Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 5th June 2012 06:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 67778

Great film Bogart top notch as usual. Also POD the dog is close to stealing the show.:lol:

Attachment 67780

Hawkmonger 5th June 2012 07:00 PM

Prometheus: Oh er. :hand:
:Spoiler warning:
Yes, this was my most anticipated movie of the year.
Yes, In some respect's it did live up to the hype.
Yes, the first 2 Hours are sheer bliss for me, peacing together the nick-nack's and going "Oh my bloody god is that ....." every few moments when I see something I recognised.
But i'm going to talk about the last 10 or so minuet's because, by god did they piss me off something terrible.

First, the 'Wagon Wheel'. This is gonna become the new Nuking the Fridge for me, the new Frying the Coke, the new Jumping the Shark.
Here the 'Space Jokey' Ship from Aliens has just been ramed by the SS Prometheus and is sent hurtling back to solid ground and it's side, causing it to role.
Now if Ridley Scott want's to have his Loony Tunes moment set in HIS universe, then that's fine by me......But when you have two charatcters RUNNING THE **** AWAY from it in a perfect straight line, not even twigging that they could move a couple of dozen feet to the left and avoid being crushed by the drokking thing, then I start to get a little peeved.
Is it over, hell no! When the ship crushes one of the lead females (Guess, it's the bitchy, sour faced one. Jog on Mr Scott) what does the other one do?
Cour infront of a rock formation and wait for it to crush her. Now I though "No. No he isn't. He can't possibly be so cliche" and yep, it happens.
The rock formation stop's the MILLION TONE SHIP from crushing her without even a shard of metal splintering in her direction. WRONG! :censored:
Suspension of disbelief? Even Ed Wood gave his characters more realistic luck!
More? Oh for the love of god. But this is where it get's really nasty for me.
A few muinets earlier we saw the last Space Jokey board the control deck of the ship JUST LIKE IN ALIEN (This scene is prolonged for optimum fangasm sake. It works) but we then cut to the collision.
So, then I presumed "right any moment where gonna cut back to his still breathing body and the chest buster is gonna pop out and, Hey presto, Alien set up' but NO! He get's the **** out of the ship ALIVE AND KICKING and chases our heroin into an escape modual (a part of the Prometheus that was ejected before collision, incase of any survivers) and goes all Michael Myers on her. OK, so Scott wanted him alive so he could make us shit ourself's, fine, he's gonna snap her neck and wander back into the ship and BAM! Chest Buster time. NO!
Instead a great big freacking Octopus chest buster extracted from the same female lead earlier in the film, attack's the grey bastard and mouth rapes him.
IN THE CAPSUAL. Not in the DECK OF THE ALIEN SHIP. But in the CAPSUAL.......Continuity just cried.
Then, Ridley Scott has the cheek to explain that there was reveal there was more than one ship and the Heroin and the decapitated android travel off into the sunset to have Halo Jones style adventures yaddayaddayadda.
.................................................. ...............
Then we get the chest buster scene. IN THE CAPSUAL. **** me Riddly Scott.
And, then, the Alien is about 5ft tall and look's more like the monstrosity from Aliens vs. Ninja. :doh:

Over all, the first two hours present a sci-fi movie to rival 2001 or Dune, but the ending hurt me physicaly and stanck of George Lucas. :mmph:
So i'm making two rating's, one for the first 2 Hours and a possible directors cut that should improve the ending, with any Luck.
A Freakin' awsome

Now for the last 10 minuets as they currently stand.
D Stinking

antmumford 5th June 2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248018)
Prometheus: Oh er. :hand:
:Spoiler warning:
Yes, this was my most anticipated movie of the year.
Yes, In some respect's it did live up to the hype.
Yes, the first 2 Hours are sheer bliss for me, peacing together the nick-nack's and going "Oh my bloody god is that ....." every few moments when I see something I recognised.
But i'm going to talk about the last 10 or so minuet's because, by god did they piss me off something terrible.

First, the 'Wagon Wheel'. This is gonna become the new Nuking the Fridge for me, the new Frying the Coke, the new Jumping the Shark.
Here the 'Space Jokey' Ship from Aliens has just been ramed by the SS Prometheus and is sent hurtling back to solid ground and it's side, causing it to role.
Now if Ridley Scott want's to have his Loony Tunes moment set in HIS universe, then that's fine by me......But when you have two charatcters RUNNING THE **** AWAY from it in a perfect straight line, not even twigging that they could move a couple of dozen feet to the left and avoid being crushed by the drokking thing, then I start to get a little peeved.
Is it over, hell no! When the ship crushes one of the lead females (Guess, it's the bitchy, sour faced one. Jog on Mr Scott) what does the other one do?
Cour infront of a rock formation and wait for it to crush her. Now I though "No. No he isn't. He can't possibly be so cliche" and yep, it happens.
The rock formation stop's the MILLION TONE SHIP from crushing her without even a shard of metal splintering in her direction. WRONG! :censored:
Suspension of disbelief? Even Ed Wood gave his characters more realistic luck!
More? Oh for the love of god. But this is where it get's really nasty for me.
A few muinets earlier we saw the last Space Jokey board the control deck of the ship JUST LIKE IN ALIEN (This scene is prolonged for optimum fangasm sake. It works) but we then cut to the collision.
So, then I presumed "right any moment where gonna cut back to his still breathing body and the chest buster is gonna pop out and, Hey presto, Alien set up' but NO! He get's the **** out of the ship ALIVE AND KICKING and chases our heroin into an escape modual (a part of the Prometheus that was ejected before collision, incase of any survivers) and goes all Michael Myers on her. OK, so Scott wanted him alive so he could make us shit ourself's, fine, he's gonna snap her neck and wander back into the ship and BAM! Chest Buster time. NO!
Instead a great big freacking Octopus chest buster extracted from the same female lead earlier in the film, attack's the grey bastard and mouth rapes him.
IN THE CAPSUAL. Not in the DECK OF THE ALIEN SHIP. But in the CAPSUAL.......Continuity just cried.
Then, Ridley Scott has the cheek to explain that there was reveal there was more than one ship and the Heroin and the decapitated android travel off into the sunset to have Halo Jones style adventures yaddayaddayadda.
And, then, the Alien is about 5ft tall and look's more like the monstrosity from Aliens vs. Ninja. :doh:

Over all, the first two hours present a sci-fi movie to rival 2001 or Dune, but the ending hurt me physicaly and stanck of George Lucas. :mmph:
So i'm making two rating's, one for the first 2 Hours and a possible directors cut that should improve the ending, with any Luck.
A Freakin' awsome

D Stinking

I agree with every word. A fantastic film until the last 10 minutes.

It was much better than I initially expected after the average reviews popping up everywhere

PaulD 5th June 2012 08:45 PM

Prometheus SPOILERS

I agree with a lot of what Hawkmonger says, although my main gripe with the film was that it seemed like the first 25 minutes of Alien done thrice over and then a big spectacular ending. After the film ended I asked my girlfriend what she thought and she said "It was good, yeah, but it just seemed to be a bit of a bad day out didn't it?" and I agree - it needed more plot. Some of the characters were so under-developed it was just silly - the bit at the end where Shaw asks the captain to fly Prometheus into the Engineers' ship seemed like it was meant to be a moving and emotive bit with the whole thing about the bet and the line "I'll pay you on the other side" stuff and maybe it would have been had those characters said more than 15 words each throughout the whole film. Definitely far too many characters in it and the deaths of the crew generally had little repercussions or acknowledgment anyway. Oh and the last 15 seconds were unnecessary and just lazy fan service, although I suspect I'm in the minority with that.

These are all script issues and the film itself was great - well directed, incredible set design, general great performances (Fassbender stole the show) and the 2D was spectacular.

Overall, I did enjoy it a hell of a lot though, just wish the script/story had been stronger.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th June 2012 08:52 PM

[spoiler]I really wish Scott had said the planet was LV-426, and had the engineer go back to the derelict after he had been impregnated at the end. I would've accepted anything If he had done that simple thing.[/spoiler]

mercury 5th June 2012 08:53 PM

Inception:pop2::cool:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th June 2012 09:58 PM

AvP2 Requiem

My third viewing for this film and certainly the last.

Its one of those films i feel i should like but i can never enjoy it.

How can the Brothers Strausse mess the core elements up so terribly?

What more do they need? Aliens, check, Predators, check, audience anticipation and understanding, check. Seriously its not rocket science to make an enjoyable romp with these elements.

Where did they go wrong? Obviously i guess most of you have suffered it so you know where they went wrong. They filmed the entire bloody thing in pitch black. Why???????

The Alien and Predator creatures have been in a total of seven films between them, we know what they bloody look like, you don't need to hide them in darkness for ninety minutes. For christ sakes, in one film a Predator patched itself up in someones bathroom, and in Alien Resurrection the camera lovingly studied the Xenomorphs when they were held captive. Such a stupid directorial error.

Added to the fact the unknown actors had less talent than an X Factor wannabe it makes me wonder how the project got past the concept stage.

Gojirosan 5th June 2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 248071)
AvP2 Requiem

My third viewing for this film and certainly the last.

Its one of those films i feel i should like but i can never enjoy it.

How can the Brothers Strausse mess the core elements up so terribly?

What more do they need? Aliens, check, Predators, check, audience anticipation and understanding, check. Seriously its not rocket science to make an enjoyable romp with these elements.

Where did they go wrong? Obviously i guess most of you have suffered it so you know where they went wrong. They filmed the entire bloody thing in pitch black. Why???????

The Alien and Predator creatures have been in a total of seven films between them, we know what they bloody look like, you don't need to hide them in darkness for ninety minutes. For christ sakes, in one film a Predator patched itself up in someones bathroom, and in Alien Resurrection the camera lovingly studied the Xenomorphs when they were held captive. Such a stupid directorial error.

Added to the fact the unknown actors had less talent than an X Factor wannabe it makes me wonder how the project got past the concept stage.

I found the only way to enjoy it was to watch it in black and white and pretend it was an Ed Wood film.

Gojirosan 5th June 2012 11:33 PM

The Thing - 2011 US/Can d:Matthijs van Heijningen Jr

A poor SF/horror effort akin to a below par SyFy Channel film with a higher budget. Not especially well made - at least, there is nothing interesting about it - and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is simply too poor an actor to carry the lead in a film. The script is not good.

By about the 50 minute mark, I was finding my attention wandering. Not something I can recommend.

Slippery Jack 5th June 2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 248062)
[spoiler]I really wish Scott had said the planet was LV-426, and had the engineer go back to the derelict after he had been impregnated at the end. I would've accepted anything If he had done that simple thing.[/spoiler]

But wouldn't that have been a crap ending too? Engineer goes back to ship and sits down. THE END (but its good cuz it spells out wot we saw in Alien see?!). Why would he go back and sit in the pilot seat of his wrecked ship anyhoo? I admire Scott for not taking the needless continuity route (Red Dragon is the worst for that) . . .

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 248083)
But wouldn't that have been a crap ending too? Engineer goes back to ship and sits down. THE END (but its good cuz it spells out wot we saw in Alien see?!). Why would he go back and sit in the pilot seat of his wrecked ship anyhoo? I admire Scott for not taking the needless continuity route (Red Dragon is the worst for that) . . .

[spoiler]It's all a moot point anyway, since it's not the same ship or planet.They just have a terrible habit of wreching their ships. :lol:[/spoiler]

antmumford 6th June 2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 248086)
[spoiler]It's all a moot point anyway, since it's not the same ship or planet.They just have a terrible habit of wreching their ships. :lol:[/spoiler]

Those spoiler tags don't work on this forum. Is there an alternative SPOILER tag that we can use on here?

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 248090)
Those spoiler tags don't work on this forum. Is there an alternative SPOILER tag that we can use on here?

That's weird, they work on the tapatalk app. Very strange.

Hawkmonger 6th June 2012 08:01 AM

Show me the directors cut, Mr Scott, and I'd be happy to change my mind.
And it occured to me last night that the Octopussy was actualy a primative Face-Hugger. This doesn't change my opinion on then ending.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 248090)

This is the code (only withoutthe initial space):

[ spoiler=what the spoiler refers to]The spoiler itself[/spoiler]

So it would work like this:

SPOILER:
Bruce Willis' character is dead

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 248109)

SPOILER:

Completely weird way to do it if you ask me.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 248110)
Completely weird way to do it if you ask me.

I suppose doing it that way would mean you can have specific spoilers about certain parts of the film under discussion so, talking about Prometheus, you could have a spoiler about David, a spoiler about the ending, a spoiler about Peter Weyland, a spoiler about Vickers etc without putting everything into one huge spoiler box.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 248112)
I suppose doing it that way would mean you can have specific spoilers about certain parts of the film under discussion so, talking about Prometheus, you could have a spoiler about David, a spoiler about the ending, a spoiler about Peter Weyland, a spoiler about Vickers etc without putting everything into one huge spoiler box.

That's very true. Wish someone had told me it wasn't working when I posted my first one. :)

Gojirosan 6th June 2012 10:47 AM

SPOILER:
It sucks

Susan Foreman 6th June 2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

SPOILER:

Bloody hell

I HAD to click on it, didn't I!!!!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

SPOILER:

Really weird (and slightly long-winded) way of doing it, but thanks for the demo Nos!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 248137)
Really weird (and slightly long-winded) way of doing it, but thanks for the demo Nos!

No problem. If you can't remember it, the best thing to do is to bookmark this page so, when you need to use spoiler tags, just come here and copy the code!

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 12:34 PM

I hope the forums aren't going to be filled with spoiler tabs for the slightest thing like some forums are.

Digital Spy i'm looking at you.

Baseball Fury 6th June 2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

A Freakin' awsome

D Stinking
Apart from the fact that (a) it's a completely different planet, (b) therefore a completely different engineer and (c) clearly a different species of xenomorph/weapon/cleanser/whatever.

Seriously, were you not paying attention? LV223, not 426, and the engineer/space jockey was nowhere near the same size! Also, i'm pretty sure the eggs in Alien wouldn't take 30 years to hatch!

Gojirosan 6th June 2012 04:49 PM

The Return Of The Living Dead - 1985 US D: Dan O'Bannon

Whilst still fun, I was a little disappointed revisiting this much loved comedy.

It's simply not as good as I remember it being (I haven't seen it since the 80s). It particularly doesn't seem as funny as I remember. Also the music, whilst I remember the amazing punk and psychobilly that's here, my memory had been wiped of the dreadful theme music and insipid synth pop that crops up. It's all seems so..."just another 80s American horror flick" now, and I thought it was a bit more special than that.

Then there's the presentation: the Blu-Ray looks OK (nothing special, but nothing to complain about in terms of picture and sound quality, it's perfectly adequate) but the crop to 16:9 is horrible. OK, so this is how it would have been screened in cinemas across the US in the 80s, but the film was quite clearly framed at 4:3 during shooting. You need only watch the scene where the mortician interrogates the ancient female zombie tied to his slab to see that the actors' heads are cut off at nose level! It looks terrible and very distracting! An included 4:3 version (even in SD) would have been nice.

The steelbook itself is lovely looking though. One of the nicest designed steels I have seen.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 248155)
I hope the forums aren't going to be filled with spoiler tabs for the slightest thing like some forums are.

Digital Spy i'm looking at you.

I imagine (and hope) they'll be used sparingly, only as often as people write SPOILER in a post before putting some potential spoilers in a discussion of a film they've just seen.

Kyle 6th June 2012 05:19 PM

watched Prometheus yesterday, its a good film but i dont get why everyone is saying how fantastic it is, 7/10
(everyone meaning general people i know,not people on here )

Slippery Jack 6th June 2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 248211)
watched Prometheus yesterday, its a good film but i dont get why everyone is saying how fantastic it is, 7/10
(everyone meaning general people i know,not people on here )

Really? All the general people I know seemed to share my "meh, it was aaalright" stance (actually, I liked it a bit less than that) . . .

Gojirosan 6th June 2012 08:00 PM

More Brains! A Return To The Living Dead - 2011 US d:Bill Philputt

Interesting but staggeringly overlong "making of" documentary. Neither Dan O'Bannon nor Jewel Shepard come out of it very well...typical really, I always thought Jewel Shepard was the fittest woman in the film and it's just like me to fall for the crazy selfish bitch! :lol:

It's worth a watch if you like the film, but it's not a classic film documentary.

pedromonkey 6th June 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 248255)
More Brains! A Return To The Living Dead - 2011 US d:Bill Philputt

Interesting but staggeringly overlong "making of" documentary. Neither Dan O'Bannon nor Jewel Shepard come out of it very well...typical really, I always thought Jewel Shepard was the fittest woman in the film and it's just like me to fall for the crazy selfish bitch! :lol:

It's worth a watch if you like the film, but it's not a classic film documentary.

O'Bannon comes across as a bit of a dick during that doc. It seemed as if he was a prize prima donna during the making and although Jewel Shepard was quite beautiful in the film, she seems like a real nightmare of a person in reality.

Hawkmonger 6th June 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 248177)
Apart from the fact that (a) it's a completely different planet, (b) therefore a completely different engineer and (c) clearly a different species of xenomorph/weapon/cleanser/whatever.

Seriously, were you not paying attention? LV223, not 426, and the engineer/space jockey was nowhere near the same size! Also, i'm pretty sure the eggs in Alien wouldn't take 30 years to hatch!

I appologise on all 3 accounts but this doesnt change my opinion what-so-ever.
I was led to believe it was an Alien prequal by Mr Scott himself despite all his question dodging and tongue twisting, and he did not deliver the good's.
Yes, it was enourmasly fun that we got to find the history of the Space Jokey but jog on, I wanted to find out where the Xenomorph's originated.
I'll still go and see any sequal that anyone chuck's out there.:rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248259)

Even the Strausse Brothers? :tongue1:

Gojirosan 6th June 2012 11:21 PM

The Woman In Black - 2012 UK/Can/Swe d: James Watkins

Decently directed, glorious production design, beautiful locations...all let down by a script that might as well be "K.Tel Presents Classic Ghost Story Greatest Hits" and a truly abysmal lead performance from an actor lacking the talent and charisma to carry off what is essentially a one man show. Daniel Radcliffe is Hayden Christensen/Chris Hemsworth bad here! A wasted opportunity. Even replacing Radcliffe with a more suitable actor could have been enough to save things.

re.form 6th June 2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

I was led to believe it was an Alien prequal by Mr Scott himself despite all his question dodging and tongue twisting, and he did not deliver the good's.
Yes, it was enourmasly fun that we got to find the history of the Space Jokey but jog on, I wanted to find out where the Xenomorph's originated.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm usually on an Island with my opinions, so feel free to ignore.

I watched this tonight in stunning 2D.

If this isn't a prequel to Alien, I honestly don't know what is. It was clear as day to me. The origin of the Xenomoph - it's all there. It's all in the DNA/reproduction/life cycle/ of the beast in question. It showed you the history of it in high definition and very clearly. (See the final image of the film).

For the record, Ridley Scott told Kermode and Mayo last week that there would be two more movies before it reaches the timeline of the original Alien movie. That's where LV426 will come into play. And plenty more opportunities to show things in more detail.

(BTW for all you nerdish types like me -- there's a clear link between this film and Alien. And possibly only Alien. There's a worn old debate in the dark bowels of the internet that Cameron ruined the life cycle and mystique of the Alien when he brought in the Queen alien in his sequel. I don't agree -- as I love Aliens probably more that Alien -- but I think Ridley's only Canon here is what was in the original.)

Anyway, I'm tired, rambling and probably wrong.

For the record, I thought Prometheus was great. Although the pacing was a little off -- no doubt there will be 40 minutes added to special edition, because character archs seemed to rushed
or left out altogether.

I give it 8/10.

Jinx_Barkman 7th June 2012 03:44 AM

I just got back from the cinema which was screening The Exorcist as part of a weekly classic film series. At the risk of sounding redundant I'll keep it rather short...It's still such a marvelous film that perfectly balances nuance, gratuity, and atmosphere that it is simply emotionally draining.

Now it's time to go and watch Friedkin's The Guardian.

artisturn 7th June 2012 04:41 AM

2 Headed Shark Attack (2012)

Kyle 7th June 2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 248218)
Really? All the general people I know seemed to share my "meh, it was aaalright" stance (actually, I liked it a bit less than that) . . .

must just be that the people i know are mental then :P glad im not the only one.

i watched snow white and the huntsman last night and was really impressed, a great version of the tale and the dwarfs were fantastic es[especially ray winstone,.

keirarts 7th June 2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

After the aliens vs predator movies and alien ressurection (both dreadful, worthless pieces of trash with no merit) I'm a bit more choosy these days. Certainly I'll avoid anything that even threatens anything as idiotic as the 'predalien'.

Anyhoo back to topic.

Last night I watched..

FURY. Canadian noir crime thriller with Sam jackson. A conman gets released from prison after serving 25 years for murder only to find himself being drawn back in to a life of crime by the son of the man he killed. Features a twist nicked entirely from a certain notorious and brilliant korean movie the film may prove a little to slow for modern audiences but I enjoyed it. Also a great performance from Tom wilkinson as an evil crime boss.

SHAME. I've always found it tough to empathise with people who claim to be sex addicts, maybe because its always been an uphill struggle for me to get some action but people whose main problem is getting far too much sex has never elicited the same sympathy as drug addiction. Shame probably comes as close as anything to reversing that opinion, especially thanks to the brave and billiant central performance from michael fassbender. Its a bleak and harrowing film that manages to suggest a lot about the character while saying very little. More enjoyable than I eexpected.

Hawkmonger 7th June 2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 248304)
Even the Strausse Brothers? :tongue1:

Oh to hell with that!

Demoncrat 7th June 2012 09:24 AM

The Raid. now i've just had the interesting news that my local (haha) cinema of note is showing Quatermass & The Pit (AND Plague of the Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) shortly. :dance::rockon::bounce:

And still this balletic maelstorm kept my mind from wandering to this lovely thought.
Hollywood will be ripping his off for years to come (see remake in pipeline already........:doh:)
One of the few films to leave me breathless at the end.

What a week. Mate texts me "Have you heard of a film called Stalker??" "What, the Andrei Tarkovsky sci fi epic that i've raved about for years?" says i.:confused: "yes" is his reply......
he has a terrible memory as well it seems (this is the one who still has my Touch Of Death, but can't seem to go to a post office etc)
Civillians......i shit 'em. :lol: