i'm pretty certain it wasn't the same one as made the excellent Nightmare City, Violent Naples and Rome Armed to the Teeth.

A middle of the road Lenzi film. More Nightmare Beach than Seven Bloodstained Orchids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyeball-title-e1361390480268.jpg (100.7 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!