All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2016, 07:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Just myself and Dem then for the fans of Lords of Salem or am i mistaken and im alone ?
No I really enjoyed it as I have zombies other movies
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st January 2016, 08:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I liked Lords of Salem too, but it was definitely Zombie tries to make an Argento and not quite succeeding, The Devil's Rejects was far far better!

I feel like I haven't watched a film in ages, I think Christmas was the last time... With the day job and 2 post Christmas assignments for Uni all I've done outside of that is watch (and finish) Season 3 of Star Trek TNG and watch half of Making a Murderer on Netflix! However today is the submission date for both assignments and I plan on watching movies at some point this week

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st January 2016, 10:37 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I liked Lords of Salem too, but it was definitely Zombie tries to make an Argento and not quite succeeding, The Devil's Rejects was far far better!
When you say 'An Argento' do you mean Suspiria, Inferno etc or Trauma, The Card Player etc. If you nean the latter then i disagree as it's a far more accomplished film than any of Dario's later works.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
When you say 'An Argento' do you mean Suspiria, Inferno etc or Trauma, The Card Player etc. If you nean the latter then i disagree as it's a far more accomplished film than any of Dario's later works.
It's definitely a take on the Three Sisters trilogy!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st January 2016, 11:14 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's definitely a take on the Three Sisters trilogy!
Yes i suppose it is. If the three sisters were Salem witches and not from across the world.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 21st January 2016, 12:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Interstellar - £5 from the supermarket.

I watched one of those 'everything wrong with ..... in .... mins youtube videos the other day and Interstellar came up, the idiot narrating got to a stage early in the film where he said 'Is this movie just Signs 2?' and i stopped the video. Call me sad folks but i enjoyed Signs the first time around and this movie looked quite interesting dispite the god awful casting o its main actors and i was right.
I enjoyed the movie, i loved the robots in the film especially TARS, the other planets were well thought out and well shot in a classic Nolan style, the pace was good and not effected by that Ann whats her name trying to squeese out some emotion from he terrible acting style, all in all it was a good movie to pickle the brain. After researching 'A Space Oddesey' from Clarke's perspective and listening to the audiobook of the story i thought it all sounded very reminicent of 'A Space Odd' but the ending was told in a more un-ambiguous way so that we won;t be left asking 'what?' years after Nolan is dead.

A few pages back Nordicdust reccomened a documentary called 'Adjust your tracking' i'm still trying to find it online, that looks like a fantastic little movie! i just wanted to remind everyone how nice it is to read the forum and still find things you haven;t seen when you're in the company of other people who have also made a life choice to watch more films than is humanly possible! Thanks folks.

Last edited by Vipp; 21st January 2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 21st January 2016, 12:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

X-RAY – Another one which I vaguely recall seeing once on bootleg – didn't get very far with it, back then. 88 Film's recent release therefore comes as a nice surprise, revealing an odd, lopsided slasher which amuses through its lack of competence but intrigues with its casual strangeness. 'X-Ray' is the unlikely tale of a woman lost in a hospital, desperately in search of the results of some check up or other. Her quest is held up when she's waylaid by a frankly quite rapey surgeon and his cronies who insist on imposing a regimen of intrusive examinations. At the same time there's a killer loose in the hospital who seems quite keen to get to her on the back of a fairly preposterous history of Valentine's Day humiliation. 'X-Ray' has a slightly surreal atmosphere about it. I'm pretty sure that the filmmakers weren't trying to recreate Kafka within the confines of a two bit horror knock off, but there is a sense of 'the institution as unfathomable monster' as the central character wanders around and falls foul of one disjointed scenario after the next, whether this involves men in lifts eating sinister burgers, or that odd trio of female patients who almost seem absent without leave from a Monty Python sketch. There's a pile-up of discrepancies and inconsistencies which will leave many baffled – why all the satanic chanting and whispering during some of the killer's scenes? It's as if they were using left overs from someone else's film. In fact, the flick itself feels like it was strung together out of slasher cast-offs, which have somehow come together here in a wonky but satisfying whole. Really liked, highly recommend.

SPLIT SECOND – I remember this one too, almost. One of those early nineties VHS rentals which seemed to casually toss bits of other, greater films into an action-horror bouillabaisse – there were so many iterations of that kind of thing around back then, but, prior to slipping in the new Blu-ray, my only memory was of Rutger Hauer prancing around a cheap 'Blade Runner'-esque knock off 'future London' set looking haunted. On seeing the film again the other day, I'm happy to congratulate my younger self on capturing the salient aspect of 'Split Second', which is basically as above – Rutger Hauer running around with that Rutger Hauer look on his face. Why is he running? He's a cop on the tail of, or being pursued by, the entity who killed his former partner. He's stressed and hard bitten, and gets to diss his green forensic profiler type assistant in numerous unfunny scenes. Kim Cattrell is in there somewhere, as is an 'Alien' type assailant who appears disappointingly briefly. It ambles along OK and delivers some nice bits here and there, but I thought it needed to tighten up quite a lot, or at least show something else other than Hauer in pursuit, or, even worse, engaging in lengthy dialogue. Still, worth checking out, and I should watch it again to find out whether more can be gleaned, as I do really like those early nineties slick bathed-in-neon aesthetics.

VENDETTA – Cop flips out and ends up doing hard time when he shoots the brother of the bad boy who killed his wife. Actually, it was his intention all along to be locked up in the same supermax as aforementioned bad boy in order to implement the whole bloody process of revenge, so cue the inevitable pummelings and the sound of a hulking bald guy's evil laughter. 'Vendetta' comes from former genre hot-shots the Soska sisters who had a hit with bona fide cult item 'American Mary', only to tumble into mediocrity with the incredibly average 'See No Evil 2'. 'Vendetta' isn't a total return to form, but it's several steps in the right direction, and works really well as a lean, nasty machine full of vicious violence and B-movie stock-in-trades, such as the corrupt warden running the show etc etc. Definitely one for the brute in you – the fights, driven on by a contrived atmosphere of injustice, are relentless, and the gore level is high. Cathartic? Maybe. Ludicrous? Really very likely. Entertaining? Absolutely. A latter day exploitation hit, as callous and as unreal as it needs to be.
Old 21st January 2016, 02:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

X Ray is fun imo.

Watched The Revenant

It screams "give us Oscars!" Hardy mumbles, though nae as effectively as in Lawless, LDC....still just doesn't convince. Better film than THE (hmmm, just noticed that.....The Hateful Eight ahem. Some scenes are quite gripping.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st January 2016, 07:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

But I'm a Cheerleader (1999)

68/100
Old 21st January 2016, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Three Musketeers (2011)

Paul WS Anderson's version of the classic Dumas tale won't please everyone, however i find it very enjoyable.

The witty script clips along at a tremendous pace and isn't afraid to be silly or indeed ludicrous with it's set pieces - Air ship battle - i'm looking at you here.

Coming over as more comic book than classic French literature, Anderson's film works because of it's differences and the liberties it takes with the source material meaning it's a lot less po-faced and a hell of a lot more entertaining than most filmed versions.

It's not all silliness though. The film has a better cast than you would expect. Matthew Macfadyen, Luke Evans and Ray Stevenson make a fine trio of Musketeers, even if Logan Lerman is a little miscast as D'Artagnan. Milla Jovovich, Mads Mikkelsen, Orlando Bloom and the wonderful Christoph Waltz add colour, and in Waltz's case, sneery villainy, to the fun production.

As with all Anderson's films The Three Musketeers will have more haters than fans but i for one rather enjoy this action packed, often madcap, romp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Three-Musketeers-2011-In-Hindi.jpg (101.9 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!