Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Susan Foreman 27th May 2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 245216)
American pie reunion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 245218)
I have a loathing for the AP series. So dull and un-funny.

I preferred 'American Pie' when it was called 'Animal House'!

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th May 2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 245218)
I have a loathing for the AP series. So dull and un-funny.

Your funny bone must've been removed. :tongue1:

Hawkmonger 27th May 2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 245220)
Your funny bone must've been removed. :tongue1:

Adam Sandler with his dick in a apple pie. Oh my sides.

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th May 2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 245223)

Don't watch a lot of Adam Sandler films either I take it? :D

Paul@TheOverlook 27th May 2012 08:26 AM

:D

I like many of Sandler's films!

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th May 2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 245226)

Same here.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th May 2012 08:48 AM

People are sniffy about them but his films make a lot of money. I think he's funny. I love Happy Gilmore, Bulletproof and Wedding Singer. In fact there's not been one of his headlining films that I've not liked from Billy Madison on. Not much of a fan of Waterboy or Jack and Jill though :D

PaulD 27th May 2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 245223)

My thoughts when I saw said crucial scene was simply "fair enough, shag the apple pie, but at least TAKE IT INTO YOUR BEDROOM SO NO-ONE CAN SEE YOU FIRST!". Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th May 2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 245232)
My thoughts when I saw said crucial scene was simply "fair enough, shag the apple pie, but at least TAKE IT INTO YOUR BEDROOM SO NO-ONE CAN SEE YOU FIRST!". Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Perhaps he thought it would have cooled down by the time he took it to his bedroom. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th May 2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 245226)

I've said this before and I'll probably say it again: I don't think Adam Sandler is funny and don't like the films from the Happy Madison company. I suppose a lot of it is to do with the completely subjective nature of comedy as I thought he was superb in Punch Drunk Love, so definitely horses for courses.

The same applies to Rob Schneider (apart from the Punch Drunk Love it, obviously!).

Paul@TheOverlook 27th May 2012 10:47 AM

Boo!

I like Punch Drunk Love of course, but never understood the critical acclaim for Sandler's performance as, to me, it's a variation of what he usually plays only that it's transposed to a less comedic, more quirky milieu.

Slippery Jack 27th May 2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 245173)
personally I love the movie. You should seek out, LOST IN TIME: WAXWORK 2.

No need. It's on the same dvd. Might watch it later on . . .

Hawkmonger 27th May 2012 11:56 AM

The only Sandler film that has ever made me laugh (like, truely laugh) is Happy Gilmore. The guy just isn't that great a comedian in my opinion.

Douch Bigalo. Sorry, Rob Schneider. Doesn't really do much for me either.

gag 27th May 2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 245281)
The only Sandler film that has ever made me laugh (like, truely laugh) is Happy Gilmore. The guy just isn't that great a comedian in my opinion.

Douch Bigalo. Sorry, Rob Schneider. Doesn't really do much for me either.

snap totaly agree think a lot of so called comedian actors are just not funny
And as for A P series there a hell a of a lot more amusing than most comedies of today that just done even remotly make me chuckle i mean run fat boy run . paul . MMMM no thanks id rather do what he did in A P go stick my private parts in something im not meant to than watch films like these hell id even slice it up and down a cheese grater be less painfull....i seriously can not think the last comedy that actualy made me laugh...Sorry but take eddie murphy for eg dont mind him as a actor etc but be honest 95% of his films are awful and terrible...
Beverly hills cop
Trading place
48hrs

are just about only decent films he done maybe the odd one or so i forgot to mention.. films like shrek are technicaly animation and he does voice over...

James Morton 27th May 2012 12:47 PM

BASIC INSTINCT 2 - only seen bits and pieces of this film before I think,
anway saw it last night and despite the bad reviews the film has, I thought it was a good film

Gojirosan 27th May 2012 01:43 PM

Which American Pie film has Adam Sandler in it? :confused:

I remember enjoying the American Pie films and certainly would not have done if Adam Bloody Sandler had been in them!

Gojirosan 27th May 2012 04:06 PM

I Am Sartana, Your Angel Of Death/Sartana The Gravedigger

This is the second official Sartana film and the first directed by my man, Giuliano Carnimeo. Excellent SW from 1970, well up to the quality of the first Sartana flick, in fact, possibly better made technically. There is some wonderful camerawork (jerking and tilting the camera as characters are hit by bullets is very effective and impressive, for example). This film crams SO MUCH into its running time, and manages almost non-stop action AND a sense of atmosphere. Excellent stuff.

The version in the Sartana boxset is a pretty good amateur restoration. There is a non-anamorphic version in the correct ratio from a decent, German source and the dialogue scenes are cross-faded in from a VHS source. So the soundtrack is a mixed bag.

As ever, Gianni Garko is charismatic and excellent as Sartana, and Klaus Kinski's character is a riot and deserving of his own film.

Pete 27th May 2012 04:23 PM

AMOK TRAIN (aka BEYOND THE DOOR 3)

A gruesome, late 80's Italian horror inspired by RUNAWAY TRAIN. Most Italian horror's from the late 80's are really bad and suffer from poor cinematography, terrible acting and amateurish gore. But, thankfully, AMOK TRAIN is an exception; it was filmed in 'scope and the cinematography is superb, using the Serbian locations to good effect. The cast are actually pretty good (Bo Svenson taking top honours. Keep a look out for Alex Vitale from STRIKE COMMANDO) and the gore effects are impressive (the scene in which one of the characters tear their own face apart is the highlight).

Gojirosan 27th May 2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 245350)

A gruesome, late 80's Italian horror inspired by RUNAWAY TRAIN. Most Italian horror's from the late 80's are really bad and suffer from poor cinematography, terrible acting and amateurish gore. But, thankfully, AMOK TRAIN is an exception; it was filmed in 'scope and the cinematography is superb, using the Serbian locations to good effect. The cast are actually pretty good (Bo Svenson taking top honours. Keep a look out for Alex Vitale from STRIKE COMMANDO) and the gore effects are impressive (the scene in which one of the characters tear their own face apart is the highlight).

I do really want to see this.

Pete 27th May 2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 245351)

Get the Shriek Show edition - it's in it's proper ratio and has some decent extras. You can get it from Amazon for around a fiver.

keirarts 27th May 2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 245219)
I preferred 'American Pie' when it was called 'Animal House'!

preferred it even more when it was called porky's.

keirarts 27th May 2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 245351)

its also worth noting that amok train is an Ovidio G. Assonitis production. (hence the alternate title beyond the door 3) Its like a lot of his output, shite, but very entertaining shite with plenty of charm.

Pete 27th May 2012 05:11 PM

Better than PORKY'S :p

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th May 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 245361)
Better than PORKY'S :p

There's NOTHING better than Porky's!!

keirarts 27th May 2012 10:05 PM

Porky's is the greatest, though animal house was damn fine.

I guess the main point was American pie stole a lot more from porky's, its entire central plot about the teens wanting to lose their cherry's and of course sticking dicks where they don't belong.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th May 2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 245350)

I've always avoided this one because I really dislike most late 80s Italian horror. I'll take your words as an endorsement and seek it out. Cheers!

Pete 27th May 2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 245454)
I've always avoided this one because I really dislike most late 80s Italian horror. I'll take your words as an endorsement and seek it out. Cheers!

It's probably the best one I've seen. Of course it's not without it's silly moments, such as the train derailing itself to storm across a lake, but it's a lot of fun.

Paul@TheOverlook 27th May 2012 10:17 PM

Even some of the stuff from the 70s heyday is not without moments of stupidity ;)

bdc 27th May 2012 10:29 PM

I also liked Amok Train. :)

DryJack 27th May 2012 11:10 PM

Watched "The Revenant" tonight. Totally messed up film. Funny, violent, great effects and a cool ending. Loved every minute. Highly reccomended.

Gojirosan 28th May 2012 12:34 AM

Today It's Me...Tomorrow You/Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die!

Superior 1968 SW is one of the handful of films (his first and the only western) directed by writer/producer Tonino Cervi. An excellent cast on top of their game and a decent script with some fine, terse dialogue ("Don't talk, shoot...and shoot to kill..."), but the real star is the cinematography. The film looks wonderful, particularly in the extended climactic shoot-out sequence which occurs in a dense Autumn wood in daylight and at night. The man behind the camera was Sergio D'Offizi.

And the chance to see the great Tatsuya Nakadai in an Italian Western with the likes of Brett Halsey, William Berger and Bud Spencer is one surely no-one wants to miss!

Pete 28th May 2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 245483)
Today It's Me...Tomorrow You!/Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die!

Superior 1968 SW is one of the handful of films (his first and the only western) directed by writer/producer Tonino Cervi. An excellent cast on top of their game and a decent script with some fine, terse dialogue ("Don't talk, shoot...and shoot to kill..."), but the real star is the cinematography. The film looks wonderful, particularly in the extended climactic shoot-out sequence which occurs in a dense Autumn wood in daylight and at night. The man behind the camera was Sergio D'Offizi.

And the chance to see the great Tatsuya Nakadai in an Italian Western with the likes of Brett Halsey, William Berger and Bud Spencer is one surely no-one wants to miss!

I've seen this but I can't remember a thing about it, other than it was co-written by Dario Argento, a white horse being tripped over and that Brett Halsey is credited as Montgomery Ford.

I sold it to someone on here. Was it you?

Gojirosan 28th May 2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 245484)
I can't remember a thing about this one, other than it was co-written by Dario Argento and that Brett Halsey is credited as Montgomery Ford or something.

I sold it to someone on here. Was it you?

May have been. I can't remember which AWE I got from you and which I got in that mental Boostep sale the other year.

The AWE version is a big improvement over the Arkiv VHS that I have and am used to. Especially the night scenes.

It also has a better picture and is longer than the VCI version. Though the VCI one seems to have slightly better (though still not great) audio.

Gojirosan 28th May 2012 01:15 AM

OK, this is the weirdest thing...

I am just checking the VCI release of Today It's Me Tomorrow You, having just watched the AWE one.

Now, the AWE release is PAL and runs 98 minutes (meaning a cinema running time of around 101/102 minutes).

The VCI release runs under 95 minutes, meaning a cinema running time of, well, around 95 minutes!

They are from different sources.

Yet, having scanned through the VCI, I swear that nothing has been cut, and certainly not nearly 7 minutes of footage!

I realise that VCI are not the most "high end" of companies, do you think it conceivable that they have sped up the film slightly in order to fit two films on one DVD? If so, does this mean that the other film (The Stranger's Gundown/Django The Bastard) is not cut either, despite what I have read on the 'net?

I am very intrigued. Any more technically minded folk who can comment on the feasibility of speeding up film slightly in this way?

Pete 28th May 2012 01:17 AM

I don't think DJANGO THE BASTARD/STRANGERS is cut, I think it has a scene in the wrong place or something. Could be wrong about that though.

Gojirosan 28th May 2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 245493)
I don't think DJANGO THE BASTARD/STRANGERS is cut, I think it has a scene in the wrong place or something. Could be wrong about that though.

Yeah, they shifted the pre-credits sequence and made it a flashback.

Django The Bastard runs the same length as my other versions of it.

So it's just Today... that's the weird one! :confused:

PaulD 28th May 2012 09:59 AM

As per the Tyneside Cinem's 75 Years of Film event on Saturday night/yesterday I watched

Reservoir Dogs
Evil Dead 2
Mulholland Drive
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Strangers on a Train
The Third Man
Annie Hall
Fargo

All on the big screen, and for 75p a ticket each. A truly fantastic weekend.

sawyer6 28th May 2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 245516)
As per the Tyneside Cinem's 75 Years of Film event on Saturday night/yesterday I watched

Reservoir Dogs
Evil Dead 2
Mulholland Drive
Strangers on a Train
The Third Man
Annie Hall
Fargo

Fantastic indeed !

Gojirosan 28th May 2012 02:31 PM

The Tunnel (2011, D: Carlo Ledesma)

A very flawed but also very interesting mockumentary/found footage job from Australia.

What lets it down are occasional amateurishness in acting and script and attempts to compensate by "trying too hard". Also it is crippingly derivative - the spirits of REC, The Descent, Blair Witch and others are constantly tapping your shoulder throughout.

What is good is the story idea (the water recycling start to the story, the hints of cover-up from above), the setting (glorious tunnels beneath Sydney) and the characterisations. These people are not very pleasant or sympathetic, but they are developed and it is a shame that the acting was not quite up to the mark.

In a way, the film seems like a "demo", and as such it's a very impressive one. With better direction and actors this idea could have been a winner. As it is, it is still worth a watch.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th May 2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 245516)

Reservoir Dogs
Evil Dead 2
Mulholland Drive
Strangers on a Train
The Third Man
Annie Hall
Fargo

That's a great list of films – I would have loved to be there.