Old 11th January 2016, 04:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Final Girl (2015)

An enjoyable if slight horror thriller that plays out like a cross between La Femme Nikita and The Most Dangerous Game.

Abigail Breslin plays a young woman trained as a killer by Wes Bentley and then sent out on a mission to stop a gang of lads who murder blonde girls out in the forest by drugging them, freeing them then hunting them down.

Although generally a bit of fun the film is quite low budget and the whole hunt scenario with Breslin is drawn out a bit too long, so much so that the 'training' first part of the movie with Bentley is the more interesting. However for an undemanding ninety minutes Final Girl is worth a look.
I think that is very accurate and certainly echoes my feelings about the film. It's one which feels both fresh and a pastiche of other films with similar themes and scenes, two of which you mentioned, but I was also reminded of Kick-Ass.

It is a film which is very limited in scope and scale, something which, unusually, works to its advantage as you are able to concentrate on the characters and sparse locations in the rather brief running time rather than be distracted by anything which isn't essential to the narrative.

Like you, I enjoyed it, and certainly wouldn't be averse to a sequel, a feeling/thought which doesn't often occur.
Old 11th January 2016, 04:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think that is very accurate and certainly echoes my feelings about the film. It's one which feels both fresh and a pastiche of other films with similar themes and scenes, two of which you mentioned, but I was also reminded of Kick-Ass.

It is a film which is very limited in scope and scale, something which, unusually, works to its advantage as you are able to concentrate on the characters and sparse locations in the rather brief running time rather than be distracted by anything which isn't essential to the narrative.

Like you, I enjoyed it, and certainly wouldn't be averse to a sequel, a feeling/thought which doesn't often occur.
I've only seen Kick Ass the once. In what way did it remind you?
Old 11th January 2016, 04:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've only seen Kick Ass the once. In what way did it remind you?
Just the relationship between the (older) male and (younger) female characters, with the former, almost without emotion, teaching the latter to become a deadly killing machine. However, the same 'teacher-pupil' relationship, without any blood ties, also existed in Nikita, something you said in your review.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th January 2016, 04:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Just the relationship between the (older) male and (younger) female characters, with the former, almost without emotion, teaching the latter to become a deadly killing machine. However, the same 'teacher-pupil' relationship, without any blood ties, also existed in Nikita, something you said in your review.
Right. I should really watch Kick Ass again. I did enjoy it, not seen the sequel either.
Old 11th January 2016, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452541770.535827.jpg

I would of rated this higher but like keirarts I just couldn't stand James Le Gross, not half the actor Mike Baldwin is but it was a studio movie and they wanted the good looking all American boy type, even if he couldn't act. 8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452541782.751635.jpg

4.8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452541801.197693.jpg

7/10

Going to watch this next to honour David Bowie

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452541839.716750.jpg
Old 11th January 2016, 06:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Pastoral: To Die in the Country (Den-en ni shisu) (1974)

81/100
Old 11th January 2016, 06:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I found Eyeball really disappointing when i saw it over Christmas. I'd have preferred to watch B_E's avatar for 90 mins.
Old 11th January 2016, 06:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I found Eyeball really disappointing when i saw it over Christmas. I'd have preferred to watch B_E's avatar for 90 mins.
I don't know if that's an insult or a compliment but I'll take it!

As for Eyeball, it's okay but nothing special where gialli are concerned.
Old 11th January 2016, 08:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Barrens (2012)

True Blood's Stephen Moyer (Here speaking with his normal English accent which surprised me as i'd forgotten he was British) and Mia Kirshner, star in this film about a family on a camping trip in the forests of New Jersey. Before long Moyer suspects they are being stalked by the legendary Jersey Devil.

As a whole The Barrens is pretty good. A gripping final half hour makes up for an extremely slow opening. Although slow the film is never boring which is probably testament to Moyer's acting rather than anything else the script has to offer. The film has a nice wicked witchery back story about a woman cast out from her village with her 13th child who she offers up as a sacrifice to the devil, but the rest is mainly the family bickering and going about their mundane camping holiday until Moyer is suspected of contracting rabies.

It's not until the climax that Saw director Darren Lynn Bousman lets things run riot and the film's early promise comes to the fore with a suspenseful finale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrensfilmposter.jpg (76.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th January 2016, 08:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's weird to listen to the True Blood commentaries with Steven Moyer because he has his English accent in the commentary booth but the Louisiana accident on the show, so every time you hear a bit of 'Vampire Bill', it's difficult to reconcile the same person is talking!

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 12th January 2016 at 08:35 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!